I Took My Dog Out

Guest Pamela

Guest Pamela

I took my dog out and so many people never even seen a greyhound so many question that it made me wonder

if we do enough for greyhounds. But some I talk to said that they make to hard to adopt. I hate to say this but I agree that some

greyhound groups do make it hard I live to hours from about 4 greyhound groups and it was to far for a home visit which I think needs to stop

that like saying you don't like the color of my rug you can not have a greyhound. But to get a greyhound you could just go to the track they give you

one. I have eight greyhounds my whole life after my last one died I moved to another state and getting a greyhound here was a joke until I found a great greyhound group in IN I need not have to have a fence around my yard thank god I have over 100 ares of land. I think was funny if you going to take care

of you dog your going to take it out with a fence or with out. so to all you groups are there you did to bend your rules so more greyhound get homes.

Okay, hang on...I understand what you're saying but remember one thing, something I always try to keep in mind as well. You are one person with your experiences. These groups are out there to protect these dogs and to try to be sure as best as they can that the dogs go to suited homes. They have had far more experiences than you and me and I believe the rules they have are to protect. I think if you took the time to listen to these people, have them tell you how many Greys have gotten out because of an un-protected enviorment. Take a few minutes and look here at the Amber Alert forum. I know some of the "rules" seem strict, but believe me that they seem strict to the un-experienced. I'm an adopter, just like you, I am not affiliated with any group so this is just my 2 cents. And shame on the group who doesn't do home visits.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

They don't do a home visit to see if they like the home themselves, they do it to make sure the dog is comfortable there and that it is a good environment. I am affiliated with a group and I have to say - if it's a good home then it just is. If you know the dog will not be taken care of or its life could be risked it is not a good home. The dogs in a group are in no danger so it is best to find the right home and place accordingly. If it was as easy as going to the pound it would have the same results: high turnoever and lots of strays and sad stories. Most resues and adption groups today do them...to make sure it's a good home. Anybody can have a pet...but not everybody treats it right.

If it was as easy as going to the pound it would have the same results: high turnoever and lots of strays and sad stories.

I've not been in a shelter in a long time that you can walk in and say "hey, I want that dog/cat/rabbit/etc" and walk out with it that same day. Not to say they don't exist, but shelters do a lot to make sure the right animal is going to the right home.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the home visits, but I can chose what group I adopt from so I don't have to deal with it.

Guest lotsagreys4me
They don't do a home visit to see if they like the home themselves, they do it to make sure the dog is comfortable there and that it is a good environment. I am affiliated with a group and I have to say - if it's a good home then it just is. If you know the dog will not be taken care of or its life could be risked it is not a good home. The dogs in a group are in no danger so it is best to find the right home and place accordingly. If it was as easy as going to the pound it would have the same results: high turnoever and lots of strays and sad stories. Most resues and adption groups today do them...to make sure it's a good home. Anybody can have a pet...but not everybody treats it right.

Well said and also as cbudshome said, Shame on the groups that don't bother to do home visits. How many of their placements are returned or worse?

My adoption group asked for references and checked us out by calling our Vet. It took two weeks for them to clear us to get a dog, and then I just did not get to pick from all of their dogs. They gave me a choice of 2 or 3 dogs to pick from. I am now a foster parent and understand why the adoption groups have to be a little picky.

Mom to Nodens( Carl Lackey)and Pywackett (kittie)

Guest Pamela
Okay, hang on...I understand what you're saying but remember one thing, something I always try to keep in mind as well. You are one person with your experiences. These groups are out there to protect these dogs and to try to be sure as best as they can that the dogs go to suited homes. They have had far more experiences than you and me and I believe the rules they have are to protect. I think if you took the time to listen to these people, have them tell you how many Greys have gotten out because of an un-protected enviorment. Take a few minutes and look here at the Amber Alert forum. I know some of the "rules" seem strict, but believe me that they seem strict to the un-experienced. I'm an adopter, just like you, I am not affiliated with any group so this is just my 2 cents. And shame on the group who doesn't do home visits.

Well home visit are not important and the group I went throw are great they make you do all kinds of paper work no need to come to your home

you give them four people you know they make all kinds of phone calls. Coming to some one home should not be a rule. Its just that some greyhound groups just

like to have power. I owed 8 greyhounds at one time they all died from old age. I know have a new one but not to be able to get one because I lived to far away from all the groups so if they went to do home visit then they need to drive so tell me went they went from people. I drove 3 hours to get my dog and if I had to I would of went to fl to get one if the groups here wouldn't of gave me a dog. my greyhound group is great shame on your groups who do home visit but only went to drive so far.

Guest sheila
huh?

Not everyone has English as their first language

And shame on the group who doesn't do home visits.

I've never had a home visit. When I adopted my first grey I lived in a rental house with no fenced yard and there are no local groups to do home visits. I drove 7 hrs round trip to adopt my first and second (sight unseen) I have adopted 2 others (also sight unseen) from a group with no adoption fee because of my excellent references from vets/neighbors etc; and the fact that I'm willing and wanting to take the dogs nobody seems to want. Shame on anyone who thinks a home visit is a requisite for adopting a dog

Well home visit are not important and the group I went throw are great they make you do all kinds of paper work no need to come to your home

you give them four people you know they make all kinds of phone calls. Coming to some one home should not be a rule. Its just that some greyhound groups just

like to have power. I owed 8 greyhounds at one time they all died from old age. I know have a new one but not to be able to get one because I lived to far away from all the groups so if they went to do home visit then they need to drive so tell me went they went from people. I drove 3 hours to get my dog and if I had to I would of went to fl to get one if the groups here wouldn't of gave me a dog. my greyhound group is great shame on your groups who do home visit but only went to drive so far.

You do need to get a better understanding of the English language because your posts aren't making a lot of sense.

Power? I had no feeling of power when I suggested potential adopters move their indoor cactus collection out of reach. There are some things like loose fence posts, poisonous plants, holes in a backyard that could break a leg, that a potential adopter might see everyday but not think it could harm a dog. I've never gotten any angry response when I pointed something out.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Power? I had no feeling of power when I suggested potential adopters move their indoor cactus collection out of reach. There are some things like loose fence posts, poisonous plants, holes in a backyard that could break a leg, that a potential adopter might see everyday but not think it could harm a dog. I've never gotten any angry response when I pointed something out.

Amen

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless