What Is This?

Guest Gangstersmom

Guest sunshine123

Hello,

I was wondering if any Greyhound owners every ran into something like this??? I have had Gangster to the Vet and he told me it was a tumor. So, we are on a round of antibiotics and then back to the Vet on Monday. At that point, he would like to schedule surgery to remove this and have it biopsied. The Vet said that he may have to remove his whole toe, due to the positon of this tumor. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am a little (lot) worried.

gangtoe.jpg

Could be a benign histiocytoma -- they usually go away on their own.

Might ask your vet about doing an aspirate rather than surgery -- quick, easy, gets a sample for biopsy, no anaesthesia needed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yeow, that looks bad.

Vets seem to like to amputate toes for biopsies. They wanted to do that to an old cat of ours. We declined. We did give her Metacam for general soreness and the toe problem regressed; go figure. This tumor looks much worse than our cat's toe swelling/discoloration did though. Antibiotics (Zeniquin) helped but when we stopped it the soreness returned. Same when we stop the Metacam. I do wish they'd just aspirate as Batmom suggests. I've had no luck getting that to happen.

Here's something on claw and footpad diseases that might help you sort it out. I found it when looking for info on my cat's toe problem.

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings...2&O=Generic

Hope the thing goes away and that Gangster keeps his toe.

Marcia in SC

Owey!

Without anything useful to say about the growth, I'm wondering if the length of the claw is irritating it? I'm imagining that if it were shorter, it would pull back on that area less as it would touch the ground/floor less, and maybe not irritate the wound so much. Just a thought, the rest of which are all positive, healing, benign-nothingness-which-will-go-away-on-its-own thoughts!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I'm not a vet and can't judge a boo-boo or tumor from a photo on line (but neither would reputable vets!)

Honestly, if that was on my dog's paw I'd go with the best in-person vet opinion I had to date. If I did not trust my vet I'd get a second and third opinion. Presuming you have a vet that you trust and he/she has eyeballed it and thinks it is a tumor that should be removed ASAP, I'd go with that judgement.

My wonderful vet says that with a little lump -- aspirate, path report and remove as necessary. But if my trusted vet said remove a toe to get clear margins -- I'd do it in a nano second. Yep, the grey might have a limp but lumps can be horrid and clean margins are all important..

I hate lumps. We have removed a couple here. We have also had to have radical scar revision to get clean margins even with wide margins taken on the first pass.

Hope it all works out well and that it is not a cancerous tumor. It could just be a boo boo . . .

Hugs.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest Cris_M

Perhaps it is something as simple as a fungal infection. Gabriel had something that looked very similar to that. A few days on an anti-fungal cream and it cleared up. BTW, antibiotics are worthless with a fungal infection.

I sincerely hope it can be easily resolved.

Guest sunshine123

Well, back from the Vet. Antibiotics did nothing. Whatever this is, it has gotten bigger since Thursday. So, the vet took some blood and now we are going to schedule surgery !! Hopefully just for removal of the "tumor"!! I am hoping that he doesn't have to take his whole toe. The vet is concerned because it is so close to his pad. :weep

I'm not a vet and can't judge a boo-boo or tumor from a photo on line (but neither would reputable vets!)

Honestly, if that was on my dog's paw I'd go with the best in-person vet opinion I had to date. If I did not trust my vet I'd get a second and third opinion. Presuming you have a vet that you trust and he/she has eyeballed it and thinks it is a tumor that should be removed ASAP, I'd go with that judgement.

My wonderful vet says that with a little lump -- aspirate, path report and remove as necessary. But if my trusted vet said remove a toe to get clear margins -- I'd do it in a nano second. Yep, the grey might have a limp but lumps can be horrid and clean margins are all important..

I hate lumps. We have removed a couple here. We have also had to have radical scar revision to get clean margins even with wide margins taken on the first pass.

Hope it all works out well and that it is not a cancerous tumor. It could just be a boo boo . . .

Hugs.

I do trust my vet. I just want the best for my Gangster!!

Guest greytexplorer

I am so sorry! Keeping everything crossed so that the toe and pad will stay intact.

Please keep us posted, and don't forget the post-surgery pictures!

Guest sunshine123

gang3.jpg

gang1.jpg

gang2.jpg

I know his nail is long..... I just don't have the heart to keep messing with his paw.

I am so sorry! Keeping everything crossed so that the toe and pad will stay intact.

Please keep us posted, and don't forget the post-surgery pictures!

Thank you. The picture I just posted is from tonight. You can see how much this thing has grown in such a short time.

Edited by sunshine123

It could just be a histiocytoma judging from your latest pictures. Did your vet do a needle aspirate and stain the cells to check under the microscope? If not, I would personally insist on this before any surgery. A histio is Almost always benign and will resolve on it's own in roughly 6 weeks (give or take). There is always a possibility that it's a Mast Cell or something else like a melanoma, but a needle biopsy would tell you those things too.

I'm glad to know you do trust your vet, that's very important and I'm not saying he/she is wrong to pursue surgical intervention, but I personally like to take all possible minor diagnostic paths before venturing in to anything that requires major drugs and surgery. :)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest sunshine123

gang0821.jpg

Poor guy!! It was surgery day! The Vet called and said he did have to cut in to the pad on his foot. Whatever this thing is grew so big within one week. He didn't however have to take his toe. Whew!! So, Gangster came home had some food and water. For dessert a pain pill. This is how he has been most of the night. Monday, is check up day at the Vets office. It is one week for the biopsy results.

Thanks to everyone for their replys.

Edited by sunshine123

I am very happy to hear that he is home, Bless his heart I hope he feels better real soon. :bighug:getwell

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

:grouphug for you and Gangster! Hope he recovers well from the surgery.

I'm holding you guys in the Light for clean margins and a nothing path report.

Please keep the thread up dated with the news!

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh, good, I am glad to hear the toe was spared! I hope the whatever-it-is turns out to be benign and your pup heals up quickly.

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest sunshine123

Thank you all so much!!! It is funny, I can be so supportive to everybody when they have problems with there Greys...but, oh boy, when it is my guy I just turn into a train wreck.

Last night, he slept like a baby. I am home from work today, I would be worthless if I didn't stay home with him. Some how he did manage to get a little of the vet wrap off the top, but I have plenty of that in this house. He just ate some breakfast and did a super balance act trying to pee. So, it is nap time again.

Stayed turned for more adventures of Gangster and whatever-this-thing-is...................

Guest paulamariez

Sending lots of prayers, love and light for your sweet Gangster! Hope he heals up quickly and without any problems! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending your sweet boy some get well doggie kisses too!

Guest sunshine123

Well Gangster had his surgery ~ Good News!! They didn't have to take his toe!! Still waiting for the biopsy results. :huh2

GRAPHIC WARNING ********************************************* PHOTOS BELOW *********************

gangsurg2-1.jpg

gangsurg1.jpg

gangsurg.jpg

Edited by sunshine123

Guest sunshine123
Is it typically bandaged or left open. It looks so painful. Has the path report come back? Big hugs to your baby. :bighug

No,not typically left open. The picture was taken right after I just cleaned it with a water/Betadine solution. After that, I just slip a sock over it with some vet wrap at the top and hope that the sock will stay on through the night. Which, so far has been happening about every other night.

He still won't really put any pressure on his paw to walk. Which I really can't blame him. I am on the last of the pain pills for Gangster. So, I am calling the Vet today to see if he should have more. Since it is a holiday weekend, I don't want to be without them. :unsure

Guest sunshine123

Gangster is currently on antibiotics 3 times a day. Also, Tramadol twice a day and Previcox once a day. (both for pain)

He seems to be breathing heavier than normal. Would the pain medicine have anything to do with this?