Any Experience With Dental Removal?

Guest gmangel12

Guest gmangel12

Hi. Thanks in advance if anyone has personal experience with this or is a vet. My greyhound had 14 teeth removed today. When we picked her up from the vet she was not able to walk and had to be carried out. They gave her 2 diff infections of pain meds to keep her comfortable. One was Diazepam and the other was Acepromazine and then also an antibiotic injection. They said we can try to feed her a small meal at around 8 but not to be concerned if she does not eat. My only concern is she still is not moving or responding. She is kinda like dead weight just laying on the couch her eyes are moving and focusing on us if we call her name but thats pretty much it. I know she has been through a lot I just want to make sure this is normal and I am wondering when she is going to start to come out of it. They gave us take home pain meds but said not to start until the morning. My vet is amazing and they gave me their home phone # in case we have any emergencies throughout the night so we will be watching her all night. Has anyone been through this before and what was your experience once you got your grey home. Thanks! (btw she is 14 and has no other health problems if that helps anything)

**Edit another thing that is worrying us is her breathing. She seems to be breathing really heavy in spurts. Like normal breathing for a bit then she will start breathing really heavy for a little bit almost like if she had just came in from outside where it was really hot out.

Edited by gmangel12

Guest crazy4greys

My girl Skylar just had all the rest of her teeth removed last Thursday. She is 7 yrs. old.

She was done around 9am and was up and about around 1 pm.

I am not familiar with those meds. Maybe they are making her sleepy. If you don't feel comfortable, I would call the vet. Ask what the side effects are to the meds she was given and is currently on.

I hope she feels better soon.

Oh, what pain meds did they give you?

Edited by crazy4greys

Guest gmangel12

HI thanks for responding. She had her surgery in the morning and we brought her home around 5. They did tell me as a side effect she would be doped up I just did not think this bad and am concerned with her heavy breathing. I dont really want to call them this late at night at home though because its not really an emergency and they dont usually give their home number out. The office is owned by a husband and wife. They gave me Rimadly and Clindamycin to start her on in the morning

I think because of her age I would go ahead and give the vet a call. Since they gave you their home phone number I'm sure they wouldn't mind a call.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

That Acepromazine could really have zonked her out. My vet never uses that. Can you check her temperature?

Last year my 13 y.o. Oliver had a stroke immediately after we picked him up from a dental. Vet thought he was still dopey from meds but it was a stroke. He didn't make it.

Please be vigilant and don't hesitate to call your vet.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My guy had 4 teeth pulled and was zonked for the entire evening after that. He was himself the next day, but that night he just laid there and slept. Ace really does knock them out. When he was on Ace after another surgery, a small dose knocked him out for up to 12 hours - no response at all. I hope she's doing OK! If you're unsure, call the vet. Good luck and hugs for your girl!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest LindsaySF

I would call the vet too. Something doesn't sound right. Can you take her temp?

The heavy breathing worries me. Personally, If I were a vet, I don't know if I would let a dog that can't even walk go home. Seems too soon to me.

Guest gmangel12

Hey everyone she broke from her trance like state around 4am. She went potty outside with help and was able to eat a small meal. We gave her her tablet pain medicidne and she seems pretty comforatble or at least as much as can be expected. What a stressful night!! Thanks for everyones support

Guest Tenderhearts

Glad she's doing a little better. Ace can really knock them out :(

My old gal had several teeth extracted, and really wasn't back to her 'normal' self for a couple of days. She also had some bloody drool for a couple of days, but that didn't affect her appetite one bit! :blink::lol

Make sure she is on pain medication. Acepromazine is not a pain reliever... it is a sedative. Diazepam is not a pain reliever... it is a muscle relaxer.

Certainly between teh Diazepam (valium) and Ace it is not surprising that she was a bit doped up... just be sure that she is on something for pain if you can.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest gmangel12

Hi guys just another update on Red. She is doing even better today. (Her breathing was back to normal the am after the surgery) She is eating almost as much as she use to. You can see she is getting her strength back still but it is coming and she is acting closer to herself. She is on Rimadyl for the pain. Twice a day. Her last day on them is tomorrow do you think by friday she will be out of enough pain or should I call my vet and ask for some more? It just seems to me if I had what she had I would want to be on pain meds for more then 3 days but Im not sure how it is for dogs. What do you think?

After Argos had 4 teeth pulled, he was on Rimadyl for about 4 or 5 days and seemed to be fine after that. Just keep an eye on her, and if she seems to be uncomfortable, call your vet and ask for more. If she seems fine, she probably is. Great news that she's up and about!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest gmangel12

Red is doing soooo good. Yesterday was her first day off pain meds and she seemed the same as the previous few days a bit lethargic but was not showing any signs of pain just sleepy. But today she is back to her old self but almost better. Running around the yard getting excited when we play with her. I have to admit that night we got her home from the vet I was really regretting getting the teeth removed because she scared me so much but now I am happy I did it and she seems so much happier :-) She will still be on antiobotics for the next 2 weeks then we go for a check up at our vet. I hope it goes good but so far its looking great (knock on wood) :-)