Hello From Rhode Island!

Guest Gemma

Hey GreyTalk members!

My name is Gemma, and I literally just moved to Providence, Rhode Island, with my husband. We were married on July 13th, had a wonderful honeymoon, and then ran around in a panic trying to get everything packed for the long move from Cincinnati, Ohio, to beautiful RI. I'm from England originally, and I'm still getting used to how different things are here!

Currently, we are the proud owners of five reptiles; Speckles (the 9ft Columbian boa constrictor, age 15), Lucy (4ft ball python, age unknown as she was rescued), Mr Snuffles (6 inch Western hognose, almost two weeks old), Darwin (4ft blue tegu [carnivorous lizard], age 5), and Squishy (15-16 inch bearded dragon, 3-4 years old). We are reptile crazy here! My hubby worked with snakes for his Masters, and he's currently working with amphibians whilst studying for his PhD at Brown. My interest is purely as a hobbyist, and we're hoping to add to the menagerie very soon.

Sometime in the future, when we're all settled and sure of our schedules, we'll be looking to adopt a greyhound. :) This will be my first dog, and hubby's second. We're very excited! I worked with greys and lurchers when I volunteered for a dog rescue last year and just fell in love. We think they are the perfect match for us, and cannot wait to bring one home! We'd eventually like to foster, too, when we have more space.

Currently, I'm looking at the Lincoln greyhound rescue here in RI, but there's so many good rescues in MA that we're scoping those out too! If anyone here is familiar with these groups, I'd love to hear from you.

Anyhoo, I have babbled on enough. :) Thanks for reading!

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

hi and welcome from MA! If you want to get your greyhound fix on a sunday morning: visit Greyhound Adventures www.greyhoundadventures.org They are in the Greater Boston area (but a short trip up route 95)

on saturday mornings you can visit Trailbound Hounds www.trailboundhounds.org , in Southeastern Mass.

They are both walking groups for greyhounds (Trail Bound Hounds does allow other breeds of dogs too).

Greyhound Adventures also has great resources available on their website too, so browse around.

If you're looking for other greyhound fixes too, Lincoln Greyhound Adoption (Twin River) is having a reunion on september 7th.

Greyhound Pets Mass (Middleboro) is having their annual reunion on the 7th too.

September 20th is Greyhound Friends (Hopkinton) open house too.

Lots of ways to get your greyhound fix til you can adopt!

Welcome to greytalk.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest Greyglo

Hi from New Jersey. :wave

Our Ghana came from the Rhode Island track by way of Greyhound Friends NJ.

Looks like there are lots of places for you to get a fix! Enjoy -

Welcome from Providence! There are a bunch of us in the area, so don't be a stranger!

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest GreyRider

Welcome to New England.

We adopted Zeena, our greyhound, from Amazing Greyz in Franklin, MA. Franklin is not far from Provience. Nancy and Mary do a meet and greet every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month at the PETCO in Mansfield, MA also close to Providence. You can contact them at 508-440-5342 or adopt@anazing-greyz.org. good luck!

Welcome from Maryland, Gemma! I'm a Herp-nut too, although I don't have any at home. I volunteered at the reptile house at the Nat'l Zoo for 14 years - that was my FIX!! (My favorites were the Komodos and the pythons...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest BigPercyInMa

Hello from the Cape :)

We also have 2 Beardies. They used to be called Eragon and Saphira. Until we found out Eragon was a girl also, so now they're called Zoe and Chloe :unsure:lol

hi and welcome from MA! If you want to get your greyhound fix on a sunday morning: visit Greyhound Adventures www.greyhoundadventures.org They are in the Greater Boston area (but a short trip up route 95)

on saturday mornings you can visit Trailbound Hounds www.trailboundhounds.org , in Southeastern Mass.

They are both walking groups for greyhounds (Trail Bound Hounds does allow other breeds of dogs too).

Greyhound Adventures also has great resources available on their website too, so browse around.

If you're looking for other greyhound fixes too, Lincoln Greyhound Adoption (Twin River) is having a reunion on september 7th.

Greyhound Pets Mass (Middleboro) is having their annual reunion on the 7th too.

September 20th is Greyhound Friends (Hopkinton) open house too.

Lots of ways to get your greyhound fix til you can adopt!

Welcome to greytalk.

Oh wow, thank you! This is so helpful, and I'm looking forward to stopping by at such events. :)

Welcome from Providence! There are a bunch of us in the area, so don't be a stranger!

Thanks! I was hoping to find other grey owners who are local. :) It would be nice to possibly arrange play dates once we have our pup, or just to hang out with other greyhound lovers.

Welcome to New England.

We adopted Zeena, our greyhound, from Amazing Greyz in Franklin, MA. Franklin is not far from Provience. Nancy and Mary do a meet and greet every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month at the PETCO in Mansfield, MA also close to Providence. You can contact them at 508-440-5342 or adopt@anazing-greyz.org. good luck!

I have been looking at that group, actually. :) I'd love to hear your opinion of them and their adoption process!

Welcome from Maryland, Gemma! I'm a Herp-nut too, although I don't have any at home. I volunteered at the reptile house at the Nat'l Zoo for 14 years - that was my FIX!! (My favorites were the Komodos and the pythons...)

Oh wow, I would love to work at a zoo! Komodos are probably my favourite lizards, too.

Hello from the Cape :)

We also have 2 Beardies. They used to be called Eragon and Saphira. Until we found out Eragon was a girl also, so now they're called Zoe and Chloe :unsure:lol

Ha! I had a similar situation with my girl. I bought her when she was this tiny hatchling and thought she was a boy because of how aggressive she was with the other beardies (she'd head-bob at them and act like a male ready to mate), only to find out later that she was a female. Thankfully, Squishy is a gender neutral name!

Many thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome! I've really enjoyed lurking on these forums, and I look forward to getting to know y'all now that I have time to participate fully.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Amazing Greyz is awesome. They keep small numbers in their home-style kennel. So, they get to know the dogs really personally. They have some basic household things around to get the dogs used to them. I really like how they operate.

They have wonderful information before-during and after adoption. They keep in touch and encourage it from you as well.

Really, really like what they do. I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw how far they've come with the program. In fact, the dogs were listening to Phantom of the Opera (my fave!) when I was there. It's awesome. If I had a chance to adopt again, they'd be my choice. They just know so much about each dog that they have. They send you home with a synopsis of your dog (quirks, habits, feeding schedule, etc. )

Visit them if you get a chance, you'll love it! :)

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Hi Gemma - welcome from Maine. We originally come from Rhode Island (many, many years ago). You will just love living with a greyhound.

Amazing Greyz is awesome. They keep small numbers in their home-style kennel. So, they get to know the dogs really personally. They have some basic household things around to get the dogs used to them. I really like how they operate.

They have wonderful information before-during and after adoption. They keep in touch and encourage it from you as well.

Really, really like what they do. I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw how far they've come with the program. In fact, the dogs were listening to Phantom of the Opera (my fave!) when I was there. It's awesome. If I had a chance to adopt again, they'd be my choice. They just know so much about each dog that they have. They send you home with a synopsis of your dog (quirks, habits, feeding schedule, etc. )

Wow that is so cool about listening to the Phantom of the Opera! They have a wonderful website and I love their approach to getting the greys used to household living.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Thanks! I was hoping to find other grey owners who are local. :) It would be nice to possibly arrange play dates once we have our pup, or just to hang out with other greyhound lovers.

There are a few of us who get together on a somewhat regular (depending on work and life schedules) for play dates and walks.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest RooRoo

:nod:thumbs-up - these ladies are warm, passionate and get know and love each dog like their own... I was moved by my visit there last week. You are sent home with more than just a dog; you're given other tools that help make the transition for everyone as smooth as possible, before, during, after and forever. www.amazing-greyz.org

Kudos to you for taking the responsible steps toward greyhound adoption. This forum is great for everything from training and other advice, sharing stories, photos and anything you can think of. :colgate

Good luck in your new home with your family and hopefully you can embrace the wonder of a greyhound soon! ;)

I'll just through one more group into the mix. Greyhound Rescue of New England which is in Mendon, Mass. Greyhoundrescuene.org. They too are a smaller group & are having a reunion in September. Check out their web site for dates & some lovely dogs :colgate

Best of luck.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
I'll just through one more group into the mix. Greyhound Rescue of New England which is in Mendon, Mass. Greyhoundrescuene.org. They too are a smaller group & are having a reunion in September. Check out their web site for dates & some lovely dogs :colgate

Best of luck.

My apologies to GNRE...I have a flyer sitting here on my desk. Yes, another small group with a lot to give. Sorry Diane. :blush:

Hello from Palm Springs, and I too am from R.I. I went to Brown....tell your DH...good choice!

I certainly will! He loves it here. He actually got accepted at all the unis he applied to (excluding Harvard, but then. . it's Harvard), and he chose Brown because of the warm welcome he received, and because of how awesome this particular lab is. He's as happy as a pig in muck!

Thank you very much for the info! It's always good to hear about personal experiences. We shall definitely visit them once we're ready to adopt.

Hi Gemma - welcome from Maine. We originally come from Rhode Island (many, many years ago). You will just love living with a greyhound.

Thanks for the welcome. :) It's beautiful here in RI. I thought I'd be badly homesick as I've lived in England all my life, but Providence is so pretty and, when it rains, it smells just like my old home.

There are a few of us who get together on a somewhat regular (depending on work and life schedules) for play dates and walks.

Awesome! I'll post more about meets and things once we have our pup. It's good to know there are others around.

:nod:thumbs-up - these ladies are warm, passionate and get know and love each dog like their own... I was moved by my visit there last week. You are sent home with more than just a dog; you're given other tools that help make the transition for everyone as smooth as possible, before, during, after and forever. www.amazing-greyz.org

Kudos to you for taking the responsible steps toward greyhound adoption. This forum is great for everything from training and other advice, sharing stories, photos and anything you can think of. :colgate

Good luck in your new home with your family and hopefully you can embrace the wonder of a greyhound soon! ;)

Thank you for this! Amazing Greys has been of interest to me for sometime and, hearing this, I am strongly leaning towards them. I would love to get a grey now but things are still a little uncertain here, and I would hate to get a dog only to find that I have to be out of the house all day (as is my husband). I know it's the right thing to wait, and I'm using the time to do a lot of reading and talking to grey owners, even if I do wish I could have my pup right now!

Best of luck.

I've been looking at them too. :) Their website is so clear and informative, and a couple of the dogs have caught my eye, I must confess. It's hard to choose where to go when I'm surrounded by so many wonderful rescues!

Welcome from Ohio! Can't wait to see some pictures of the cold-blooded members of your family!!

Oo, you want pictures? That's a good enough excuse for this proud reptile-mamma to show off. ;)

This is our eldest, Speckles. He's a columbian red tail boa constrictor, age 15, and middle-aged for this species.

specklesonbed1.jpg

Lucy is our ball python. 4ft, unknown age, but at least 9-10 years old. She's really shy; this is her hiding in my boot!

Picture006a.jpg

Our current baby, Mr Snuffles. He's a Western Hognose, and just 2 weeks, 3 days old.

DSCF0061.jpg

Our biggest lizard is Darwin; 4ft long, 6 years old, and cute as a button!

Darwinonchairweb.jpg

Finally, this is my baby-girl, Squishy. I raised her from a hatchling. She's a bearded dragon, 3-4 years old.

DSCF0153a.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome! I hope y'all enjoy the pics of my current pets. :)

EDIT: Whoops! I forgot our latest addition. He arrived yesterday, and is my husband's, so he totally slipped my mind. He's a frog of unknown age, called Higgs Boson (Higgens for short), and he's a cornuta or 'horned frog'.

Higgs2.jpg

Edited by Gemma

Guest crazy4greys
Welcome to New England.

Amazing Greyz is awesome!! They have helped us out a lot with some dogs. I highly recommend them!!

Click here

Welcome from CT!!