Prednisone - Gi Bleeding

Guest lorbug

Guest lorbug

Hi.

My grey, Tabora, was recently diagnosed with an auto immune disease. She was prescribed a high dose of prednisone to suppress her over active immune system. Due to all of the antibiotics she had been on previous to rule out any infectious disease, plus the prednisone, she began vomiting a lot and then began vomiting blood. Her prednisone was reduced dramatically and this helped with the (bloody) vomit but her auto immune symptoms returned. The doctor, an excellent one, bumped her back up to half the dose of the pred she was on previously and also put her on mycophenolate (Cellcept), which is another immune suppressive drug. She seems to be doing well on this combo...she has only been on this a couple of days though...so I am a bit concerned the stomach irritations will return. Has anyone had experience with their grey taking prednisone? Did you encounter any GI bleeding? Was this curtailed when the dose was reduced? Oh, i forgot to mention she is also on carafate and pepcid...both to help and soothe her GI tract.

Any experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks Lorri

Edited by lorbug

Have not had problems with pred here, but we've only ever used low dose. Hopefully someone with more expereience will wander by soon and answer your questions!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've actually had the opposite experience with corticosteroids in my old man, Joplin. His gut has always been borderline-irritable and mid to low-dose prednisone, when prescribed for other things, has always had a positive effect on his gut. Every dog is different.

Lynn

Guest Cris_M

Gabriel also had an auto immune disorder and was on high dose Pred. As soon as he started it, the vet gave us something (sorry but I don't remember what it was) that would protect his stomach from ulcerating. Stomach ulcers are an expected side effect of Pred. Gabriel's gut did fine throughout his treatment.

Can you ask the vet for something similar? I don't know if it would help much since the ulcers have already occurred, but it might.

My thoughts are with you. Auto immune diseases tend to make you really hyper-vigilant about a watching every little thing about your dog. Take care of yourself -- I know you are taking care of Tabora.