Omega 3 Supplements - Is 4000 Mgs Per Day Too Much?

Guest valtoy

Guest valtoy

I just got my Nordic Natural Omega 3 suppliments and they are 1000 mg's per pill and it says 1 pill per 20 pounds of pet weight and Ham is 80 pounds, so 4 pills per day sounds right, but that is a lot of Omega 3's, although I'm hoping to help fight cancer with this, so hate to cut it back. He is doing well 17 days after his leg amputation surgery, but I am not doing chemo so want to fight back as hard as possible.

valerie

I have 2 of mine of the Omega-3, EPA/DHA with vitamin E. One is 53 lbs and she gets 6000, and Wayne is 74lbs and he gets 8000. That's per my vet.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytkidsmom

They have studied omega-3's in children in doses up to 10,000mg with no adverse effects. It is the mg of EPA and DHA that count, not the mg per capsule. It does have anti-platelet properties like aspirin does so if you notice bruising or excessive bleeding, you might consider lowering your dose.

Flashy is on 2400 mg daily...my question...do you dose once daily or 2-3 times per day? :blush I am thinking I should increase his dose?

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

You can actually go up to 1,000 mg/10 lbs of body weight for conditions like cancer. I would give vitamin E along with it. The body uses vitamin E to help metabolize the omega-3's & supplementing with vit E will prevent a deficiency of it.

I give my 80 lb boy 5,000 mg/day & 400 iu of vit E/day for some back problems & allergies. I buy mine from Puritan's Pride (NAYY). They always run specials & it's very economical. Best of luck with Ham.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

My guys get 2 fish oil capsules and 2 flax oil capsules per day (one of each in the bowl at each meal). I find that for some reason using the 2 together works better than either individually. I do supplement with Vit. E too. I take it as well for my joints. I haven't noticed it helping my joints, but my hair and skin are much better. My pups also have nice sof, shiny coats and don't get nearly as dry and itchy in the winter, so the fish oil helps. If I run out, I can notice the difference in their coats pretty quickly.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel