What Will Fish Food Do To A Dog?

A certain ironically-named brindle dog who is taller than I am when he stands up on his hind legs got it into his head to raid the supposedly way-out-of-reach fish supply shelf today. A certain petite black dog helped him devour the spoils of his hunt... ergo, three jars of assorted betta food in their entirety and a jar of bloodworms. They also nabbed a bottle of Stress Coat, but it must have tasted/smelled horrible because it was still full despite having a puncture toward the top of the bottle, so they didn't ingest much if any of that.

Aside from the messy diarrhea now decorating the back yard, what will the orgy of betta food and treats do to them? Anything? I'm inclined to think that Big D will be the extent of it.

The fish are going hungry tonight. Tomorrow night the new fish food will be stored inside a child-locked cabinet, which just to be safe will also require a step stool to reach. There is no display of determination quite as impressive as Tiny's when he is on the prowl for forbidden fruit. Thank goodness he doesn't have opposable thumbs.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

A certain ironically-named brindle dog who is taller than I am when he stands up on his hind legs got it into his head to raid the supposedly way-out-of-reach fish supply shelf today. A certain petite black dog helped him devour the spoils of his hunt... ergo, three jars of assorted betta food in their entirety and a jar of bloodworms. They also nabbed a bottle of Stress Coat, but it must have tasted/smelled horrible because it was still full despite having a puncture toward the top of the bottle, so they didn't ingest much if any of that.

Aside from the messy diarrhea now decorating the back yard, what will the orgy of betta food and treats do to them? Anything? I'm inclined to think that Big D will be the extent of it.

The fish are going hungry tonight. Tomorrow night the new fish food will be stored inside a child-locked cabinet, which just to be safe will also require a step stool to reach. There is no display of determination quite as impressive as Tiny's when he is on the prowl for forbidden fruit. Thank goodness he doesn't have opposable thumbs.

I can relate! The Flashman consumed a whole container of fish food and 1/2 of the container. :rolleyes: I had another one so I took him and the container to the vet. IF memory serves me correct...they were concerned with the zinc...but felt that there was not enough in it for it to be a problem. We gave him bread and he passed the pieces of plastic container without incident. He did not get the big D. B) Hope all is well your way. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

:fart :fart

Sully the past year or so has eaten 2 small bottles of dried baby brine shrimp

Actually I don't even think they gave him gas...

I keep trying to find new and inventive ways of hiding the fish foods, but one slip and he's there... or he figures out how to open or undo wherever I've hidden it. :ph34r

I guess the brine shrimp are just irresistible! :lol

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Fish food is largely ground fish, liberally dosed with menhaden oil (from another species of fish). It's almost pure fish protein, except for some brands that add vegetable matter for whatever reason.

Shouldn't cause any long-lasting harm. Er, except to the carpet.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

look between their toes for evidence of webbing, if found, check the neck area for gills, rub especially behind the ears to make sure (pleasureable groans may indicate incipient gilldom), gills must be sprayed with water until the fish food wears off. webbed toes tend to be permanent tho. no evidence the webbing helps them swim unless combined with gills.

p.s. - gilled greyhounds have been clocked at 45 knots underwater for short distances.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

look between their toes for evidence of webbing, if found, check the neck area for gills, rub especially behind the ears to make sure (pleasureable groans may indicate incipient gilldom), gills must be sprayed with water until the fish food wears off. webbed toes tend to be permanent tho. no evidence the webbing helps them swim unless combined with gills.

p.s. - gilled greyhounds have been clocked at 45 knots underwater for short distances.

They're in real trouble, then. We're in the middle of a drought. :lol

The Big D seems to have resolved. Other than both of them shooting the occasional hopeful glances at the shelf (maybe more fish food will appear?) that seems to be the end of it.

Thanks!

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg