Cougar At E-vet

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Power at e-vet was off and on last night, but she got x-rays about 1am. The spacing between his 4th and 5th vertebrae concerned her as there was less space than between the other ones. She also x-rayed his femur (I think), it was a shot of his shoulder and leg, because of the prevalence of bone cancer in older greys, but he look good so that was a relief. So glad she went ahead and checked it out.

Transported him back to regular vet around 8am. He was still a little dopey, but was able to jump into the back of the car on his own. He was laying down, but panting slightly. Nothing like the panting last night. Regular vet is keeping to observe and has given more muscle relaxer.

I jetted home to let Coach out during my lunch break since I'll go back to the vet this evening to pick up Cougar and bring him home.

I'm thankful it wasn't a break and there is no sign of cancer. Still hoping for the best with a pulled muscle or something, but if it is the vertebrae spacing thing they indicated rest (which won't be a problem) and pain medicine may be effective.

Thanks so much for the prayers!

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Cougar is back home and pretty comfortable. When he went from his laying down with his head lifted to flat over on his side he gave a small scream, but he's not as shaky or panting like he was earlier. He is drinking a fair amount of water, but isn't interested in eating his supper. Very unusual for him, but he's been through a lot the last two days.

I'm just trying to let him rest an he has an anti-inflammatory and pain medication to take tomorrow. He's a wee bit disoriented (I'm not sure that's the right word), but overall he appears fairly comfortable. I may offer him a spoon of yogurt or something.

Still not quite sure what's going on, but hoping he's on the upswing.

Awww...poor little sweetie. Probably until he feels better...it will be people food only. Hug him for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thursday lunchtime update on Cougar -

Last night, Cougar laid down beside the bathtub and he had a huge bruise on his belly (maybe his flank?). AT 8:30 I called the vet because I was worried it might be internal bleeding from the meds or something. He had us put an ice pack on it and monitor for the next hour. When 9:30 rolled around he was in there dreaming with his feet twitching as if he were running. He remained there asleep until about 10:30 when he summoned the energy to propel himself up on our bed. It was a two part process but somehow he managed to do it. He slept really well until about 1:30 when after Coach went out, he got up to go out (normal routine). He returned to sleep on a dog bed until about 3 when he went into my son's room to check on DH and son and then he laid in his crate (this is also normal routine about that time of night). He ate a good breakfast and took his medicine. He moves painfully, but he is probably 85% himself again with the exception of the limpish walk.

I am now officially the crazy dog lady. When he jumped back off the bed in the night, I pulled the mattress down and moved the box springs and frame out of the way. He didn't get back up there until now, but Coach loved it during the night as she has weak hind legs and has to get a running start to make it up. My son was tickled by it and wants to keep it that way forever. :)

Trying to keep him rested and stress free. If anything changes, I'll update again.

I am very happy to hear that Cougar is starting to feel better, we will continue to say prayers that he has a complete recovery real soon. The sleeping arrangement sounds like it was a good idea for all.. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

That's great news about Cougar! :yay Continuing prayers for both of your pupstersl :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Sunday afternoon - Cougar update -

Cougar had been doing really well considering the condition he was in when he first injuried his leg/back/neck on Tuesday night. He had been resting incredibly well until last night. Before getting in the bed myself, I touched up his corns with the dremel as they are due to be hulled, but the vet didn't want to mess with them on top of everything else that has him stressed out. Once I got in the bed last night, he didn't want to lay back on there (remember - the mattress is directly on the floor at this point). He roved around the house, standing in bathrooms and closets and for small spurts would lay on dog beds or in his crate, but he was panting a lot. We opened the door for him several times during the night and he went out a few of those times.

This morning, he again ate really well and took his medicine. He did settle down after that from about 7am to 9am when we got up and left for church. Upon returning from church and lunch, he trotted out of his crate, went outside to pee, took a sip of water and settled back down on the bed. When I came into the computer room, he ventured in here after picking up a rawhide and has settled on the bed beside of me. He is still not wanting to use that front leg too much and he walks very stiffly, but the panting has subsided for the moment. Well, he just hauled it up and went out in the main part of the house again for a sip of water.

What a roller coaster! He improved so quickly, I guess I was hoping that he would just go ahead and heal up in just a few days. Not so easy to do when you are just shy of 12, I guess.

The hardest part for me is when he is distressed and I don't know what I can do for him.

Thanks for the continued good thoughts.

Lots of hugs. Hope he continues to do better day by day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So glad that you are seeing progress. Sending more prayers and of course hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.