Advantix Reaction

Guest bonefishj0e

Guest bonefishj0e

I used Advantix for the first time on Regal on my vet's recommendation, and he (the dog, not the vet) has been rubbing walls, my bed, anything he can get an angle on, trying to scratch his spine ever since. He's rubbing everything like a cat leaving scent markers, but I can tell he's just trying to scratch his back. Is this normal? Will he settle down eventually? Has anyone else used Advantix? If so, how did your dogs react to it?

Guest heidihvt

Hey there! I've used Advantix before as I'm a vet tech and have received free samples. My rat terrier has had the same symptoms. I brought it up with the Bayer rep. and come to find out he has a sensitivity to one of the chemicals in Advantix. I don't want to get all technical on you so I'll keep it simple. It's not like their having an allergic reaction or anything but some animals (especially smaller, white dogs) tend to have a sensitivity to advantix. It feels like a numb/tingling feeling on their back so that's why they're constantly rubbing. Some do it for a couple hours, some do it for longer. As for my pup, he did it for a week or two. I tried it a couple times and the same thing happened so that's why I figured I'd ask the rep. According to them products with tick control (Vectra, etc) will do the same. Personally I'll just stick with Advantage since I don't have any tick issues. Hope this helps!

John E had a sensitivity to Advantix. When I called my vet to ask her, she said no one else had complained at the time and it was her preference as it also repels mosquitos.

As time went by, I saw a few people posting here about the sensitivity and itchiness. So, in answer to your question, some dogs have had a reaction. I would ask for my money back from the manufacturer or your purchase source and get Frontline or another product.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I use Advantage, Advantix is not safe around cats, so we do not carry it at our hospital. Too many families have dogs and cats that snuggle.

Because of the low body fat on greyhounds I use 1/2 the tube on the 1st of the month and the other on the 15th. This is the first summer in years I have had to use anything.

Kind of off the topic but is Regal from NGAP in Philly? His picture looks familiar.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest charmsmom

Our kennel actually tells people NOT to use Advantix because hounds are very sensitive to one of the chemicals. I would use Advantage, Frontline Plus, or Sentinel.

Guest bonefishj0e
I use Advantage, Advantix is not safe around cats, so we do not carry it at our hospital. Too many families have dogs and cats that snuggle.

Because of the low body fat on greyhounds I use 1/2 the tube on the 1st of the month and the other on the 15th. This is the first summer in years I have had to use anything.

Kind of off the topic but is Regal from NGAP in Philly? His picture looks familiar.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Regal is my first grey (and my first dog), so hearing it first-hand from veteran grey owners has been great.

He's slowed down on the scratching (he only did it first thing this morning today - I applied it on Tuesday). I'll talk to my vet about using something else.

Yes, Regal is from NGAP in Philly. He was there for quite a while until I got him two weeks ago, so if you're familiar with NGAP you would have seen him around there. Also, the picture you see is the one I lifted from his Petfinder profile, so anyone browsing NGAP's "featured hounds" within the last two years would have seen him there. I don't know why they had him listed as "high-energy" though because I'm amazed at his capacity for sleep.

Edited by bonefishj0e

Guest crazy4greys

I don't use Advantix as my vet recommended I do not as he has seen bad reactions in other greyhounds.

I don't use Frontline Plus either only because the fleas around here seem to be immune to it.

I use Advantage with a Preventic tick collar. Have never had a problem. :)

One of our adopters used it and their hound had to be PTS due to uncontrollable seizures. I've asked around to my favorite vets and while there seems to be no hard evidence that it's not safe on greyhounds, I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Lots of greyhound folks *do* use it and with no adverse effects. I'm just not willing to chance it.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Do not use on puppies under 7 weeks of age. Do not apply Advantix for Dogs to cats or animals other than dogs. Do not permit cats to actively groom or have close physical contact with a recently treated dog. Do not get this product in the pet?s eyes or mouth. Use with caution in sick and debilitated animals. Safe to use on puppies from 7 weeks of age. This product causes eye irritation in humans and is harmful if swallowed. Avoid contact with skin. Call poison control center if swallowed. If on skin, wash with plenty of soap and water. If in eyes, flush with plenty of water.

Ingredients

100 g/L IMIDACLOPRID (8.8%), 500 g/L PERMETHRIN (44.0%)

This is the one I was thinking of. I remember seeing a sign in a vet's office: do not sell to homes with cats.....

Remember the if it's safe for cats, it's ok for greys.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits