Hello From Northern Va

Guest caelanarcher

Guest caelanarcher

My roommate and I have just moved from PA down to Centreville, VA for our respective jobs, and we've settled down enough that I'm ready to start looking for a pet, and I've decided that a greyhound is the dog for me. So although I won't be adopting an ex-racer quite yet (there will be a third person moving in with us in a month or so, and I want her to get settled first), I hope you can all welcome me into the greyhound community and help me with my continuing search for a forever friend!

On that note, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the huge number of adoption agencies in the area (it looks like about 8 agencies within a 3-hour drive). Does anyone have a recommendation about which VA/MD/Central-southwest PA agencies are the "best"? Which ones are easy to deal with, attentive, helpful?

I welcome any advice that you can give me about adopting my first grey.

Guest Harry702

Hi there! Welcome (to GreyTalk and NoVA)! :wave

You're right about all the adoption groups. I was a little blown away myself when we started looking back in January. How we narrowed it down:

1. Sent an email to the groups we were most interested in (there were six) asking basic questions about their adoption process, group dynamics and culture, etc. We managed to eliminate a few groups based on responses to this email (one group responded after 2 weeks with a note that clearly indicated that the person responding never really read our questions :huh... most groups responded within 24 hours).

2. Visited Meet and Greets for the top 3 groups to talk to actual volunteers and meet their dogs. We knew we wanted to volunteer, so it was as important that we get a good "feel" for the people involved with the group as it was to get a grey who was a good match for our family.

3. We selecting Greyhound Welfare (www.greyhoundwelfare.org) for several reasons, but tops on the list is the fact that they foster ALL their dogs. With two cats a home, we needed to know that the dog would be okay with the cats. Frankly, I'm not a fan of "cat testing" at the kennel, and so we wanted a dog that had a demonstrated history living in a home with at least one cat. Second major reason was their professionalism... and I've continued to be impressed by how well the organization is run now that I have an inside glimpse as a volunteer.

In case you've not noticed, I'm a bit biased. :blush

If it helps, I hear a lot of good things about Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue. The volunteers we met were great. They were actually our 2nd choice group, but it was close.

You'll love having a greyhound. I can't imagine life without one now.

Great advice. You'll find the groups in this area actually all get along and respect each other so you won't see any my group is better than x group here. We all do things a bit differently and have different strengths and weaknesses depending on what you want.

Decide what is important to you first and then find the group that best fits your list.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

Welcome!! Another Bristow here... but not for long! Check the local groups for M&G schedules. I think this Saturday my group should have theirs at the PetsMart in Mansassas (Bull Run Plaza) from 12-3. Ask lots of questions and they will be happy to help out. Tell them Krista sent you ;)

Welcome from the MD side! We adopted through Greyhound Welfare and were extremely happy, not only with how thorough they were through the adoption process, but also with the amount of support they make available to you after you've adopted. We also appreciated that all the dogs were fostered so we got a good idea of how they'd be in a home.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. In the end, you'll have a greyhound and that is the BEST!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

:welcome2 My husband and I live in Centreville too (Cabells Mill)!

We have three greyhounds - all adopted through GPA-NoVA (clicky). I know folks who have adopted from other groups too - we all try to support each other. You should visit the websites, go to M&Gs, etc. and find out what group you feel the most comfortable with. What works for one - doesn't work for all. For us, we liked the idea of a national group. We also liked that GPA-NoVA picks out a grey for you based on your application and home visit. We didn't feel confident that we'd make the best choice if we had to select our own - especially since neither of us had a dog since we were kids. Our group did an amazing job picking out greys that were perfect for us and our home - absolutely no regrets. GPA-NoVA is having a M&G this Saturday at the Fairfax Corner Wylie Wagg from 1-4 p.m. My husband and I will be there with two of our three greys. Feel free to stop in to say "hello."

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest caelanarcher

Thanks to everyone for their advice so far. I think my roommate and I will be stopping by the GPA-NoVA M&G at Wylie Wagg this Saturday, and then the VAGA M&G in Chantilly on Sunday. I know it's still a bit early for me to be getting this excited about dogs, but I really look forward to meeting with some of these adoption groups!

Thanks to everyone for their advice so far. I think my roommate and I will be stopping by the GPA-NoVA M&G at Wylie Wagg this Saturday, and then the VAGA M&G in Chantilly on Sunday. I know it's still a bit early for me to be getting this excited about dogs, but I really look forward to meeting with some of these adoption groups!

Cool - looking forward to meeting you both. Hubby (Regan) and I (Laura) will be at Wylie Wagg with Celeste (dark brindle) and Bonny (red fawn).

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Welcome to GT and you have coose a greyt dog indeed, good luck with your search. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest jziegler

Good luck finding your dog. Or letting the dog find you. I don't know any of the groups down there, but really, I haven't seen any bad groups. Check out a few, and I'm sure that you'll find the right one.

I adopted from Greyhound Angels Adoption in NJ, just a little outside of the range that you're looking at. The group is wonderful, but a pretty long drive for you.

Jim

Guest caelanarcher
:welcome2 My husband and I live in Centreville too (Cabells Mill)!

We have three greyhounds - all adopted through GPA-NoVA (clicky). I know folks who have adopted from other groups too - we all try to support each other. You should visit the websites, go to M&Gs, etc. and find out what group you feel the most comfortable with. What works for one - doesn't work for all. For us, we liked the idea of a national group. We also liked that GPA-NoVA picks out a grey for you based on your application and home visit. We didn't feel confident that we'd make the best choice if we had to select our own - especially since neither of us had a dog since we were kids. Our group did an amazing job picking out greys that were perfect for us and our home - absolutely no regrets. GPA-NoVA is having a M&G this Saturday at the Fairfax Corner Wylie Wagg from 1-4 p.m. My husband and I will be there with two of our three greys. Feel free to stop in to say "hello."

Winnie, I stopped by Wylie Wagg today (just got back, actually), and it was great talking to you and the other volunteers. I was the 20-something in a brown tanktop, with my roommate in a black t-shirt. I got a lot of really great information, and it's definitely been helpful; I'll need to discuss the decision with my roommate, significant other, and family, but since the other woman (the blonde one with the big guy and little girl - I didn't catch her name) mentioned that December is a little hectic for adoption, I might be moving up my timeframe to November or October. Thanks so much for letting me pet your sweetheart, and for sharing your knowledge with me!