The Big D

Guest mtnbluebird

Guest mtnbluebird

Ok we were camping with Folsom from Thursday afternoon to Monday morning (he did great! But that's a different thread). On Sunday he got a whole hot dog that had landed in the fire, he got 3 soggy pringles (plain), and some smartfood popcorn. (I dont know how much, my friend just said "oh I gave Folsom some smartfood"). That was the only day he got people food. He's had hotdogs cut up in small pieces as treats before without a problem. Monday morning he had a regular poop followed directly by diarrhea. When we got home Monday he was acting stressed, but he had a regular poop in the evening around 9:30pm. Tuesday I'm not sure, by boyfriend had the poop walks and he may have had loose stools, he didn't say. I walked him at 6:30am and 9:30pm yesterday but he didn't have to poop then.

Today he's had diarrhea on all of his walks, and he messed in his crate during the day. Toward the end of our 5:00pm walk it was really watery, all were un-pickable. (And it looks so painful for the poor thing) I put a call in with our Adoption contact, but wanted to see what advice I could get here in the meantime. His appetite is fine, he's back to his old self (not acting stressed anymore) although he is being a bit more velcro-y than normal. Dinnertime is in 30 minutes, do I need to drop everything and go to the store to get bland chicken and rice???

Poor doggie :-(

Ok we were camping with Folsom from Thursday afternoon to Monday morning (he did great! But that's a different thread). On Sunday he got a whole hot dog that had landed in the fire, he got 3 soggy pringles (plain), and some smartfood popcorn. (I dont know how much, my friend just said "oh I gave Folsom some smartfood"). That was the only day he got people food. He's had hotdogs cut up in small pieces as treats before without a problem. Monday morning he had a regular poop followed directly by diarrhea. When we got home Monday he was acting stressed, but he had a regular poop in the evening around 9:30pm. Tuesday I'm not sure, by boyfriend had the poop walks and he may have had loose stools, he didn't say. I walked him at 6:30am and 9:30pm yesterday but he didn't have to poop then.

Today he's had diarrhea on all of his walks, and he messed in his crate during the day. Toward the end of our 5:00pm walk it was really watery, all were un-pickable. (And it looks so painful for the poor thing) I put a call in with our Adoption contact, but wanted to see what advice I could get here in the meantime. His appetite is fine, he's back to his old self (not acting stressed anymore) although he is being a bit more velcro-y than normal. Dinnertime is in 30 minutes, do I need to drop everything and go to the store to get bland chicken and rice???

Fenway had some D right now too...he's going to eat chicken and rice for the next few days to "reset" his system. Folsom should be fine after that. :)

Where did you get the name Folsom? I only ask because I went to CU, home of the Buffs, who play football at Folsom Field.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

When we get the Big-D here, we rest the gut for 24 hours which means no food at all for 24 hours. Be sure he is drinking water though as D can dehydrate the dog quickly. If he does not drink enough you can flavor it with sodium free beef or chicken broth. Sometines just water from the fridge is refreshing enough to make them want to drink more. The hardest part of this is resisting the begging puppy dog eyes for food and treats, but it's best not to give anything during this period.

After 24 hours start on very small amounts of boiled chicken and white rice and work up to full meals with regular kibble gradually added in. A call to the vet is a good idea if it does not clear because of the dehydration.

Hope your baby feels better soon.

Guest mtnbluebird

He came as Folsom, but it's a great name, we tell everyone "like the prison/ Johnny Cash song" LOL

I have plain fat free yogurt in the fridge right now I can try that (I do not have any chicken or white rice though). He's an 80lb boy, he usually gets 2 cups of food in the morning and 2 cups at night. So if I'm going to do the rice route should I give him a cup of rice and a cup of bland chicken?

Guest IrskasMom

Boiled Chicken and Rice or boiled Groundbeef and Rice can do the Trick with a little warm Water . Hope Folsom is better

by now :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:dogcookie

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest mtnbluebird

Erm... yeah. He only had a small amount of lake water when he attempted to swim. He drank a little bit on Thursday and a little more on Sunday. The campground we went to was a New Hampshire state park, popular with dogs, and we didn't see any postings about possible Giardia in the water. (we brought bottled water and a travel bowl for him while we were spending time at the lake). In all honesty some of the humans (myself included) probably ingested a small amount too.

I feel bad not feeding him for 24 hours... I'm so new at this :-/

Since you said you were camping, any chance Folsom drank some non-potable water?

That's my thought, too, especially since he was in a lake. Would get him into the vet for a check if this doesn't clear up in 24 hours. Too easy to become dehydrated. :(

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

We have found that the 24 hour fast is the best fix for tummy upsets also. It's almost as if not having to process food gives the digestive track uninterrupted healing time. We've done pumpkin added to food to firm stools also, but the fast has best results. What I sometimes do is give them a plain biscuit and a tablespoon of pumpkin at meal time - though with actual watery diarrhea I wouldn't give anything.

One of the concerns with diarrhea is dehydration, so make sure he is drinking enough water.