Fenway's Tummy Hurts, He's Got The Runs

Hi Greytalkers,

This is the first time in 2.5 years of owning greys that I've had to deal with bloody D. :( Bummer for Fenway! He and Grace were boarded in a "crate free" boarding facility over the weekend (it was not planned, it was last a last minute decision to have them stay there). Last time I went out of town Fenway got the runs while staying with a friend, but was fine with some rice added to his diet for a few days in addition to kibble

So here's the current story. I'm in the process of switching foods. From Canidae Lamb to [crud I can't remember] timberwolf Beef (?) and we are at about 50/50 after 10 days. Fenway got home from the boarding facility with looser than normal stool on Sunday. Monday night after work/after dinner (including a turkey neck) he had watery poo. So no breakfast on Monday and then chicken and rice with a bit of yogurt for dinner last night and breakfast today. Still liquid this morning after breakfast. Left a note for the dog walker today and she said "he was grumpy today and is not feeling well. He pooed and it was D again." So tonight after work I took him out, he was straining, and now it's liquid with bright red blood. We are going to the vet tomorrow morning. But, should I feed him chicken and rice tonight? He's still going out on his regular schedule and is not having accidents or needing to go more frequently. I don't have any pepto or immodium here (I can go get some if need be) and I'm not sure what else to do.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? He's thrown up some bile too, last night before dinner. But just that once, and he's kept all other meals down. I also noticed that tonight's poo started out slightly formed...before it turned liquid and bloody. What does the bright red blood mean vs. darker red blood?

Help please, Fenny doesn't feel well! :(

ETA: He's still drinking, still whining for dinner, and still playing (just not with the same exuberance as usual)...

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Bright red blood = undigested, closer to the exit.

I wouldn't feed him anything tonight. Make sure he drinks enough not to dehydrate.

If it's a LOT of blood or he's very uncomfortable, you'd want vet tonight. HGE can do a number on a dog really fast. A trace of blood and mild discomfort, I'd just keep a close eye on him.

Do NOT give immodium -- it slows things down and, depending on cause, it might be a really bad idea to do that. You could give pepto bismol if you had any, might soothe his innards a bit.

Hope it's just a minor, passing (no pun intended) thing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Bright red blood = undigested, closer to the exit.

I wouldn't feed him anything tonight. Make sure he drinks enough not to dehydrate.

If it's a LOT of blood or he's very uncomfortable, you'd want vet tonight. HGE can do a number on a dog really fast. A trace of blood and mild discomfort, I'd just keep a close eye on him.

Do NOT give immodium -- it slows things down and, depending on cause, it might be a really bad idea to do that. You could give pepto bismol if you had any, might soothe his innards a bit.

Hope it's just a minor, passing (no pun intended) thing.

Thank you!

Is bright red blood better or worse than dark blood?

It's not a lot of blood actually, and he was just playing and is now begging for dinner.

Should I skip breakfast tomorrow too and wait to see how early I can get him in at the vets office?

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I would skip breakfast too -- just let those innards rest. Plus, if vet has any cause to do an x-ray, s/he'll have nice empty innards to see.

Dunno if bright red is *better* than digested/dark, just indicates where it is in the digestive tract. Not uncommon to see a trace or two of bright red in troubled innards.

Good that he's feeling perky :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Vinnie

Oh no, poor Fenway! I am so so sorry! Gracie and Gus are sending lots of good healing thoughts as they can't wait to play with Fenway soon. Please keep us posted - I am back at work if you need me or if you need me to take Grace for a couple of days while you concentrate on Fenway. Poor baby boy - hurry and feel better and don't worry your mom so much.

Guest karma98104

oh noo! Poor Fenway!! I haven't dealt with blood in stool either, but have lots of big D experience. I definitely agree with a few skipped meals though- give his little tummy a chance to rest and get all the bad stuff out of there :( The vet always gave us some big chewable pills ( sorry, can't remember what they are) that cleared my kids up pretty quickly.

Of course- grab a sample to take to the vet with you- which might be difficult after a few missed meals.

Does he like ice cubes? My boys love them, it will help his tummy to not growl so much and get a bit more water down the hatch.

oh noo! Poor Fenway!! I haven't dealt with blood in stool either, but have lots of big D experience. I definitely agree with a few skipped meals though- give his little tummy a chance to rest and get all the bad stuff out of there :( The vet always gave us some big chewable pills ( sorry, can't remember what they are) that cleared my kids up pretty quickly.

Of course- grab a sample to take to the vet with you- which might be difficult after a few missed meals.

Does he like ice cubes? My boys love them, it will help his tummy to not growl so much and get a bit more water down the hatch.

I have a pee sample. I can't get a poo sample today....I guess it's good that he's not still squirting liquids but I'd really like the vet to check his poo for yucky things. We're heading out for a walk now, then going to the vet late this morning. We'll check pee too just in case there is something else going on, we've had a few accidents inside this week but that might just be the general crummyness he's feeling. I'll keep y'all posted...I'm just worried it's a blockage or something.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You wont actually "see" dark blood. It manifests itself as "tar" colored stool. And if you have that, it usually means that the blood began its journey in the stomach or earlier (this was the description given to me when my guy had "franken" (bright red) blood in his D). Good luck.

Guest oldNELLIE

When we boarded Nellie at a "doggie daycare" she developed a "severe case of stress colitis" (vet's words) and almost died. Here I am thinking it would be fun for her to play all day. Yikes.

Anyway, what I learned is that dogs can go a while without eating, so no dinner or breakfast is a good idea. Also, like someone else mentioned, icecubes are a great way to get them water. And once they are eating again, putting some broth or warm water in with the food is a good idea. Gets them some extra fluids. If he is up and playing I wouldn't worry too much. I am sure being home where things are familiar will help his belly settle down :)

PS now we just board Nellie with the vet, so in case of emergency...we haven't had any trouble since!

Oh poor Fenway! I hope you can get to the bottom (no pun intended here either :P ) of this...

:grouphug:goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest ChancesMom

Hope Fenway is ok. Dark blood or tar colored blood is old blood. Ie: either an old bleed or as some one else said, started in the upper digestive tract. I have dealt with HGE 2 times now and it can come on very fast. Good luck at the vet today.

Checking in on Fenway and hoping he is feeling better. Let me know if you need anything.

:nod

Will do.

He's feeling okay this morning, not great. He wanted to go for his walk, but normally does zommies afterwards which he didn't do. Good news is that he did poo a tiny bit so I have something to give the vet.

I'm heading to the vet now with pee and poop to be analyzed. I'll let you know the results. (I'm still so worried it's a blockage :( )

Sent home from the vet today with meds (metra-somthing-izol) and a pat on the head. Fecal and urinalysis will be run this afternoon, results tomorrow AM at latest. The new vet thought it was probably a combo of excitement (new friends at the boarding facility), the stress (where is my mom?), and the food transition were equally to blame. So we are to feed chicken and rice (with yogurt) only until we get back on track. I think I'm going to stay on California Natural for a few months since poo wasn't bad, it just wasn't great either. Then once we are back to normal I can think about yet another new food.

If he starts vomiting I'm to take him back in for x-rays, I was so paranoid about a blockage but the vet didn't seem to think that was it at all. She also said I could do a Pancreatic test to see if he produces the right/enough enzymes. The test is $150...she said I could come back for that in the future if his stool stays soft.

Edited by gracegirl

Metronidazole. It's a combo anti-inflammatory and antibiotic for guts. Fingers crossed that will fix him up.

Guest Vinnie

WooHoo! Are you breathing normally now? Gus & Gracie will be so happy to hear that their buddy is going to be ready to play soon. Gus is getting ready and working out (as you have seen in the video) - and today he has been playing really rough with Higgins in preparation of Fenway and Grace's next visit :lol: