Any Suggestions, Ideas, Etc.

Sterling had a dental cleaning yesterday because I noticed his gums over his upper canines was red and sore looking. After the procedure, my vet said he has gingivitis and a few teeth have exposed dentin due to his gums receding. I have the same problem :P but my question is: Is there a sensitive toothpaste (like Sensodyne) for dogs?? Can I use human toothpaste? My vet is going to try to find out but I thought someone on Greytalk might know.

Edited by SIGreyLady

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Sterling had a dental cleaning yesterday because I noticed his gums over his upper canines was red and sore looking. After the procedure, my vet said he has gingivitis and a few teeth have exposed dentin due to his gums receding. I have the same problem :P but my question is: Is there a sensitive toothpaste (like Sensodyne) for dogs?? Can I use human toothpaste? My vet is going to try to find out but I thought someone on Greytalk might know.

That's a great question, and I'll be interested in hearing if anyone has an answer. Misty and I both have it too :lol My vet has me rubbing her teeth and gums with Biotene which has really helped quite a bit.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest BlackandBrindle

Don't use human toothpaste for your dog.

A lot of human pastes contain things like xylitol which can cause death in canines. At the very least, it's going to be an irritant to their stomach and cause gastric distress.

As far as a paste for dogs, I don't know the answer to that. :dunno

Definitely don't use human toothpaste - it can't be swallowed even by people, but people know that. Dogs don't.

You can just use a little peroxide on some gauze and clean his teeth that way, and not use toothpaste at all.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest SusanP

You can brush his teeth without any toothpaste. But dog toothpaste should be fine, unless you feel his teeth are too sensitive? I have a lot of exposed dentin, too, yet my teeth are ok for brushing--I just have to be careful eating pineapple or other acid fruits or swishing my mouth with cold water. If he doesn't seem to be jumping when you brush the areas, he's probably fine.

Don't use human toothpaste.

Does that help with sensitive teeth?

That's a great question, and I'll be interested in hearing if anyone has an answer. Misty and I both have it too :lol My vet has me rubbing her teeth and gums with Biotene which has really helped quite a bit.

Edited by SIGreyLady

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

I honestly am not sure. The Biotene has done wonders for her gums, but I'm not sure about the sensitivity. I also brush her teeth everyday and she doesn't have a problem with me doing it.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

CET toothpaste should be fine. I would also get CET mouth rinse to help with those gums. linky

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg