Lets Hear Your Sucess Stories!

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Guest p51crazyhorse

I love a happy ending, I want to see yours!!! have you gotten a grey that needed to put on weight? had a broken leg? a skin rash? eye infection?

Any ailment that a before and after picture would show the recovery, post it here and lets hear some good happy endings!!!

Streamers story

My second foster (we ended up failing) was a great racer, Xtrem Le Grumpy is his name but we call him Streamer......

When he came to us he had a recently amputated tail that he would not leave alone-they had to redo the amputation two times! he would chew off the stitches after removing the e-collar, while wearing a muzzle with the front taped and after he had pulled all the bandaging off. he needed constant supervision, there was nothing left to amputate.

He had been in the vet for days and days, they couldnt keep him from getting to his tail either and he had lost a ton of weight.

When he came to us he weighed 54 pounds, had horrible diaper rash and wasnt eating.

here is what he looked like, when we got him (5/15), a month after that (6/12) and then this last one was taken today. (look at the hair on his bum!!!)

StreamerB4andAfter2.jpg

this is from above, with Cabot (on left) standing next to Streamer for comparison, when we got Streamer and then a month later

CabotandStreamerB4andAfter.jpg

He is a happy boy now!!!weighs about 75 pounds and all the hair on his tail and thighs has grown back!

here is his page on the GALT website-when he still had his tail.... http://www.greyhoundadoptiontx.org/available/streamer.shtml

streamer.jpg

You've done wonders for him! :D Give your sweet handsome boy a :kiss2 from us and tell him that long tails are greatly overrated. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

5 years ago we took a grey away from a man that would let him roam the area , animal control picked him up lying in a alley dieing , they took him to the shelter and they called us , when we got there the owner called wanting his DOG , sharon got on the phone and told him to call SOUTHLAND and explain how he got in this condition , GREYS REVOLUTION had a bullet in his right front leg , 96 ticks imbeded , thousands of fleas , and a bad case of heart worm and weighed 52 lbs from his normal 76 , he smelled like a garbage dump , we took him straight to our vet and after about 3 months he was a happy boy , we named him THE REV----2-25-06 we had to have him put to sleep becuase of cancer he was 10 years old , his grave is in our yard along with all the others and we miss him very much.

Guest jerrybird

Now this is a topic I'm going to enjoy reading about in Health & Medical! I'm sure there are many inspirational stories out there that will lift my spirits today.

In August of 2005 we decided to adopt a second grey. We brought Gabe home and thought all was well. We were told he was food aggressive so were very careful. Unfortunately, he decided one of his toys was enough like food to guard it, and attacked our poor Shadow when he walked in the room. It happened so fast! But there was a lot of damage.

2863Shadowouch.jpg

We debated whether to keep Gabe and be more diligent, but when Shadow came home from the e-vet he was so terrified of Gabe that he wouldn't come in the house. :( So Gabe went back to the group, where he was adopted out a few weeks later :)

By December of that year, Shadow was healed up and we were ready to try again. And along came Tori. She and Shadow get along so well and have never had so much as a cross word with each other. They are my joy. This is a picture of Shadow with both his shoulder and his confidence healed nicely. We had had Tori for only a couple weeks when this picture was taken.

shadowntori.jpg

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest p51crazyhorse
Now this is a topic I'm going to enjoy reading about in Health & Medical! I'm sure there are many inspirational stories out there that will lift my spirits today.

And that is exactly why I started it!!! this is good stuff! it gives hope when it is needed, these dogs can pull thru some amazing setbacks!

MeandMy-WOW Shadow got it good didnt he poor baby, I cant imagine that kindof damage done so quick! that thin skin just gives so easy!!!

Saved2-The Rev found you guys just in time, you know he appreciated every second while living with you!!!!

Not so much a fix-a-grey story, but I found Tito at the pound while looking for a greyhound that was lost (Barkley, Sun City, AZ- still missing). He was "e-listed" for "extreme fear," meaning he was going to be put down after the mandatory 5-day wait unless someone picked him up.

hound1.jpg

So, after seeing him 3-4 times, I had a 36-hour hold put on him 10 minutes before they closed on a Friday which was effectively his last chance at ever having one more meal on this planet. I got to handle him Saturday, and he was completely unsocialized. Fortunately, there were no signs of neglect or abuse. So, after de-nutting, I literally dragged him home where he promptly escaped from the car. I drove off after him, and was able to step on his leash at an opportune pee break. In the backyard, he spent two weeks languishing by the back fence- except for when he had to be crated, since Minerva wanted to eat him.

P1010595.jpg

This continued throughout the heat of the summer for about 5 months. Finally, in September (I think it was), I gave up and just let Minerva lay into him, with her muzzle on. After about 15 minutes, she got tired and quit. We walked them together shortly after that, and Minerva only tried to kill him 10-15 times on a half hour walk. Eventually she got the idea that he wasn't edible, and now she just plays rough with him instead of trying to kill him.

P1010019.jpg

Lest anyone think I exaggerate for my much-vaunted comedic effect, no- she really *did* try to kill him for 5 months.

Tito is now the best guard dog in the pack.

P1010022.jpg

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest p51crazyhorse

I realize that this might be a dumb question but is Tito part wolf?

he is amazingly cute!!!

Edited by p51crazyhorse

Guest Dragonmom

When i got Winnie she had been bounced twice and weighed 55lbs. She both hook and tape worm. She had horrid dandruff and was shedding like mad. Now after 4 1/2 months she is a healthy 65lbs and hopefully worm free. a test in the next couple weeks will tell for sure.

These are success stories of 2 of my fosters, all of which are now in forever homes. One named "luv being a Star" came off the hauler with an open incision in his abdomen. Yuo could see all of his insides. The vet went to nuter him and discovered an undecended testical. So they opened him up and went looking for it. They found it, stitshed him up and put him on the truck that day. 36 hours later he had pulled out all of his stiches and was a mess. We had to put warm compresses on his insides to hrlp him drain. He is fine now,and in a happy home.

The last one Sassy's Gunner had such SA that he stoped eating and came to us dehydrated and a small martingale would fit him just fine. He weighed 50 lb. 7 months later he now weighs 70 lbs has a large martingale and lives in his forever home with another Grey.

Over the past 2 years we have had 5 fosters all living in their forever homes. We still have one Grey, Silver and 2 cats Merlin and Piwacket.

These are success stories of 2 of my fosters, all of which are now in forever homes. One named "luv being a Star" came off the hauler with an open incision in his abdomen. Yuo could see all of his insides. The vet went to nuter him and discovered an undecended testical. So they opened him up and went looking for it. They found it, stitshed him up and put him on the truck that day. 36 hours later he had pulled out all of his stiches and was a mess. We had to put warm compresses on his insides to hrlp him drain. He is fine now,and in a happy home.

The last one Sassy's Gunner had such SA that he stoped eating and came to us dehydrated and a small martingale would fit him just fine. He weighed 50 lb. 7 months later he now weighs 70 lbs has a large martingale and lives in his forever home with another Grey.

Over the past 2 years we have had 5 fosters all living in their forever homes. We still have one Grey, Silver and 2 cats Merlin and Piwacket.

Sorry I hit the button twice. Sorry

Mom to Nodens( Carl Lackey)and Pywackett (kittie)

Guest paulamariez

About two years ago, right before we moved, Tiger got attacked in our backyard by two strays. We lived in the Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine forest. There was camping as well as walking and biking trails nearby and more than once we had someone's lost dog wander through our yard. The dogs that did this to Tiger were never caught to my knowledge, nor did we find out whose they were. We rushed Tiger to the Evet where he had seven (!) hours of surgery to repair his wounds. When he came home, he had 10 drains in him. Then Tiger had an allergic reaction to the Rimadyl that he was given at the Evet and his kidneys started shutting down. He was peeing blood. His urine looked like red wine. We had to rush him back to our regular vet where they flushed his kidneys with IV solutions and thankfully, he got full function back. Now, about 2 1/2 years later after thousands of dollars and lots of TLC from his mom, Tiger is fine and you'd never know, short of some scars and scar tissue, what he went through. Be warned the following pictures are tough to look at.

The first ones are right when Tiger came home:

43626.jpg

43564.jpg

P7240053.jpg

Tiger recovering:

P7300012.jpg

P7300009.jpg

And my most precious boy Tiger today!

P7130039.jpg

I'm still paying off the vet bills, but my Tiggy Tiger is worth every penny!

Edited by paulamariez

I realize that this might be a dumb question but is Tito part wolf?

he is amazingly cute!!!

The overall morphology is that of a wolf mix, but when you break it into components, he's probably not- or very low percentage wolf at best. I called in a favor with the Candy Kitchen in New Mexico, where they take care of wolf hybrids that these nutcases buy for their macho image, and end up ditching them because they're uncontrollable. The big giveaways are:

Tail has a "J" hook. Wolf tails are pendant, no curl to 'em.

Ears are all wrong. Wolf ears lack hair inside, and are held higher on the head, with pointy tips.

Eyes are wrong.

There's some other stuff, too, but it's fortunate they didn't destroy him at the pound as they're not very good about telling what's what, and wolf hybrids are destroyed upon intake- no holding for owners at all.

I've been pondering what he is- and waiting on the DNA tests to get a little better- but I think he's something like a malamute + bearded collie. The former explains his size, while the latter explains some bits like the way his fur is, and his behavior.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Sprite, October 2005 had a lump on her back, surgeons removed it, here is a not so great picture of it:

sprite_tumor_005.jpg

Day after surgery:

sprite_post_srugery_for_tumor_001.jpg

sprite_post_srugery_for_tumor_002.jpg

sprite_post_srugery_for_tumor_003.jpg

vets report- Diagnosis:

1. Soft tissue Sarcoma, Myxosarcoma, moderate to well-differentiated. Grade 1

2. Organizing Hematoma with exuberant Granulation tissue formation.

Comments:

1. Excision of the mass appears complete. Local recurrence is NOT anticipated. The narrowest surgical margin is the deep margin, where there is approximately 5 mm of tissue free of neoplasia, based on microscopic sections examined. There is low potential for regional/systemic metastatic spread.

Metastasis, when it occurs, is typically regional to the lymph nodes and less commonly to lungs and other body systems.

---

Day before stitch removal, while waiting at the vets office she was schmoozed upon by a couple of state troopers, and Kerri (momof sweetpotatoes) and Maria(RooRoo):

day_before_stitch_removal_001.jpg

Five weeks post surgery:

5_weeks.jpg

It never reoccurred in that area. She did develop a similar form of cancer on her elbow.

But she was with us until February 29, 2008. She was 14 years and almost 4 months.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

You asked for it. Here is Argos after his most serious injury, 2 years ago. He collided with another dog at the park and tried to jump over her but didn't quite make it. We still don't know what tore his skin open but his belly was ripped open from the base of his rib cage to the base of his equipment. He is very happy that his manhood stayed intact.

Here he is the day after surgery #1:

April-May2006054.jpg

Close up:

April-May2006055.jpg

In the weeks after.

April-May2006115.jpg

April-May2006073.jpg

April-May2006216.jpg

And after about a month, nearly 100% healed (the lovely lady is Liv, who was visiting us that week. She unfortunately died just a couple months ago):

April-May2006201.jpg

Edited by CMoon75
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest jerrybird

You know just reading these posts (and seeing the pics) makes one realize that it is not money that heals these dogs. It sure helps, but it's love that seals the deal!

You know just reading these posts (and seeing the pics) makes one realize that it is not money that heals these dogs. It sure helps, but it's love that seals the deal!

I TOTALLY agree. Great point! We do love our babies, don't we?

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

All such beautiful greys - so wonderful that they came thru those awful injuries and healed so well. Must be all that good love & care they are getting from their families.

Tito - wow, what a difference between the earlier photo to the happy contented dog in that last photo. He has a remarkable story in his journey to find a loving home to call his own.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

What a wonderful thread. I am loving reading these stories.... there aren't enough happy endings!

Belly rubs to all the beautiful hounds. :kiss2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest grapecat

I posted about Humphrey when this happened, and everyone's responses really helped me through! Humph broke his front leg last summer - he was running and wiped out - still not sure exactly how he managed it, although he is a clumsy boy. There wasn't enough bone over the joint for a cast so our vet used an external fixator. I thought I was going to pass out the first time I saw it but we all got used to it really fast.

Here's Humph in the week after his first surgery:

n556257497_1223041_9455.jpg

n556257497_1223042_285.jpg

Now he is fully recovered - he regained 90% mobility/flexibility, and you would never know it happened!

n556257497_1223039_8220.jpg

One thing several greytalkers told me which helped a lot and I found to be so very very true, is this - while no one ever ever wants things like this to happen, there is a silver lining of the potential to really bond with your dog. His training accelerated, as we struggled to find things to keep him amused and off his feet, and we all learned that we could trust each other - we had to!

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I don't have a before picture, because you can't see what his ailment was, other than distressed breathing which is not a camera moment.

Battle has laryngeal paralysis and had a near total collapse of his vocal cords on June 21st. He's nearly 12.

July 21st he had surgery.

Here he at night, the day of his surgery. He can BREATHE!!!!!

BAT2.JPG

A couple of days later

batty1.jpg

almost a week later ( I didn't notice the drool on the floor, until now :lol: )

battymaroon01.jpg

As of 5 minutes ago. :)

battymaroon2.jpg

I have to thank the swift hands of Battle's surgeon, Dr. Sweet, and his staff. I have to thank the folks who responded on GT and on the LP yahoo group. Without their support and knowledge, I wouldn't have been comfortable making the decision for Battle's op.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest Winterwish

Battle you look so beautiful,beautiful as ever and then some! :wub::wub::dogcookie

Wow,these stories,and pictures,oh gosh! I'm so glad they're all doing well now! :):heart

ahicks it's so good to see Tito and Minerva together like that!

• 1 month later...