New Member From Pa...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dolfan
Are you sure that Keystone Gin is spoken for?? I thought her photo and profile were on the available list this weekend out on City Island at the National Guard picnic Meet & Greet... Little brindle girl, right? A senior coming from out west somewhere??

This is the Girl I am talking about from KeystoneGreys.org site...

This is what it says about her on the website..

Keystone Gin is a 6 year(not a senior) old brindle female. She love to play with toys and is cat tolerant.

Is this the same Grey?

keystonegin.jpg

Bob

Edited by dolfan

Guest dolfan
That's who I am talking about. What a beauty!

Im trying to see where I saw she was adopted already...don't seem to see it now, But I thought it said she would be adopted out in Wellsboro pa..

Bob

Hello...so many responses...so great to meet everyone.

Dolfan..yes i met Krista there a couple times, but haven't seen her too much since then. She has a beautiful brindle guy that is a prince. But yea, she was the one who really opened up that avenue for me. I really needed to meet the breed in person to understand how wonderful they are. I work second so its kinda hard to get on the parkway before it gets too dark. I want to start going out again though now that the weather has cooled down, I want to enjoy this great seasonable weather before winter gets here!!

She told me where she runs her greyhound, which i never would have thought of!! The local ballpark (until i joined this panel however). She walks him around i guess, makes sure all the gates are locked, then lets him go.

I saw Keystone Gin on their page...i thought it said upcoming greyhounds for adoption?? I didn't realize they were already destined for homes...

Well, thats all for now, I'm getting sleepy...thanks to everyone again!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Are you sure that Keystone Gin is spoken for?? I thought her photo and profile were on the available list this weekend out on City Island at the National Guard picnic Meet & Greet... Little brindle girl, right? A senior coming from out west somewhere??

Keystone Gin is a 6 year(not a senior) old brindle female. She love to play with toys and is cat tolerant.

Is this the same Grey?

keystonegin.jpg

Bob

That's the face!! See, now it's me who is confused - she is available but she is not a senior. Of course, by now she may have a home... it's been two days and things can change in that much time.

Sorry forgot to reply to greyhoundpoet...Keystone greyhounds has pictures of their hounds and such on their page as you probably know, but they say don't get attached to one particular picture b/c they like to make the right placements. That's fine with me, as I think Mac (dachshund) will be a very good barometer of who will fit in the best (of course). That's my priority, making him happy. If he's happy, I'm happy.

I had wondered during my research if adopting another dog was what Mac wanted as well as myself, b/c i thought it would take away from Mac, but I had the chance to have him around a group of dogs, and really see him interact besides the occasional butt sniff (those silly dogs), and he really thrived. Maybe its the pack mentality? Dogs and animals in general, each and every one are so unique. Just thinking about all of their intricacies and what they are all about. It was funny, the other day, my dad's old lab Ebby, was laying on the dock, her head in between her paws- her head hung over the dock and she just sat there staring at the water. She does like to watch for fish, but she was so peaceful...it was almost like she could stay there all night and just stare at the water. Like daydreaming.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

Guest dolfan

Is this the same Grey?

keystonegin.jpg

Bob

That's the face!! See, now it's me who is confused - she is available but she is not a senior. Of course, by now she may have a home... it's been two days and things can change in that much time.

This is not a argument I hope you know, just saying KeystoneGin has been spoken for and here is the link to where I was asking why some dogs are gone before they get here and we see a photo of them but they are already spoken for....I was gonna foster 1 of 2 greys coming up in the next haul, KeystoneGin was one of those Greys, I was told she was going to Wellsboro...I too thought she was gourgeous and was thinking she might fit in at our house also..but she was spoken for before anyone(us web viewers) even knew she was available...anyhow read what Dianne has to say about how dogs are adopted out by profiling them from the farm/track..

Bob

Adoption talk

Well since you asked, i guess ill have to post some pics now...this first is my favorite, it was a total accident..i was messing with my camera phone and:

manofthehour.jpg

And here's another cute one:

Thelittlecopilotthatcould.jpg

And this is my dad's dog, ebby, my dad's friend's dog, coco, and of course mac...this is a cute picture also:):

thegathering.jpg

Edited by TgrrValily

Hello from england :wave Mac is sooo cute :wub:

You certainly have found the right place to learn more about greys, GT is a wealth of information and experience. Just remember when reading health & training boards that not every dog will have those problems, I've noticed this can sometimes worry potential adopters.

I think greys sometimes get referred to as aloof because they tend not to demand your attention as much as most pet dogs seem to. Both of my dogs loved to be fussed but only Throp tends to come over to you to ask for fuss whereas Hector will occasionally rub his head on you or stand to let you stroke him but not in as direct way as Throp. I love their laidback, somewhat independent nature and find them quite calming, but also entertaining especially when they are having their mad 5 mins playtime :lol

Our boys came straight from a racing kennel so probably more work than a fostered dog, but the initial hardwork was soon rewarded. I've never had a puppy to compare, but would imagine a greyhound is much easier to housetrain and requires less full-time attention. I don't feel most greyhounds come with issues, in fact its quite remarkable how easily they manage to adapt into a whole new environment. Most greys have been well cared for and handled, so many things are a doddle. In our training class recently we had to show we could groom and check our dogs over (eyes, mouth, paws, belly & tail) many people struggled with these things and our dogs just stood patiently while we went through the motions as they have always done :D

I'd of thought the guinea pigs would be much easier to keep out of harms way than some other pets, although people do have hounds that happily co-exist with cats/rabits/birds etc, so i doubt an adoption centre would turn down your application on that basis. I guess if you have you application in now and they do all the checks, but your work turns out that you can't adopt for a few months later, then i'd of thought its still beneficial to the group as you will be all ready to adopt when the time comes.

Anyway good luck with adopting, i'm sure you won't regret finding a new friend for you & Mac!

Edited by moofie

Thank you for all your replies once again. I don't want to let a greyhound down by not knowing everything i should know. Even when i got the guinea pigs, i did a lot of research. I know different common ailments, preventatives, and I even cut their nails (but im no good at cutting Mac's nails- i am so afraid to go any shorter b/c its harder to see the quick). I'm not an expert, and I probably could do some things better, but I try. And i learn along the way:)

Puppies are soooo adorable..but not for me. I had to potty train Mac when I adopted him, and he was a year and a half. Actually it became more like training me...I just had to do a better job of getting him outside. I was used to my other family dogs letting me know when they had to go out. Not Mac...but he actually does tell me now when he wants to go out to pee (or to chase the froggies around the yard).

Hey Dolfan, i joined the greyhounds make great pets forum and i want to get into the keystone forum but can't? Is there a way i can? Also, since you seem to know quite a bit about keystone, do you think if i submitted an application considering my circumstances with the military, would they honor the application and wait to adopt? I hate to ask that, but I would like get the ball rolling- home checks and all. I have until September 29th.

Thanks again!!

Btw, when someone talks about "chipping" what is that? I keep looking on the forums to find out but can't seem to at the moment...

Btw, when someone talks about "chipping" what is that? I keep looking on the forums to find out but can't seem to at the moment...

Greyhounds are like potato chips, once you adopt one you usually adopt a 2nd, 3rd, etc. hence the term "chipping" :lol

Praying for all the missing greys!

Guest dolfan

Hey Dolfan, i joined the greyhounds make great pets forum and i want to get into the keystone forum but can't? Is there a way i can? Also, since you seem to know quite a bit about keystone, do you think if i submitted an application considering my circumstances with the military, would they honor the application and wait to adopt? I hate to ask that, but I would like get the ball rolling- home checks and all. I have until September 29th.

Thanks again!!

The Keystone forum on the greyhounds make great pets is a private forum for members only, password protected, but when you become a Keystone member they hand out the password with your membership, all those groups listed in that part are private and password protected..

As far as becoming a Keystone member I think you can become a member without adopting if you like, but also if and when your ready to adopt you become a member automactically with the adoption you make, the adoption cost includes 1 year membership to KeystoneGreys...so in respect to your adoption application, I would say turn one in and go from there with a explanation of your military situation and I think they would be MORE than glad to have you as a member and a perspective adoptie...

Bob

Ok, Thank you Dolfan!!! I am definitely going to be getting that application in this week then, with a note about my military duty situation!! Thank you!!!

Thank you Everyone!!

Guest dolfan
Ok, Thank you Dolfan!!! I am definitely going to be getting that application in this week then, with a note about my military duty situation!! Thank you!!!

Thank you Everyone!!

If you run into Krista again, she will not steer you wrong, she has taken greys seriouly, she is very influencial on greyhounds, she's done a lot of research, also Hal is the local rep for this area, he and his wife are very helpful also, if you would like his/her phone number pm me and I will send it to you..

Bob

I actually have Hal and Janet's number :) I haven't seen Krista though in a long time, mainly prob. b/c we may not walk our dogs at the same time and I haven't really done much walking on the parkway since the spring. Now the weather is cooled down so its nice to walk. I also was away this summer at various times for military duty and such.

Anyhoo, krista did seem very knowledgeable, and I hope i get to meet her again!! I sent my application and deposit in today. I don't think i missed filling anything out. I wrote a little letter also explaining my situation but my enthusiasm to adopt!!

Sorry i probably coulda just pm'ed you all this but I still don't have access to do that on greyt talk yet. Well have a wonderful day everyone!!

Guest dolfan
I actually have Hal and Janet's number :) I haven't seen Krista though in a long time, mainly prob. b/c we may not walk our dogs at the same time and I haven't really done much walking on the parkway since the spring. Now the weather is cooled down so its nice to walk. I also was away this summer at various times for military duty and such.

Anyhoo, krista did seem very knowledgeable, and I hope i get to meet her again!! I sent my application and deposit in today. I don't think i missed filling anything out. I wrote a little letter also explaining my situation but my enthusiasm to adopt!!

Sorry i probably coulda just pm'ed you all this but I still don't have access to do that on greyt talk yet. Well have a wonderful day everyone!!

Just maybe something to do at the end of the month, the Sayre Satellite of Keystonegreys is having a Meet & Greet at the Tractor Supply Company on Elmira st in Sayre Sat Aug 30th from 11:30am - 1:30pm, might be a way to meet some of the people in the local group and to see some of the grey that have been adopted out, and some good info from the group of any questions you may have and wanna ask one of the group..its kinda neat..

Bob

Guest dolfan

/Quote

JudiK

This post has been edited by JudiK: Aug 11 2008, 06:08 PM

/Quote

I actually found the post talking about KeystoneGin already being adopted out in Wellsboro pa.. heres the link

KeystoneGin

Bob

Edited by dolfan

I keep wanting to make it to the meet n greets but this summer its been like, I either had drill or was down at my dad's or I'm here or I'm there. Mac and I keep pretty busy when I'm not working. I'm see they had a meet n greet scheduled for the 30th, so I would like to make it. I may be going to my dad's though (argh). Hopefully I will get to meet you all you wonderful ppl eventually!! And I would like to help out with the group also, I think that would be fun!

Are all the dogs on the web they list adopted? (of course except the ones that say adopted, i realize) They are beautiful!! Duchess is pretty, very elegant looking.

Guest dolfan
I keep wanting to make it to the meet n greets but this summer its been like, I either had drill or was down at my dad's or I'm here or I'm there. Mac and I keep pretty busy when I'm not working. I'm see they had a meet n greet scheduled for the 30th, so I would like to make it. I may be going to my dad's though (argh). Hopefully I will get to meet you all you wonderful ppl eventually!! And I would like to help out with the group also, I think that would be fun!

Are all the dogs on the web they list adopted? (of course except the ones that say adopted, i realize) They are beautiful!! Duchess is pretty, very elegant looking.

No not all the dogs on the avalible list are already spoken for, they just don't update the website as fast or often to keep up with the adoptions going on, so sometimes a dog may still appear on the list that has been adopted out...Sunny (Ferris Beuler) looks like a pretty male, I know he is still adoptable, Best thing to do is let them choose for you, I mean depending on what kinda a dog you need for your lifestyle, like you have another dog in the house hold, so you would need another Grey that gets along with other/different breed dogs/small/big dogs/cats, or whatever the situation it may be that a persons habitat contains, there is a Grey out there to fit that enviroment, whatever it may be, its different for each adopter.....I mean we have a lab/golden mix and 2 cats, and we also have grandchildren who come to visit, so we needed a Grey that would be tolerent to all that, and they choose Beauty for us....and she has lived up to her name...so try not to target a Grey..just let it happen and I bet you would have a nice suprise of how well things play out...

Bob

Yeah I'm definitely going to let Keystone do the matching, and Mac be my barometer. Whoever fits in our household will be the one:)

I wondered how often the website was updated and how many adoptions they had in between that time. Are any adopters ever wait listed for no available dogs? Or are there more available than what is listed on the website?