Milk Thistle . . . .how Much?

Guest BooMooandDoo

Guest BooMooandDoo

Tuck's blood values came back and his AST is a little more than double and his ALT is triple what they should be. . . .

The vet suggested I put him on milk thistle and take him off of thyroid meds, wait a month, and recheck.

The only thing is. . .he didn't say how much.

Anyone have the dosing info on how much to give a 54 lb dog (he should be 64 :( )

Dr said if he gets down to 52 we need to worry .. . .

Guest houndlover

Oh no! Poor Tuck. I just picked up some milk thistle for Casey but haven't given it to him yet b/c I wasn't sure how much to give him either. I think that there was a thread in here about dosage but I couldn't find it.

I hope that your boy is feeling better soon. :grouphug

A lot of people have seen great results with Liver Support Factors, rather than just milk thistle by itself (LSF includes milk thistle - here's a website about LSF and other supplements used for liver disease

LSF). Between this and sam-E (Denosyl in the veterinary formulation), Lexi's liver enzymes have finally normalized after 6 months on steroids and a drug-induced hepatitis.

Check with your vet to be sure either or both of the above are OK.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I tried to scale it down by weight, with a dog that weighed ~75 pounds (versus 150 pounds for the "average" person taking the capsule), and rolled in half the amount recommended for a human into his food. The power stuck nicely to the oily kibble.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I am giving Renie one 100mg (Whole Foods) milk thistle capsule twice a day. She also gets one Sam-e 200mg tablet twice a day.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Cullen got one milk thistle cap in the AM and one in the PM on vet's suggestion. His caps were 200 mgs. It was a wonder drug for lowering his alk phos while on phenobarbital.

Never heard of liver support factors. Thanks for the heads up, J.

Marcia in SC