D.o.g.

woolfy

000_0048.jpg

D.O.G. – Our Beloved Greyhound 3/6/96 – 7/28/08

D.O.G. was our first greyhound. After being petless for one year the desire to have a dog in our lives grew. Richard wanted a greyhound, but I was not sure. Then we met Sasha and Sheba, and I fell in love with the breed. We read about greyhounds, filled out the paperwork, and adoption day arrived. We went and looked at several greyhounds in their crates. I stuck my finger in each one. D.O.G., aka Notoria, licked my finger. We took her out, walked her around, she did the big "suck up", and we chose her. (Or did she choose us?) What struck us about her were her dreamy eyes, her alertness, and her intelligence.

We brought her home and found out she was very timid, eating one morsel of food at a time. Our greyt journey had begun. During those first few months, we started bonding with D.O.G. wanting to make her happy, just as she wanted to please us. We noticed that she loved to be around other greyhounds, and 5 months later got Peek-A-Boo. D.O.G.'s tail did not stop wagging. She was so happy.

While moving from PA to MO, we spent the night in a hotel. A first for our girls. They loved it. They were very proud walking around the hotel like they owned the place.

After settling in our new home in MO, we decided to try fostering and failed and that was when Tuf was added to our greyhound family. D.O.G. loved Tuf. They were always together, whether it was on the couch with "butt to butt" roaching, going for walks, or watching TV. They even went on a "date", when the gate was accidentally left open and they left our yard together. D.O.G. was very timid, but Tuf gave her self-confidence and she started to come out of her shell.

D.O.G. loved stuffies. She grabbed one every morning to go outside, or when she was excited for her walk, or during her D.O.G. "play times".

During her life D.O.G. endured a lot of pain, but always maintained a positive attitude. Before coming to us she had Alabama crud and endured daily-medicated baths. Then in December of 2002 she broke her main weight-bearing toe. Four surgeries later and with the help of Therapaw, acupuncture, Metacam, and Chinese herbs she was able to walk with a limb and minimal pain. We were able to continue to go for our walks. She loved chasing deer, bunnies, and squirrels with her grey and human family. She has been in over 20 states and has seen lots of critters.

D.O.G. had very deep emotions. Although all her life she had a level of timidity, when she decided to show affection to us it was a special time of chatters, nibbles, which came from deep within her heart.

She loved ice cream. When she ate it she would close her eyes and deeply enjoy the experience. She also loved "styrofoam night". When we would come home with steak in the Styrofoam box, D.O.G. would get so excited she would jump up to get her piece of steak.

D.O.G. was a very caring and compassionate dog. She cared about the entire family. When Tuf collapsed in our kitchen, she followed Richard out to the van and watched, as Richard put him in the van and drove off. She waited by the door, until I was able to convince her to go to bed. After Tuf died, we were all sad, especially D.O.G.

In December of 2005 D.O.G. got hind end weakness and again using a combination of eastern and western medicine we were able to maintain her quality of life. However during the past 2 ½ years, the length and frequency of our walks reduced and the time she spent sitting near us or under the shade of a tree increased.

D.O.G. got to the point where she could no longer stand and we made the decision to put her down. As she was starting to go from this world to the next, we thought she heard Peek-A-Boo barking and encouraging her to cross the bridge. D.O.G. persevered and loved her life, and us, until the end. Now D.O.G. is pain free and with her friends, Tuf and Peek-A-Boo, running and playing together. We will never forget D.O.G. She touched our lives, our hearts and our souls.

Edited by woolfy

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kunder

St. Charles Mo.

Litter#: Tuf 72180 Crossed over the Bridge 7-5-05, D.O.G. 55539 Cross over the bridge, Peek-A-Boo 60707 Cross over the bridge, Romeo 97537, Julie 26989

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your beautiful tribute broought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

I am so sorry for the loss of your very special girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest PhillyPups

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know there are no words to ease the pain, she was your first, and her legacy lives on in all the current and future hounds that cross your paths. :bighug to you

I'm very sorry for your loss. D.O.G. was a special girl & obviously well loved. Godspeed. f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

So sorry for the loss of your special girl.

Rest in peace D.O.G.

:f_pink

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I'm so sorry. :cry1 What a lovely face.

Godspeed D.O.G.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest vahoundlover

:cry1 I am so sorry :grouphug:grouphug Your tribute to your beloved girlie speaks volumes to the love and joy she brought you. The picture is gorgeous, I feel like I could just reach out and stroke her beautiful sweet face.

Godspeed D.O.G. :f_pink