Goodbye For Now Dempsey

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

We unexpectedly had to let Dempsey go Thursday night around 1:00am. When I came home from work, he couldn't stand well on his own. It quickly deteriorated to the point where he could not stand or move his back legs. An x-ray of the spine as well as the back legs did not show any obvious problems. Any treatment we would have tried would have involved him staying in ICU at least a couple of days at the bare minimum. He was so, so scared there and had already been through so much with the osteo, amputation, chemo, etc. He made it through ICU then but hated it. Knowing that it was in his best interests then got me through that. I knew the other night that if I tried to have him treated further it would be about me and not about him.

When Dempsey was diagnosed with osteo, I promised him that I would always make decisions based on his best interests and his needs, never out of my own selfish wants. No matter how much I'd want him to stay with me, I had told him that I would make the decision to let him go when the time came and let him die with dignity. I kept my promised. When I made the decision, a very serene and peaceful feeling came over my body. I stayed so calm until I knew the first shot was taking effect and then I just sobbed and sobbed. I saw the life leave my sweet boy's eyes and I couldn't stand it. It's so unnatural to let someone end my Dempsey's life, even when I know it was best for him. Like most people in this situation, I'm second guessing myself and wondering "what if". I know that no matter what the cause was of his medical problems, there would not have been a quick, easy solution. And there wouldn't have been a guarantee that he would have gone right back to his normal capabilities. With not having both front legs and being 12 1/2, I don't think he could have managed any loss of strength in the remaining legs. I try to remind myself that I have always known in my heart what was best for Dempsey and done that. I should know that this time was no different either, except I no longer have him with me and my heart feels like it is shattered into a million little pieces. I can't stand to be here in my house with all the reminders, yet I can't stand to be where there are none.

We were so blessed to have Dempsey in our lives for 9 1/2 years and so blessed to have had him with us 8 months after his osteo diagnosis. I wish I had the words to honor him now the way he deserved. Dempsey was the first pet I got as an adult and my relationship with him lasted longer than any relationship I've had with a human. He was with me through graduate school, losses and other heartaches, starting my first job, buying our first house, getting married- and he was an important part of each and every day of my life.

Dempsey I love you so much. It kills me not to have you here with me but I know you are in a better place, waiting for me. You are whole again, in no pain, and you have no fear. I know you don't blame me for letting you go and I know I'll see you again someday. In the meantime, run free sweet baby, play hard, and hog the couch all to yourself like you did here at home. I love you forever Dempsey.

Heather

Dempsey (Dewey Fine Line)

March 6, 1996 - August 28, 2008

Never forgotten, always loved.

DSC01643.jpg

CSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Dempsey. He was a handsome and courageous boy.

:grouphug:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I am very sorry for your loss, Dempsey was a beauty and a fighter. To have gone through all he did and come back to you the first time shows his spirit and courage.

You were there with him until the end and you had his interests at heart, that is all he would have asked of you...run free Dempsey.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:f_red I am so so sorry. In the short time I've been on here, I always felt your love for Dempsey. You are in my prayers and God speed Dempsey

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so sorry for your loss of Dempsey. He was so fortunate to be so loved. Godspeed! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis