Corn Removal Options

IAMs

Hello all! My husband and I have been dealing with Maya's corns (on all her feet) for about a year now. We've managed to keep them under control with soaking and Kerasolv and the use of a Therapaw. Recently a large corn has gotten away from us and I took her to the vet today. The vet recommended surgery but we're not quite ready to try that yet. I'm hoping you can help us with two questions.

1. Where can we suggest our Vet look for the proper tool for hulling?

2. We've tried the duct tape method but had a VERY hard time removing the tape without pulling up skin from the pad. How do you remove the tape?

Thank you for your answers on yet another thread on corns!

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

Has your vet been to the grassmere site to check out what hulling is? Grassmere link

I have yet to hear about an invasive surgery being curative for the corn problem, and that is a long recovery.

I don't know which tool to use but why not put him/her in touch with the vets at OSU or Grassmere to decide on the right tool.

I dropped the duct tape method when I saw how much more corn is removed with the hulling procedure.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

My vet used a root elevator, just as the Grassmere article describes ... and did it just as the Grassmere article describes. He'd never seen a corn nor seen the article before I took dog and printout to him. Now he's the local expert :lol , courtesy Zema.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest boondog

I agree with the hulling method. We had Boon's surgically removed a few years ago. I would never do that again. His recovery wasn't as bad as it has been for others, but the stupid thing was back only a couple of months later. I felt really bad for putting him through it.

Guest MnMDogs

I had Mork's first 2 corns removed (he has 4 now). I would never do it again, and would never recommend it. It was expensive, painful, long recovery, and they were back in months. I still feel bad I put him through that.

His have been successfully hulled, but only when sedated. He does NOT like his feet messed with so we won't get them hulled until he needs to be sedated for another reason. However, if done correctly there should be no blood and no pain. I've had reasonable success with dremeling, and we use TheraPaws for all walks.

Good luck. I hate them.

When they "hull" do they numb the spot? And does it grow back? It looks like it would really hurt.

IIRC my vet used a topical numbing agent the first time but not again. Isn't necessary. The corn usually has only a very tiny attachment point to the pad -- you might get a pinprick of blood but no more.

P.S. As I've mentioned before, after hulling Zema's corn every 3 weeks for months, it was time for a dental. While she was under, vet hulled the corn once again and then just kissed the surface where it had been removed with the surgical laser. Didn't remove any tissue to speak of -- she wasn't sore at all -- really just touched it. And her corn did not return for NINE MONTHS. When it did come back, it was teeny tiny. Had it hulled once more -- that was in September -- and it hasn't been back since. It looks like it might be starting again now, but I can live with annual corn-ness.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom
My vet used a root elevator, just as the Grassmere article describes ... and did it just as the Grassmere article describes. He'd never seen a corn nor seen the article before I took dog and printout to him. Now he's the local expert :lol , courtesy Zema.

Same with our vet :lol Definitely recommend hulling before surgery.

eta: My vet used nothing topically. Dogs stand there and show no signs of stress or pain. The corns we've had hulled have not grown back, but they can.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest PiagetsMom

Piaget has a corn on each front paw. Her vet had never hulled before, but he went to the internet, got the info, and was more than willing to give it a go. I had them hulled a little over a month ago - no anesthetic or numbing needed - and unfortunately, I can feel each of them back. She's not limping yet, so I'm trying to decide if I want to have them hulled again, or try dremmeling them myself.

Guest luvmyhounds

My vet had never heard of corns on dog's pads either. I took the article mentioned to my vet and she offered to order the root elevator tool for me. It was about $20.00. I have been able to hull them out myself, with someone petting Chick. I don't think it hurts them, but it feels funny to them. Chick has had corns on almost every pad. I have tried a lot of things, abreva, hulling, dremelinga bag balm etc. Finally I decided to change her food. I changed to Kirkland's food and started using the bag balm every night. I have also been using Therapaw booties on 2 of her feet when we go for walks on the road. I am happy to say that for now, she only has one corn and its a lot smaller. I really don't know what has made them go away, but I will keep doing what I am doing and hope they don't return.

Our girl had a good sized corn on her pad and through the advice of another grey owner on here I just softened it daily by putting bag balm on it a few times per day while she was laying around then I would gradually work on it with my finger nail to try to get it to loosen up little by little. It took about 4 days and then on the 4th day there it was laying on a dog bed, it had fallen off all by itself or she chewed the rest of it off as it was already 3/4 loose on the 3rd day. Then I just filled in the hole with bag balm afterwards for a few days while she was laying around. If the corn is really small it might be difficult to do it but this one had gotten to be a decent size so it made it easier to get off I think. There was no open wound or blood at all when it fell off. You can get the tissue pretty soft with Bag Balm to where it loosens up pretty good if you just keep applying it and working on it over several days.

Good luck!

Guest PiagetsMom
Our girl had a good sized corn on her pad and through the advice of another grey owner on here I just softened it daily by putting bag balm on it a few times per day while she was laying around then I would gradually work on it with my finger nail to try to get it to loosen up little by little. It took about 4 days and then on the 4th day there it was laying on a dog bed, it had fallen off all by itself or she chewed the rest of it off as it was already 3/4 loose on the 3rd day. Then I just filled in the hole with bag balm afterwards for a few days while she was laying around. If the corn is really small it might be difficult to do it but this one had gotten to be a decent size so it made it easier to get off I think. There was no open wound or blood at all when it fell off. You can get the tissue pretty soft with Bag Balm to where it loosens up pretty good if you just keep applying it and working on it over several days.

Good luck!

Okay, quick question for anyone.......where would you purchase bag balm? Is that something I could get at a pet store, or would I have to look elsewhere for it?

Guest proudway

Hi there,

I was just exploring the site and am new to this corn phenomenom. My girl's limping quite a bit and she's definitely got a couple corns growing. I have not heard of this "bag balm" stuff and I see it can be gotten at Walmart. In what area would one look for this at Walmart. Any suggestions on it's use?

thanks,

Rege Braun & Koty

Hi there,

I was just exploring the site and am new to this corn phenomenom. My girl's limping quite a bit and she's definitely got a couple corns growing. I have not heard of this "bag balm" stuff and I see it can be gotten at Walmart. In what area would one look for this at Walmart. Any suggestions on it's use?

thanks,

Rege Braun & Koty

I think it's just in the section with all the other creams and lotions. It is in a green squarish tin. You just want to massage it into the pad/corn area to soften the corn so you can work away the edges enough to get it lifted. Do the search for hulling though. That's the first best way to go.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest PiagetsMom
Hi there,

thanks,

Rege Braun & Koty

I found mine at Walgreens on the isle with the products for babies (wipes, lotions, etc.), not in the pharmaceutical section. Hope that helps. :)

Guest proudway
Hi there,

thanks,

Rege Braun & Koty

I found mine at Walgreens on the isle with the products for babies (wipes, lotions, etc.), not in the pharmaceutical section. Hope that helps. :)

Thanks, in the mean time, I just had them hulled - not much relief.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I got my bag balm at tractor supply and as soon as I saw the tin it is packaged in I figured out why it is called bag balm. It is for use on cow udders. As often as I had heard mentioned on here it never occurred to me that is what it was intended for.

Guest ozziesmom2007

There was a great article on this topic in an issue of CG magazine last year (I believe it was last year). I have the article and if you want it, let me know and I can privately email it to you.

Steph.