Sudden Kidney Failure

Guest Peanut

Guest Peanut

I know there is a discussion on Kidney disease right now, but I didn't want to hijack her thread. I got a call from an adopter today that has had Cal for 5 years. Cal will be 8 on September 1st. This is a summary of the conversation...

I just got off the phone with Cal's family. He went from perfect health and no symptoms to hospitalized in a very short time frame. Friday morning he didn't really want to do much and by lunch, he was extremely shaky. They took him into the vet and he's been there since. they've run blood work -- all is okay. EXCEPT for blood work associated to kidney function. They ultrasounded the kidneys and they look nasty. They are giving him IV fluids -- more than he would typically drink in the day. The vet has consulted with MSU. I've suggested checking for TBD... since they haven't. No toxins in his blood work that indicate he got into anything... The vet told them he seems comfortable other than the panting he is doing. They also prepared the family that he may not make it and would die on his own. At this point, the family wants to do what they can to help Cal and keep him in their lives. So, any thoughts or prayers you could spare would be wonderful.

what i'm wondering is if you know of any greyhound that has gone from bad to better.... what tips can I give this family? I have no experience with this at all!

One of our adopters' dogs got into grapes and went into renal failure. The two greyhounds were essentially in ICU for 5 days or so, but both recovered fully and are still around today. Obviously, the cause of the renal failure was known and they got immediate and extensive supportive care. I don't have any tips, unfortunately , but will think good thoughts for Cal :hope

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

What are his platelets and HCT? Has he been on any meds? What do they mean "nasty"? What exactly is the kidney function?

I'd do a TBD test, but depending on all the above, I'd be tempted to do a shot of doxy.

If he is on any NSAIDs get him off immediately. Find out if the did heartworm and/or flea treatment recently.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Peanut
What are his platelets and HCT? Has he been on any meds? What do they mean "nasty"? What exactly is the kidney function?

I'd do a TBD test, but depending on all the above, I'd be tempted to do a shot of doxy.

If he is on any NSAIDs get him off immediately. Find out if the did heartworm and/or flea treatment recently.

I've requested answers to your questions. I don't have all the details. Dad hadn't written numbers down and kept giving me pieces of information in midst conversation. I could tell he was very overwhelmed with everything and didn't know what to do next.

Yep... they need to know what the numbers are that are "Bad". A friend of mine adopted a dog to some folks who were convinced by their vet that their 3 year old, couldn't kill him if you WANTED to, healthy as a horse greyhound was in renal failure because of a BUN/CREA that were a tad high (though not too bad by "greyhound" standards). The dog is still "terminally ill" 4 years later, LOL.

Lynn

Until you post the answers you get, all I can say is I would be inclined to start doxy like Burpdog suggested. If it's a TBD, unless it's Babesia doxy would be the treatment. Doxy could be beneficial even if it's not a TBD and it's a pretty low risk thing to give.

Also second stopping any NSAIDs that the dog might be on again like Burpdog said. My girl had acute kidney failure pop up somewhat randomly. We never figured out what was wrong, but she had been on a prolonged series of meds (only one at a time but it would be one nsaid, then another) so it could have been that. We stopped those and did doxy while we waited for TBD and lepto test results (all were negative), but she got better. Lepto could be another thing to look for, but again, that's treated with doxy, the test runs about $100 and test results take about a week so you couldn't wait for results anyway.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Baloos_Mom

My Dylan was diagnosed with kidney failure two years ago this past May. We did subq fluids at home for awhile and got him on a diet that works for him. He eats science diet KD mixed with boiled hamburger and rice with a broken up tums (phosphate binder) in each meal. His bloodwork is good now...still not perfect but much more stable and he is doing very well. I understand his situation to not be typical ...he had acute kidney failure because of a bad bone he was given. But is currently on no meds aside from the Tums and if he has any vomit or runs issues we give him a metaclopramide and that's it. He has been greyt. Feel free to PM me if you think I can be of any help. I have something else going on with another Grey that is consuming me right now but if you think I can be of any help I am more than willing but probably won't be on GT much. Good luck!

Guest Peanut

Sorry for not posting sooner. I got a call yesterday and Cal had taken a turn for the worse. The message left from the family was the vet was recommending they let him go. The family made the difficult decision to do so... :(

Thanks for your advice and good thoughts. Cal's at peace and pain free, now.