Azodyl For Kidney Disease

http://www.azodyl.com/pages/pro_renal.html

My vet put one of my greyhounds that had kidney disease on Azodyl. It is a natural herb. It did lower her bun and other kidney values. I credit it with giving my sweetie another couple of years.

Has anyone else used Azodyl and how did your grey do on it?

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

If I am reading this forum correctly no one else is using this Natural Herb with their greyhound.

If your greyhound has renal failure I hugely suggest you check into this medicine. You can order it right over the internet.

Supports kidney function by providing natural Enteric Dialysis®.

Slows down uremic toxin buildup in the blood and helps prevent

further kidney damage.

Minimizes the clinical and biochemical consequences of reduced

renal function.

The product of choice at the rst signs of azotemia in cases of acute

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest greytbookert

Many people log on later in the day. I have a hound who is in kidney failure and I am going to bring the information with us tonight to see his opinion. Mama has been on the downslope the past week or so I'm willing to give this a try if our vet is comfortable with it. thanks!

Guest multigrey

My beloved Sport was on Azodyl for almost two years.....he got some wonderful "extra" quality time thanks to good food, fluids, acupuncture and lots of natural products.

In April I got a 14 year old return who had horrid kidney numbers. I expected to lose her in a few weeks. With a diet change, Azodyl and some of what we did for Sport, she improved tremendously and it was a pleasure to watch her BUN and Creatinine numbers go way down. I lost this angel a few weeks ago....the blood work we did on her last day showed almost normal kidney numbers!!

I LOVE this item!!

ps.....also love those phosphorous binders!!!

Guest multigrey

It's well known that phosphorus in food is horridly hard on the kidneys. All prescription diets for dogs with kidney issues are very low in phosphorus. For those of us who really don't care to feed those foods, it's a pain trying to find a ready made food that is both healthy and low in phosphorus. So we look find something that will bind to the phosphorus and remove it from the body without taxing the kidneys any more. (this is an over-simplification, I am sure). Calcitrol is something that is often used....I believe even products like Tums bind to some phosphorus....please do some homework here! There is a powder on the market called Epakitin.....I have used it with all my kidney dogs and I believe it really has helped. You can get it through your vet, I am sure.

My caveat to anyone contemplating these or any product.....please research it yourself. Learn all you can. Discuss with your vet. Then make your own decision based on what you believe to be the best for your dog.

While I feel I got some very precious extra time with both Sport and DeeDee, my wonderful Barney responded to NOTHING....and was gone in two weeks.

Edited by multigrey

Guest Greensleeves

Calcitriol is active Vitamin D, which is used to help stabilize blood calcium levels. Dogs need to have their blood levels carefully monitored while on it, because it can only be administered if certain numbers are carefully balanced. More info here: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_calcitriol.html

Phosphorus binders like Epakitin keep much of the phosphorus from consumed food from entering the bloodstream, by "binding" with it on a molecular level, so it's released instead in the dog's stool. A difficulty, though, with the Epakitin is that the dosage is huge for a large dog (Nelly's supposed to get almost 7 teaspoons per day), and it may be difficult to get a dog who's not hungry to eat it (sprinkled on the food). The best info on phosphorus/phosphate binders I've been able to find is actually at a site for humans with kidney disease:

http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/Phosphate...Work-/index.cfm

This site has good kidney info. My old 'Tzu is in early renal failure. He also has high blood pressure as a result. He gets some people meds. Banaz something and Spinr something else, Standard Process supplements, Epakitin and some other supplements. He is doing very well on regular food and the Epakitin. I found an on-line source for the Epakitin that is cheaper than the Vet's office.

You want to have your dog's blood pressure checked and most Vet's offices do not do that.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Thanks for the info everybody. Pearl is on the Calcitriol. As I understand it she is a candidate for that because her calcium levels are normal. She gets a cardiac drug to help keep her BP normal.

I ordered the Azodyl (her vet o.k.'d it). She is doing great right now. If the Azodyl helps even more, that would be wonderful.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences and wisdom. You guys are awesome!