Need Advice And Owwww!

Guest charmsmom

Guest charmsmom

Somehow, Diamond tore an inch-square hole in her leg last night without making a peep. I took her to the e-vet and turns out something had pierced her skin and gone a good length of her leg without tearing a further hole, so her hock down is bruised. They stitched her up, put a drain in, and gave her 750 mg of Cephalexin for 7 days.

Not a great pic, but you can see it...

0811080807a.jpg

The people at the e-vet were all really nice, and it was only $227 (OUCH). But the people were all really great and LOVED her and told me how great a patient she was. They were very wary of sedating her at her age, so I suggested a local and the vet agreed to try that and it WORKED.

So, now comes the advice part.... The Cephalexin is upsetting her tummy, and I was wondering if it's okay to give her Famotidine to fix it. It's obviously NOT an option to let her not eat at 11. Poor girl had a tough night and she's tired, so I need to get some food in her.

Yep. I give 10mg famotidine (pepcid), wait 30-40 minutes, feed, then give the antibiotic.

If the antibiotic is dosed 3x per day, I skimp on the two regular meals and just give a largish snack for the 3rd pill.

If the antibiotic *still* upsets her tummy, call the vet and ask for a different one.

Hope she heals quickly and well! You never know what these kids'll get into, eh?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest charmsmom
Try crushing the pill with her food. I give Luckys meds mixed with food and it appears to help with the tummy.

I normally would do that, but last night, I noticed the hole when she was eating, and we spent 2.5 hours at the vet, so her tummy was empty. I will be giving her the AB with her food from here on, since it's only twice a day.

Batmom....somehow I KNEW I could count on you. :)

Oh poor baby girl. Kiss her for me. On a side note...The Flashman could NOT take that antibiotic. I hope you can get some food in and that she can keep it down. Feel better real soon sweetie girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

That antibiotic always upsets Misty's stomach. You already have the best advice, I just want to ask you to give that beautiful girl a hug from us.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh, poor Diamond :sad1

Sending lots of tummy rubs and scritches her way, and also this :cookie might help :D

I hope your girl heals soon. :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest MAXNAV

My poor collie could never take any meds (except thyroid) without food, or he'd get sick. The poor thing.

It amazes me how they can cut themselves pretty bad, and never even whimper. If Navigator bumps himself on the wall or steps on a soft squishy toy, and you'd think he broke his leg!!

I hope she's doing better today.

Guest whatahound

Oh no, poor little girl. Hope she heals quickly. It was nice seeing you yesterday. All the hounds were zonked out last night. They love going to GH camp.

For Diamond.... :inlove:cookie:kiss2:grouphug:dogcookie:heart:getwell

Guest GiJenn51

Ask if you can give something else.Cephalaxin isn't the only antibiotic available that treats those deep wounds. You might want to try either Baytril, or clavamox.

Guest Winterwish

Sending get well and healing wishes out to Diamond! :dogcookie:dogcookie

I hope the pepcid helps. Just mentioning that it could also be the whole thing that has Diamond's stomach upset,and hoping that as she settles and sleeps a bit that'll help her too.

Reason I say that is that the side effect of stomach upset due to an antibiotic would usually come as the doses increase,say after 4 or more doses. Hopefully the pepcid will prevent further stomach upset while she's on the antibiotics either way,and giving it as Batmom said,30 minutes before the meal and med.

It's always best to call the vet too for a quick check . ;)

Guest charmsmom

Well, I had some 20 mg Famotidine (24 hour dose) on hand, so I gave her one of those before I left. When I came back, I gave her a full meal and she ate ALL of it. I hid her pills in PB. :) I called her vet this morning to schedule a drain removal and they said it was fine to give her the 20 mg dose.

As for another AB, I've had other pets on Clavamox and they couldn't keep ANYTHING down, so I stay away from that one. As long as the Pepcid keeps working, I'll stick with the Ceph. I've never used the Baytril, but if her tummy gets more upset, I'll ask about that. Thanks, Jenn!

You guys are so awesome... Donna, Kerry, Claudia, and everyone else, thanks for the well-wishes and biskies. I know she can feel the healing power of GTers! She's sleeping comfortably now...but I know she'll be happier when she gets the drain and stitches out.

Guest BigPercyInMa

Oh no, poor Diamond :eek:( Hopefully she'll be able to take her meds without a problem so they can make her feel better.

Any clues on what could have done this?

Guest charmsmom

None whatsoever. I came home at 5 and she seemed fine, although I didn't look her over. I fed her at 7 and she had a hole!! :yikes DH said he never heard anything out of her. I almost didn't take her because aside from the skin, it didn't look that bad. Even the vet tech said it wasn't that bad...but then they got in there and she'd had the long stake under her skin. Who knows what happened or how... :( She's doing okay, though. I just hope she keeps eating and keeps her strength up.

I am sorry I have no advise.

But I wanted to send lots of :bighug:bighug:dogcookie and hope she heals very quickly.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greytexplorer

Getting close to the 24 hour mark since the accident. How is the little gyrlie doing?

xoxoxo and :dogcookie :dogcookie :dogcookie for pretty Diamond

Hugs and adult beverages to everyone else,

~Pat

eta>cawnt speel

Edited by greytexplorer

Guest charmsmom

Well, she's doing okay, but is now stuck with her muzzle on. She tried to pull her drain out and popped the suture holding it in, although it's staying on its own for now. AND she just finished zoomies in the yard... <_< We have an appointment on Wednesday to get the drain taken out. So far, there's no sign of infection, and it looks healthy though bruised. No fluid around it or anything, so far so good!!

So, keep praying and sending good thoughts (and BISKIES!) as they are obviously working!! :) I'm actually VERY thankful because it came within an inch of the major artery on the hind leg! If the object had gone down, instead of UP, it could have been so much worse!!! I'm so happy it didn't.

I'll update again on Wednesday after the drain comes out.

Guest charmsmom

Get this...she wouldn't eat most of her dinner...just the PB and the meds...BUT SHE ATE THE BURPDOGS I GAVE HER AFTERWARD!! :lol :lol

Silly girl!!