New Member From Pa...

Guest dolfan
Yeah I'm definitely going to let Keystone do the matching, and Mac be my barometer. Whoever fits in our household will be the one:)

I wondered how often the website was updated and how many adoptions they had in between that time. Are any adopters ever wait listed for no available dogs? Or are there more available than what is listed on the website?

There are always it seems more Greys than adopters, I think there are like between 14 and 17 Greyhound racing tracks in the USA and ofcourse however many farms, so there is always Greys being retired that come up for adoption and then ofcourse the Greys on the farms that just do not become racers are always out there looking for homes also..so I think the Greys way out number us adopters...thats why its good to do Meet & Greets and Struts and just whatever we can do to get the message out about the Greys and let the public see first hand just what really nice pets they can make so we can help the Greys find thier forever homes...hoping not to sound to silly with all that, but the public I think has a different outlook on Greys or most of the public does, I think most think these dogs are high energy atheletes so they shy away from adopting them because they think they need to be walked all the time or they will have to take them somewhere to run all the time(which would be fun for the dogs) which really is not true, the dogs may like that, BUT they really do like the couch potatoe roll and retirement more I think, I mean I have taken Beauty(our Grey) for a off leash run or 2 and let me tell you, these Greys may be the most fit dogs you'll see body wise, BUT the races they run last like 30 secs - 31 secs and then they are done and put back, well it shows on the off leash runs, Beauty or any of our local Keystone Greys when let run, they do thier run, 30 secs or so, and then they are looking for a cool shady spot to rest it off,, they are done, they need a nap...its toooo funny, My 6 year old lap has more endurance, he's not as fast mind you, but he can raise hell all day it seems...anyhow the public has a misconception on the Greys thinking the dog is gonna be WAY to energetic for me so they shy away from adopting, I'm sure there are other issues as well in the thinking, but to host Meet & Greets and things of that nature we can help change their thoughts on the Greys and maybe get more of the Greys into homes...I can't remember off hand how many rescue groups their are, so their are a lot of groups like ours doing the same thing we are, finding Greys their forever homes, so being I have rambled on and on, to answer your question, I don't know about a waiting list, if you are on one, you or anyone else, should not be waiting long, cause there is always a Grey out there for everyone, I would think... B)

Bob

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyChester

I'm on the Board of Keystone, so I thought I'd chime in, although I do not purport to speak for Dianne (our president/adoption coordinator). We have a lot of applications right now and also a lot of dogs. Matching them up is tricky! On Tuesday we have 10 new dogs coming from Florida, with more scheduled over the next month. There is never a lack of dogs, it is a matter of whether the right dog for you is among the dogs we have right now. If not, we speak with trainers, kennel owners and all of our dog sources to find the right dog for the situation. The good news is that we have a number of adopters, including 2 Board members who also foster, with weiner dogs :-) That will help a bit in checking how the dog is with dachshunds. The woman who updates the website is doing some traveling right now so it will not be updated as frequently.

Edited by LadyChester

Thank you LadyChester for your input...I guess i just wondered if there was an abundance of dogs versus applications. At least within keystone:) I'm glad you guys and gals really take the time out to make sure we are all the right fit. I do have a whole month and a half before my contract ends - I will wait as long as possible for the right match though.

I'm glad though there's a lot of applicants though! Great news for the dogs!! :-)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest Keystone
It doesn't say anything near her picture...

It is impossible to keep the web site up to date with as fast as the hounds are adopted! Keystone Gin will be adopted to an older couple down here near Harrisburg. They have another Keystone hound and want to add to their pack. Of course, we always take the dogs with the "Keystone" prefix!

Welcome.

We have 4 hounds and ours have various quirks that we just deal with. Sometimes if they are disinterested in something they can appear aloof but in the sanction of their own home where they are the most comfortable, they don't have a aloof hair on their body.

They are loving, dedicated, sweet and for the most part docile pups.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project