Coccidia - Disinfecting The Yard

A friend not on this list recently adopted a whippet from a shelter. Sweet dog. Shortly afterwards, her 3 hounds get very, very sick - it's coccidia.

They will be treated but what should she do for her yard?

According to references she's found on the internet, bleach doesn't work.

If anyone has success-based experience to share - it would be more than welcome!!

This is all I could find:

Because coccidia is spread by the feces of carrier animals, it is very important to practice strict sanitation. All fecal material should be removed. Housing needs to be such that food and water cannot become contaminated with feces. Clean water should be provided at all times. Most disinfectants do not work well against coccidia; incineration of the feces, and steam cleaning, immersion in boiling water, or a 10% ammonia solution are the best methods to kill coccidia. Coccidia can withstand freezing.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

When Quiet Man had Coccidia my vet & I suspected it was caused by his constant rabbit poop eating. I muzzled him with a poop guard on it for a while, til the rabbit went away ;)

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I looked up coccidia. I was shocked to read that crickets, flies, and cockroaches carry it. I don't know how many crickets our puppy has eaten in the last couple of months!

Anyway, the good news is that it generally doesn't affect those with good immune systems. So, if your friend's dogs all get healthy, maybe the coccida will be held at bay and the yard will be a non-issue.

Another shocker is discovering that eating rabbit poo really isn't bad (ick anyway) but that eating or handling rabbits can give you Tularemia! Even ticks and deer flies carry that.

Marcia in SC

Guest ChasesMum

gross. ammonia or boiling water bath for the yard, steam cleaning the grass, those sound like pleasant endeavors! :P

I guess a Toronto winter won't kill it?!? yipes!

I had a puppy (many years ago) who had it and the adult dogs didn't get it nor was my vet concerned about them getting it since they were all healthy. Once the pup got over it, she never got it again and yes, they all pooped in the yard etc. I didn't do anything special to get it out of the yard. My vet said that healthy dogs and dogs with good immune systems would be fine, and they were.

Hope all goes ok with your friends dogs. It's messy and stinky and frustrating. (I learned more about dog poop than I ever thought I'd want to know in a lifetime!)

Guest mickie37

I raise sheep, and the lambs can get coccidia at weaning due to the stress. To prevent this I put all my sheep on a preventative and haven't had a case of coccidia in the last 7 years. One lamb refused to eat the medicated pellets this spring and started to show the symptoms of coccidia ingestion. That shows the organism had survived for 7 years. I isolated the little guy and treated him and he survived.

Mickie

Stacks-Haus Sheep Company

Ohio on the North Coast

Seems like a good immune system is the key to being healthy and being able to throw off the nasties in the environment. And yes, Anne, one gets to learn a lot about poops while trying to get dogs healthy. :lol:

Interesting about the coccidia living at least 7 years. Yeow.

Marcia in SC