Vomiting & Bully Sticks?

Sorry this is so long but I felt that the background might be needed... I would really appreciate any thoughts you have!

I gave King one 6" or 8" (I can't remember) Bully Stick quite some time ago from Petco because I wanted him to try one, but it smelled awful, after reading here I figured it wasn't preservative free and looked for another source. He LOVED it and was fine after eating it so I figured he would be ok with them.

A while back we got a King a 12" Bully Stick from a locally owned pet store. This particular store only sells the 'premium' foods like Canidae, Solid Gold etc. The lady ensured me that the Bully Stick was preservative free and I really think it was because it didn't smell bad at all. Well that night around 5 am King woke up and starting vomiting. My husband says that there wasn't much it in except bile and a little bit of the chipped beef on toast that we had put on top of his kibble that night for dinner.

After eating a lot of grass and throwing up a few more times outside, he seemed fine. We all went back to sleep downstairs and woke up around 8 am. We were going to take him to the vet but he really seemed like he was ok so we decided just to watch him.

He didn't have any breakfast that morning, but we didn't offer it. We prepared one cup of rice and a boiled chicken breast for his dinner that night. The next morning we gave him just kibble without any of the usual additives (Salmon Oil, Vitamin E, Wysong). He was fine with all of that so I figured his system was back to normal. So, I figured that it was either the chipped beef or too much Bully Stick that caused the vomiting.

At least a week later we took a 6" Bully Stick from the same store and gave it to him to see what would happen. He was fine. A few days later, another 6" bully from the same store and he was also fine. So I thought that perhaps it was the chipped beef mixture or just too much Bully Stick (a full 12") that had disagreed with him and didn't really worry about feeding him the Bully Sticks as long as they were 6".

So I ordered 25 12" Bully Sticks from Dena on Ebay with the recommendation of several GTrs. My intention was to cut them in half and have 50 of them that would last quite some time.

As a side note, Greenies give him diarrhea and I have not been able to find any rawhide that looks right in a while.

Well they came in and I gave King a 6" one Monday night. We gave him one last night as well and everything seemed fine. Well just now my husband had him out for a walk and when he came back he said he vomited "green stomach bubbly acidy smelling stuff and a chunk of what looked to be Bully Stick" twice.

He ate the Bully Stick about 20 hours ago and had a regular kibble breakfast this morning at 7:30. He seems perfectly fine right now but we plan to go with the same feeding schedule we did last time and he will get rice and boiled chicken for dinner tonight.

Does this mean that I just shouldn't give him Bully Sticks? Is there anything in particular I should be worried about? Has anyone else ever had a dog that couldn't eat Bully Sticks? Are they very rich? We were trying to find something that would be good for his teeth as a chew.

We already have a vet appt. for a Bordatella shot tomorrow so I can ask about it then but I wanted to see what you all think. I never did call my vet the first time because he seemed ok, perhaps that was a mistake. :(

DH and I are supposed to go out for our anniversary dinner tonight but now I don't feel like we should leave him... :(

I really appreciate any insight you can offer. Thank you!

Edited to add that this is what he's doing now...

IMG_0283.jpg

Edited by KingsMom
gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

I would say they dont agree with him or you may have to limit his time and or how much he eats. When the get to 3" in length Psi is no longer able to eat it cause he swallows it whole. ( and puked the whole icky piece up 2 days later) So now I watch and make sure he doesnt get big chunks off and take ti away. Good luck

Ps love his roach :hehe

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

If it were me, I wouldn't give him any more, as they don't seem to agree with him. The best way to clean his teeth is daily brushing.

Love the roach!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest MAXNAV

My guys could never digest those things. They'd make them hurl big time, even though it may not be until the next day or so. I'd stop giving them to him.

Bully sticks don't bother my guy but I take them away when they are small enough that he can fit the whole thing in his mouth. I also cut off the end as it gets really soggy and nasty, because that has slipped down his throat before. King is adorable, by the way!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie always has soft poops (sorry) after she eats them. We give them only every once in a long while because of this even though she loves them, and doesn't seem to mind the consequnses :). I think they are probably like super cookies or a pint of ice cream for us. Tastes good while you're eating, but then...

Edited by oldNELLIE

Thanks for all the responses! I've decided to try the CET chews that my vets office recommended this morning. Hopefully he will do better on them, though I will have to watch him carefully because of their shape. I have offered the Bullies to a friend if she doesn't want them I will probably donate them to our group.

It is such a shame that he doesn't always do well on them, he loves them so much! I'm glad to know that they have bothered other pups and it's not just him!

Thanks again! :)

gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

Guest Smiley

I am not a fan of bully sticks. Whenever they are available to hounds I've seen, there is always a pile of vomit somewhere with a half eaten stick in there. The first and last time we gave Smiley one, he started squatting in my office at work like he couldn't hold his bowels so I hustled him out and all was well. But it did make me feel like he hadn't either chewn it well enough or it didn't digest well. I've also heard the stories of blockages, etc. so I get really paranoid about it. I think you'll get mixed feedback on this, and since I tend to be way paranoid, I vote no on those. Just my two cents!