Strange Symptoms: Need Advice

Garry (7 year shy, nervous male) always had a runny nose. the last couple weeks or so it is literally pouring out of his nose. when he lays on his blanket, there are wet spots. it clear. no other symptoms until last week... he occasionally screams when being pet. I have felt all over him, bent his legs, checked his feet and cannot find anything. he doesn't react at all when i check him. Last week there was a squirrel "incident" and my female and him pulled in different directions. I posted about Missy having difficulty walking upon returning. (she is fine now after 2 acupuncture treatments). Maybe Garry was injured as well..but he doesn't cry every time he is petted and does not react at all when I "pat him down". I am sure I didnt do a good thing, but I gave him a little of Missy's metacam today as he cried when acupuncurist pet him; then let her check him over. any advice? I don't know how long to wait until I take him to the vet without anything specific. (and I am not able to drive now due to my recent spinal surgery). thanks

I would maybe call the vet and ask if this behaviour is something you should be worried about. If you explain that you are unable to drive due to your surgery, they might be willing to offer advice over the phone.

Constant runny rose and screaming sounds like he might be in pain and I would get that checked out.

When you pet him and he screams, are you always petting the same area or does he scream when you touch miscellaneous spots?

Image removed. Not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 17.51 KB (17,929 bytes) file size.

Guest longdogs

This doesn't sound right. Maybe he actually has problem associated with his nose. I wouldn't give him the metacam. If you are going to use it, it needs to be given according to the dosage instructions and takes a day or two to work properly, it's not something you can give casually. You need to assess him realistically. If you are are sure something is wrong and you can't work out what it is, you need to discuss it with your vet. They aren't going to diagnose it over the 'phone. Can you get a lift, or a taxi, or can a vet call?

Guest StriderDog

Sounds like pain to me - maybe a pinched nerve that doesn't present when he's patted down? Often times I've found that phantom pain that refuses to be identified is coming from their neck.'

The runny nose may be a secondary symptom, though. Strider's got a naturally runny nose that gets worse when he's stressed.

Guest SusanP

Can a friend drive you to the vet with him? It does sound like a problem with pain, and it's been going on awhile. I would not rely just on an accupuncturist for something like this. He needs a vet.

Sounds like pain to me - maybe a pinched nerve that doesn't present when he's patted down? Often times I've found that phantom pain that refuses to be identified is coming from their neck.'

The runny nose may be a secondary symptom, though. Strider's got a naturally runny nose that gets worse when he's stressed.

Garry does have a naturally runny nose..so I guess this increase is related to stress. he was fine on his walk this mornng with my husband..cried when he first stood up after lounging for quite a few hours..then was fine. I know I need to get him to the vet....my husband is being a royal pain in the **** about the dogs during my recovery. I am actually hesitating asking him to take me because of the reaction I will get..but that is another story. thanks for the input.

I hope you were able to get him to the vet. :grouphug

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

The nose running isn't as concerning to me as the pain and crying out. He might have just sprained something going after the squirrel, but only a vet will know for sure. Good luck.

Garry seems much better. I stopped giving him the metacam after the initial dose...hasn't had anymore crying episodes when being petted..is fine on walks. Only one time a couple days ago he cried when he got up but then two minutes later was jumping to go for a walk. I am keeping a watchful eye on him.