Can Drontal Cause Explosive D?

My pack started their 2nd round of drontal for their hookworm last night. We will be bringing in their 2nd sample tomorrow morning.

This morning Beau and Teddy (my chow hound) did not want to eat ANY breakfast and when they were on their walk, Beau had explosive diarrhea.

Could that be from the meds or could there be something else going on? His poop had been liquid, but got better over the course of the 2 weeks. Not perfect, but better. He always has very soft poop.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest paulamariez

When my pack had hooks, right about the time of taking the second round of Panacur, Bueller's Big D got worse again after getting much better in the previous weeks. I was concerned and talked to the vet and he told me it was the second hatch of the hookworm eggs. That is the reason they get a couple doses of the medication. From what I understood from the vet (if I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me!) the medications only kill the adult hooks, not the eggs. You have to wait for the second hatch of the eggs to kill those. And then the vet had us give the hounds the monthly heartworm medication for a full year after the hook episode (no skipping the winter months!), so that any remaining few hookworms would be killed off by the heartworm meds. (which also kills the hooks). I hope your hounds are feeling better soon! Poor guys! And aren't they all so very cute too! I know my guys felt really icky when they had the hooks, especially Bueller, since he had them really bad.

Drontal can cause diarrhea, though it generally doesn't. However, I'd be surprised if he didn't have a reaction to it on the first dose, but did on the second dose. Could happen, I suppose.

Anything else they could have gotten into?

Hmm. Just read Paulamariez's post. That could be the case.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Just got call back from the vet. Quite honestly, I have no idea what I gave them. I'm not sure it was drontal or panacur but it was $305.00 for all of them!!!

She was not surprised at all, said I can give flagyl and I should wait a week before bringing in the new sample. Hope it passed.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest longdogs
When my pack had hooks, right about the time of taking the second round of Panacur, Bueller's Big D got worse again after getting much better in the previous weeks. I was concerned and talked to the vet and he told me it was the second hatch of the hookworm eggs. That is the reason they get a couple doses of the medication. From what I understood from the vet (if I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me!) the medications only kill the adult hooks, not the eggs. You have to wait for the second hatch of the eggs to kill those. And then the vet had us give the hounds the monthly heartworm medication for a full year after the hook episode (no skipping the winter months!), so that any remaining few hookworms would be killed off by the heartworm meds. (which also kills the hooks). I hope your hounds are feeling better soon! Poor guys! And aren't they all so very cute too! I know my guys felt really icky when they had the hooks, especially Bueller, since he had them really bad.

Almost right. It's not the eggs but the larvae that are the problem because the drugs don't hit them until they become adult. Dogs are infected directly by larvae from the environment burrowing through their skin. Normal heartworm medication does not kill hooks at all. I assume you were using a combined heartworm/intestinal worm monthly treatment.

I've not seen any reaction at all to drontal. $305 seems amazingly expensive! Without tests and consultations it is about $17 AUS per dose if you use our online suppliers. There are also good alternatives (Paratek Plus) at half that price.

Guest paulamariez

Quote: Normal heartworm medication does not kill hooks at all. I assume you were using a combined heartworm/intestinal worm monthly treatment.

Yup, we were giving Interceptor. The vet said that would take care of the heartworms and any hookworms. We gave it to our pack of 4 and not once did we ever have a recurrence. I don't really know what Drontal is, but I've heard of it. Our vet definitely gave our hounds Panacur. It was some white liquid stuff we had to give them in a syringe. And it was relatively inexpensive here. (I'm in Wisconsin)

I hope Beau and Teddy are doing better with their hooks and their Big D and eating more!! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending your pack some get well doggie kisses! They said to tell your hounds, THEY'VE BEEN THERE!!

Just for the record, my dogs have been on monthly of interceptor....

Anyway, today they are much better. Poop is soft but not like yesterday. When Teddy walks away from food, I KNOW he is not feeling well!!