Ouch Corns

Guest claysmom

Guest claysmom

Hey all, Clay has a big ole nasty corn on one toe pad. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to how to successfully get rid of it without subjecting Clay to some surgery? I think I read somewhere that you can put corn remover on it and I thought then of soaking it after a day or two in epsoms salt then trying to take the dead skin off with a emery board then reapplying the corn remover. Hopefully if I am persistant enough it will go away. I just wanted some opinions on whethor or not this might be a good idea? I am also going to get a hold of a thera-paw bootie for him. Thanks for the help claysmom

Corn "hulling" as described here: http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm . Best done by a vet but no need for anaesthesia.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Cindy, you should call Brenda and Dan, one of their pups (Jet?) suffers with them so I'm sure they are very knowledgeable.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest KennelMom

I would definitely try hulling. Before we tried hulling we had good success managing corns by applying bag balm or thera-paw lotion after using a dremel to file it down. It wouldn't go away, but it would provide relief.

If the corn has been there awhile, there may be a buildup of callus around the corn, and that can be as painful to walk on as the corn was. You can dremel it back or have the vet trim it a little, and that may help pup feel better. The pad should feel soft; if it doesn't, there's either corn or callus still there, and it'll likely hurt to walk on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest claysmom
Cindy, you should call Brenda and Dan, one of their pups (Jet?) suffers with them so I'm sure they are very knowledgeable.

Thanks Jan, I do not have their phone#, do you possibly have it, if so just pm me and I will give them a call. Thanks again Cindy

Edited by claysmom