One Problem With Asia

I decided that I could sleep in my bed last night, she is fine and I went upstairs to set up the camera so I could keep and eye on her. I then brushed my teeth and I heard something......she went up the stairs and went on the bed! :eek Jeebus now what? How am I going to get her down again? She looked so happy and believe me if I attemped to get her down I would have heard it. so I said I would wait until the morning and deal with it then. Remember Bob is house sitting. So morning comes and it is potty time. I try to pick her up carefully and OH THE DRAMA :crazy !! I tried a few times, she can't go down by herself that is for sure. It is very difficult to lift her and not interfere with the incision. I go up to my neighbor Chet and get him, it is 6:30. he takes the back end I take a small blanket and wrap it a certain way where it really only supports the good leg (can't describe it) and it WORKS she lets us pick her up without a peep, has even a happy face and down we go! I have gates but I really didn't think she would do that. I have the permanent gate now closed and a removeable at the bottom. She is amazing.

I think she can start her chemo sooner since she is feeling so good.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

the turkey is me, NEVER under estimate the greyhound especailly princesses!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Oh my goodness. Glad to hear that you were able to safely get her back down the stairs. What a character!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Do you have an ottoman or something she can use as a step stool? (Good girl, Asia!) I don't know about the mechanics of doing even that with a step stool though and one front leg though!

You'd better learn how to do that blanket wrap pretty quickly. :lol:

Marcia in SC

Guest HeatherDemps
Can they ever go down? I just don't think this could be possible.

I still don't let mine go down stairs with one front leg and it's been almost 7 months since the surgery. He can get up them fine and I'll let him do 2-4 or so steps going down, but that is it. It's just too scarey and out of control when he goes down a larger flight of steps- there were a couple of minor crashes at the bottom and then when he did deck steps, he skipped 2-3 steps at a time going down. My heart can't take it. :)

NEVER...I repeat NEVER underestimate the power of Asia! :lol:lol:lol She is one determined little girl...and that is SO good! Take it easy just for awhile sweetheart. :wub::grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I still don't let mine go down stairs with one front leg and it's been almost 7 months since the surgery. He can get up them fine and I'll let him do 2-4 or so steps going down, but that is it. It's just too scarey and out of control when he goes down a larger flight of steps- there were a couple of minor crashes at the bottom and then when he did deck steps, he skipped 2-3 steps at a time going down. My heart can't take it. :)

I can't risk it either and I don't think it can be done without incidence. When she is pain free and I can pick her up (if she will let me) i will allow her upstairs. She hates to be helped.

And I always thought she was a BIG baby, she is just too smart

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Yes. Morgan did for the first 8 months after his amputation. Going up was definitely easier, but he would go down too. As it started to get more out of control, I stopped allowing him to do it. We started carrying him. Shortly after that, he decided he wouldn't go up stairs any more either. His majesty gets carried both ways.

She is Amazing that little girl, she has the best spirits I think she is going to be just fine mommy!!!!!! :colgate:colgate:wub::wub::wub:

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

The will of this girl is amazing, all greys, "never underestimate" is an understatement!!!!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest Vinnie

:rofl :rofl Sorry, don't mean to laugh, but that was the way Vinnie was too - you learn to gate or x-pen them into the area that you want them to be in as the call of the bed is just too strong! She gave you full warning though when she tried to jump up into the SUV on the way home! :blink::lol

We carried Vinnie up and down at first but within a few days he wanted nothing to do with that and he would go up the stairs by himself - we would stop him from jumping into the van and onto the couch or bed though - and we would lift him up for that so he would not try to jump up or down by himself. And he was pretty good going down the stairs as well - we kept the leash on him and steadied him with the leash and if needed our arm across the front of his chest - this kept him from trying to go down too fast.

Sorry you had to go through the drama this morning - but didn't it feel good to see her in the bed last night and smiling as you carried her down the stairs this morning? Warning - they find ways to do and get to what they want when you least expect it. Hugs to you and scritches to your very precious princess.

Guest valtoy

My Ham stopped going upstairs to the bedroom last year - don't know why. He never learned to "walk upstairs" has to run and outside, he always jumped the 3 steps to the back door. Now, with 3 legs, I built him a ramp to the back door and figure he won't want to go upstairs in the house anymore, but during thunderstorms when he goes "spacey" he was running up the stairs even with a sore leg, so I block off the stairs during storms so he doesnt try it with 3 legs!

Valerie

http://home.att.net/~valtoy/Ham.html

My Darius never learned to take stairs one step at a time, he bounded in 3 leaps to get up. Asia takes them one step at time I think it is so cute watching her go up the stairs, that was when she had 4 legs.

Ham is a very handsome man!

Asia, sweet girl, be gentle with your Mom's heart. You're tough, but try not to scare her. I do think the front amps make it more difficult going down stairs. I think there were several people on CoG who's Greys with front amps did stairs, though. I think Asia could do it if she makes up her mind that she wants to!

But that was GOOD news---scary, but good.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown