Glucosamine- Not For A Grey

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

My dad has a senior pug(12) that they want to start on glucosamine but are unsure of the dose. Does anyone know what the mg per lb would be? Thanks in advance.

Guest longdogs

Glucosamine has a very low toxicity. Whatever you give is very unlikely to cause any harm because it is already present in the body in higher concentrations than you are going to use, which rather casts doubt on the benefit of supplying more.

i found this in a veterinary website:

The dose is 1/4 of a 500mg tablet once daily per 10 lbs of body weight.

most sites recommend glucosamine with chondroitin, and the ones with MSM are also better.

a site with more info

my direct experience with it is my neighbour's 8 yr old lurcher who was developing a limp due to a joint problem in his paw, sometimes he'd be too pained to go for walks. she started him on glucosamine & chondroitin & within three weeks he was back to his old self. when she ran out a few months later, she wanted to see if stopping it made any difference, he started showing the limp again, so she's been giving it to him ever since and he's been fine and running like a pup ever since... i've got blue and millie on a daily dose of glucosamine, chondrotin and MSM as they are also 8.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.