Prednisone & Urinary Incontinence?

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer has been on Pred for a month now for his "mystery" illness and apparent weak back issues. He's finishing up with 1/2 a tab every other day.

I noticed that when he is sleeping or laying down on his side that he has a constant drip of urine, very much like a leaking faucet. I noticed that the sheets I lay down over my carpet have been stained and assumed it was Emmy because she "leaks" when she's very tired or scared. But now I know it is Spencer and that explains the wet beds as well.

Do you think Prednisone is causing this? I'm thinking of taking Spencer to the vet to get checked for a UTI but I was just wondering if is is a side effect of the Pred.

Guest greytloves

Steriods certainly make you thirsty and need to go a lot. I would bet it was the Prednisone causing that. But, I would make a call to the vet to verify.

I know Pred can make dogs very thirsty thereby needing to go out to pee a lot, but I've never heard of just a constant drip of urine. That's not normal - I'd at least talk to your Vet.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest Cris_M

When Gabriel was on Pred, he peed a LOT. As the amount of Pred dropped, he had that constant drip just like you have with Spencer.

It's just me, but I would call the vet first and see if they even want to see Spencer. They may well not.

One of the things that worked best for us was a plastic tablecloth from the $1 Store covered with blankets (or whatever). The tablecloths were cheap and could be tossed when necessary.

Guest longdogs

Yes it can. It was exactly the same with William and there really isn't a lot you can do to prevent it. It got better over time and as the dose was tapered off. You have to make do with easily washable bedding and/or belly bands.

Yes, it sure can. Minnie was on the maximum dose for a while, and she would wake up in the middle of immense puddles. I put vinyl-backed baby mattress covers on the chesterfield. For a time, she also wore homemade diapers. Fortunately we were able to dispense with those as the dosage was reduced.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Thank you very much! I think I'll still call the vet but invest in the plastic table cloth. I hate using belly bands on him only because he thinks of it as punishment and really hates it!

Guest MAXNAV

Yes it can. A friend just went through this with her bassett hound after he was on steriods for a month or so. I still would get a sample to have them check it for a UTI. My collie would get UTIs after being on different meds, and would start dripping here and there, until one night he must have peed while sleeping in his bed. He never had accidents, so I knew that it had to be while he was sleeping, or he would have woken me up.

Spencer has been on Pred for a month now for his "mystery" illness and apparent weak back issues. He's finishing up with 1/2 a tab every other day.

Do you think Prednisone is causing this? I'm thinking of taking Spencer to the vet to get checked for a UTI but I was just wondering if is is a side effect of the Pred.

Though pred will drive thirst and more frequent urination, consider that the actual incontinence may be deterioriation related to his 'back issues.'