Tania Is Itching....any Suggestions?

Guest DoofBert

Guest DoofBert

It appears Tania has an allergy to some type of weed in the yard/trees surrounding the house. She's itched and itched and has lost a little fur on her face. Our vet prescribed benedryl (50 MG 3X per day) and also gave us RX for prednisone 2Xday.

No sign of any fleas/ticks/bites..

Anything else we should be doing? She's had two doses of benedryl, the itching has slowed down some but she's still scratching. So, we are expected to start the pred later today...with dinner.

Guest greybookends

Jayne I have no other advice but what your already doing but Ginny says that you should hold the grasshopper in your lap and just give her lots of scritches all over and that should make her feel better. :P

Here Tania, the gang says these cure everything :cookie :cookie :cookie :cookie :cookie :cookie

I have an allergy boy and the Benadryl helps, but he's also on EicosaDerm and I know that has helped a lot as well. Hopefully Tania will have relief soon!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have my mixed breed on Benadryl for environmental allergies too. I think it doesn't work instantaneously, so see how she does over the next couple of days. Here's a chart with the different antihistamines available: http://www.utskinvet.org/pdf/antihists.pdf So if the Benadryl doesn't work, I'd ask your vet about trying something else. I also have fall allergies and for me certain meds do absolutely nothing - it's a matter of finding the right one.

I am also giving vitamin C with bioflavanoids to Chaos as I've read it can help, so that may be something to look into. Another suggestion is to wipe the dog's paws and belly with a damp cloth after going outside, to remove any "clinging" pollens. Using air conditioning (if needed) and keeping windows closed helps too.

Chaos is mostly itchy in her feet, how about Tania?

Just had another thought: do you or your neighbours use pesticides or fertilizers on the lawn/shrubs?

Edited by Ola

Guest DoofBert

I used flea yard treatment over 5 weeks ago......none of the other hounds have been itching.

We used K9 Advantix on the hounds up till this month and have used it on her since she was 6 months old. We treat everyone all year round. We did switch to Promeris last week.... but her itching began before that.