Turning In Circles - Once, No Other Symptoms

My petsitter called me today - when she took the dogs out for a walk at lunchtime, here is what she described:

Rickie was going in a circle in a clockwise direction and his head was slightly tilted (into the circle). He looked like he might fall down as his legs were a bit weak looking but he did not fall down but I was afraid he was going to. He turned about 4 times (not in big cirlces but about the size of his body) and then I held his head and checked his eyes which stopped him going around.

He stood for a few seconds and then he recovered and headed off on his walk. The whole thing was probably no more than a minute or so - not really long but enough to make me concerned and to check him out and make sure he was o.k. but it had no ill effects I thought it might be a stroke or some kind of epileptic fit but nothing at all came of it and he was perfectly fine after the "episode".

He did normal poops and pees and when we got back he was happy to get his kong and seemed none the worse for his "turn"..

I left voicemail for the vet and we see him at 8:40 tomorrow AM, but in the meantime, I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My impression, which might be mistaken, is that with vestibular disease, once it sets in, it persists til it runs its course. This was very episodic.

When I got home from work he was completely normal, even bouncy. No idea what happened, worried it could be a symptom of something neurological.

If anyone has experiences to share, they would be most welcome.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Guest Cris_M

No greyhound experience, and I'm glad you are going to the vet. That should let you know if you can rule out or identify physical problems.

However, it is as likely (or more) that the spinning is behavioral in origin. It deals with boredom, excess energy and/or anxiety. Since it occurred while you were gone/just as the petsitter came, perhaps you could ask her to do something physically taxing (for the dog, not her!) every day. That way Rickie would have something to look forward to. Just a thought. (A variant of that worked for our terrier mix.)

from what you described, it sure sounds like Vestibular. I'm guessing he didn't have the eye movements (eyes darting from the middle out to the sides, then back again, over and over [nstigmus? sp?]). But the circles (and even more the head tilt) sure sound like GVD. And your assesment of GVD is what I understand it to be as well, it runs its course and usually disappears.

sending prayers he's okay! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I've not really got any advice but just wanted to say that Mokka (mixed breed aged almost 14) had one single episode of something similar sounding a few weeks ago. I grabbed the phone to call the vet but by the time I'd dialed she was back to normal and it's never happened again. Obviously if it does, I'll take her in but she's been perfectly normal since.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

He's not on any medications. As a matter of interest, what might that have suggested?

We just got back from the vet who did a thorough check of eyes, and ears, as well as the usual set of neurological tests for reflexes, proprioception, etc. He found nothing, which is good.

So we wait and watch to see if there is another occurrence, or if, as was the case with Bevd, it is an isolated event.

Thank you for your experiences and suggestions.

Guest larock

Mary,

Walter had a few episodes like this as well. Very scary but they didn't last too long and had no lasting affect. The VEC vet called it a "Senior Vestibular Event/Syndrome" and said it was something to do with the inner ear and quite common for an older dog. The most you can do it just try to keep them from falling or bumping into anything.

PM me later and let me know how he's doing or what the vet says...

Lynn

My petsitter called me today - when she took the dogs out for a walk at lunchtime, here is what she described:

Rickie was going in a circle in a clockwise direction and his head was slightly tilted (into the circle). He looked like he might fall down as his legs were a bit weak looking but he did not fall down but I was afraid he was going to. He turned about 4 times (not in big cirlces but about the size of his body) and then I held his head and checked his eyes which stopped him going around.

He stood for a few seconds and then he recovered and headed off on his walk. The whole thing was probably no more than a minute or so - not really long but enough to make me concerned and to check him out and make sure he was o.k. but it had no ill effects I thought it might be a stroke or some kind of epileptic fit but nothing at all came of it and he was perfectly fine after the "episode".

He did normal poops and pees and when we got back he was happy to get his kong and seemed none the worse for his "turn"..

I left voicemail for the vet and we see him at 8:40 tomorrow AM, but in the meantime, I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My impression, which might be mistaken, is that with vestibular disease, once it sets in, it persists til it runs its course. This was very episodic.

When I got home from work he was completely normal, even bouncy. No idea what happened, worried it could be a symptom of something neurological.

If anyone has experiences to share, they would be most welcome.

Sending prayers that it never happens again...I am so glad that the vet found nothing concerning. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sounds like what was described as Vestibular Disease in a back issue of Celebrating Greyhounds magaine I read recently. The turning in circles, cocking of the head, and weakness, inability to stand are all symptoms of this. The good thing is is that it corrects itself. Sometimes almost instantly and others it takes a few weeks.

Judy,

Mom to Nadir, Beanie, and Bruiser

Guest RooRoo

Oh Rickie! How strange... and scary. :unsure I hope this is just a random one-time occurrence. Glad it seems that way after the vet visit. Here's hoping little Rickie will continue to move forward from his already trying summer.

Take care!!

Maria with Rizzo & Kiwi