Elevated Kidney Values

Guest Greyhounds4ever

Guest Greyhounds4ever

Okay, I took my Terra in to the Vet this morning for her dental. They did the pre-op blood work on her and called me about 10:30 saying her kidney values were elevated and they couldn't do the dental surgery on her. They are hydrating her, starting her on antibiotics and said I could pick her up after 2:00 this afternoon. As far as the elevated kidney values are concerned, what is this suggestive of. What do I have to look forward to? Terra is 12yrs/8mos and not a spring chicken any longer.I'm worried about her...

Alan has elevated kidney enzymes - he has hypertension and kidney disease which is being managed by medicines and diet. You'll probably have urine tests done as well and I believe putting all that together will give you a diagnosis. Good luck. Sending prayers and update when you can.

Sounds pretty normal for a greyhound. Might have a UTI or just be a little dehydrated.

RBC and HCT runs very high in a greyhound. HCT should be over 55 (can go up to 65) and the RBC is usually 8 to 9, WBC runs low sometimes 3.0 or a little higher.

Email me at Burpdog@msn.com and I will send you the medical inserts Dr. Feeman prepared.

All in all, in that age girl I wouldn't be concerned at all.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

They need to test her urine now. If it's normal, the values are probably just normal for her. I believe the specific gravity is what they need to determine, and also they check for protein and blood.

My vet ran and reran blood work on George until I sent his results to Dr. Couto. He said that given his TOTALLY normal urine, he would not consider his values abnormal at all for a greyhound--but they were much lower than the values you posted.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest HeatherDemps

Earlier this month, Dempsey had elevated kidney values. We reran the test a week later and they were down to more normal and they also did an additional urine test that checked specifically for early kidney disease- I can't remember what it was called though.

Agreed, check her urine. I would hope your vet would have already done that. If her urine isn't concentrated, that's more indicative of a problem with the kidneys. The specific gravity will tell you that.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest greytbookert

I agree with what has been posted, urine test is in order. I would also ask if she was super stressed being at the vet. One of ours test come back all wacky if he is there for too long before a procedure. Now, he goes in right before the procedure, literally no waiting we get there and he goes right out back.

Guest Cris_M

I saw that you wrote NaturallyGrey also. The important thing that you mentioned there that you didn't mention here is that Terra is rawfed. That totally screws up what is "normal" for blood values. If you fast her for a minimum of 12 hours and then retest her, your results will not be affected by the raw meat she is eating. If they don't come back normal or close to it, then you can be concerned.

The only caveat I have is that, if she gets stressed at the vet's, the values will still be off. Probably not as much, though.

(Went through the same thing with Duncan.)