New Member From Pa...

Hello!! I'm a new member from Pennsylvania, Bradford County area to be a little more exact. I am looking to adopt a greyhound from Keystone Greyhounds (I am getting ready to send the application in). I have been researching all summer about greyhounds and doing some soul searching along the way. I have a little dachshund named Mac. I will cut and paste my story from another forum where i first posted and got referred to over here...its just much simpler that way:

I met a greyhound on my nightly walk on the river, and immediately fell in love. I have a little dachie, and he took to this big greyhound as well. He seemed very sweet and gentle, and was actually the nicest dog to walk that i saw that day. I understand every dog is different though. I considered greyhound adoption before i adopted my Mac.

I contacted keystone greyhounds, a local rescue, and got some info from them, and have been googling information on them over the summer. The local girl who owned the greyhound i met, also said she would help me out, and even told where she runs her greyhound with no worries. This group does a lot of community outreach programs to promote greyhound adoption, and also seems to be willing to help all the members of their group.

Now i have had differing opinions from different ppl...about greyhounds. A previously close acquaintance(my dad's ex gf to be exact), whom i no longer speak to, said greyhounds had "too many issues" and that i would regret adopting one b/c she had worked closely with a greyhound rescue. I have to consider the fact that she had issues too, and I think someone like her could probably barely get her life straight, much less try to help a homeless hound. She was an animal lover i guess, or considered herself one. I have talked to other ppl though, who actually live with a greyhound, and they love them.

I think every dog has issues, Mac has issues, and im sure he'll have many more the older he gets, as being a living, breathing thing...im sure ill have more issues as my body ages also. I try to be a good mommy.

I also understand greyhounds are mostly aloof and quiet dogs who simply need a home. I have done my fair share of reading and researching, so I have to say I think I am pretty prepared to handle them. If not, I know Keystone will help me, and I know have you guys and gals also.

So for all you greyhound "experts" or lovers or ppl in general, what do you think of greyhound adoption. I am all for it, and i couldn't see myself adopting another breed..i have been debating this issue all summer... i would just like some different viewpoints.

Now, you don't all have to give me your viewpoints (as i have read SO many from this forum already) if you don't want...

And no dog is perfect, but i truly believe that the organization i am adopting from will make sure that they place the right dog in my home.

Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself and that I'm new and I hope to become a greyhound owner shortly!!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from Miami!

We all love our hounds. I know when you get yours you will too! I do not know anyone from Keystone but I have heard good things. I'm sure they will steer you right. And welcome to our world!

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest greyt2love

I have one who is aloof, one who is sort of aloof(but he's going to be 11 in a couple months), and three who don't come near it !! It depends on what you want, but if you want a greyhound - and how could you not !! - there's one to fit your life !! Good luck and welcome !!!

Welcome from SouthCentral PA. You are certainly hooked up with a good group - I have four greyhounds and one of them (Devon) is a Keystone hound. You will need a few more postings before you can PM, but if you want to chat offline about Keystone and hounds, click on the link at the bottom of my signature, go to my website and e-mail me.

Bradford County - that is the Sayre branch - right?

Guest BroccsMom

Welcome from Wisconsin! I've only had my houndie for 5 weeks, but already I want to chip!!! He's anything but aloof, but like you said, each dog is different! I'm sure the people at Keystone will help you be picked by the perfect hound for you! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

I have 2 hounds, one male and one female. She is more aloof, but is so playful and funny that I really don't care. She is a fun dog who just likes to be alone sometimes, too. She was on the track for a long time. When I got her she had just turned 4. She ran many, many races. My male is far from aloof! He wants to sit with you on the couch and we hold hands, believe it or not! He lays his head on my lap and loves any type of attention. I think you will be happy with a greyhound. I would suggest that you have your daschound with you so that you can be sure that they will get along. Good Luck and post when you get your hound.

OH, welcome from Ohio! :D

Sorry it's so long!

Guest sandlot13433

Welcome from New York! I adopted my first greyhound three years ago, and now have 5 living under my roof (and sometimes more :huh) When they say they are addictive, they definitely are! I spoke recently with some Keystone members when helping to search for a lost greyhound. They were extremely supportive and helpful! People from the organization who didn't even know the owner came up to help search and offered moral support. Seems like a great organization to me!

Hello! Thanks for all the welcomes and insight!! I am super excited about this whole process and kinda-somewhat nervous but I can't wait to give a greyhound a home. I like to travel when I can, and I take Mac with me. Right now I have been going to Harvey's Lake on weekends to my dad's- he has a pontoon boat we go on and he has a black lab as well. She was out last family dog before my parent's divorce.

Yes Judi, I am near the Sayre chapter- in fact they will be doing the home check, i believe. I send the application into Harrisburg and they check it over. I know i was reading somewhere that putting a vet as a reference was a good idea, but to be honest, i don't know anyone really personally to get that kind of reference. Mac goes to a clinic that has more than one DVM and he has seen different ones every time. I would think it would be a vet that know me personally, like where I live. I put my 2 best friends on there, they have seen the inside of my house and have known me for ages. They've seen my housekeeping, they've been around Mac, and they know my personality. I do have a veterinarian, and i prob could get the vet that last seen Mac to give me a reference, but we're simply acquaintances not buddies.

The only thing that may hurt me though, (and honestly i hadn't really thought about it too much until tonight- although i did list it on my application) is the fact that I have 2 guinea pigs I have had for 4 years and I couldn't possibly give up. I know they are prey driven, but the GP's stay in another part of my home (i have a 3 floor townhouse- finished basement + unfinished basement -living room-and upstairs. The living room and basement are separated by a door and the unfinished part (it only has remnant carpeting but is insulated and prob just needs dry wall but it has the sump pump hole and has a child proofed (and sometimes me proof also haha) door knob b/c of the presence of the sump pump hole)..it also has my washer dryer and closet space, shelving etc. The guinea pigs stay in there, as i have to keep them away from Mac also, who can be a little monster at times (but a cute little monster). I am hoping though, seeing the precautions i already have in place b/c of Mac, they will know that I am serious about adoption.

Another little blip might have also popped into my plans as tonight after i posted in this forum (my first post), I called a girl who is in my Army Reserve unit. I'm on my last month and a half, and will be getting out September 29th. The UA (unit admin) said he is sending my ETS packet to get done, and everything seemed to be falling into place. There was a unit deployment scheduled for this year but I declined b/c I am getting out, and they understood this and had put together a list which had a couple ppl who didn't volunteer and then a few who did from my unit. Now the whole list pretty much is coming from our unit and ppl who weren't supposed to be on it, are. I'm not on it, but its making me wonder, being so close to ETS, what might happen. Granted, I think the whole greyhound adoption approval process will prob. take awhile, I will now have to at least put a note in with my packet that explains my circumstances. I want to get it in, though, and have it with them so I can start the ball rolling. If something happens, I can at least be on the list and ready to go when i come back to adopt. I have been waiting all summer to do this, though just b/c of that, and just last week, my UA had said he was processing my paperwork to get out.

I did consider adopting a greyhound last year when i first moved in my house, but I found Mac, and I was trying to get settled in. I had looked at different dogs in different shelters, trying to figure out who would make a great companion. I did email a rescue somewhere in pa at that time and asked about the application process. After meeting the greyhound at the parkway though, I think that really sealed the deal, plus researching all summer was a good idea and obviously i wanted to wait until i was being close to out to submit the paperwork.

Well sorry this is so long, but i have so much to say!!!

Also, for anyone out there- how long did your application to adoption process take and what did it involve for you? And also do you get to meet the dog before adopting? Thanks!!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

Guest LadyChester

Welcome to GT! I, too, am a Keystone adopter. It is a greyt group! Once your application is received, someone will give you a call and set-up a meeting. It shouldn't take long at all. It sounds like you've done your homework and have thought this out thoroughly. The guinea pigs will not be a problem at all, and no one in adoption would ever want you to part with one pet to get another. We had guinea pigs for years and, in addition to my own dogs, have had a lot of foster dogs as well. You just need to be careful. Most of ours have not been very interested but we did have one foster who would have liked to get much better acquainted with the piggies :-)

Keep us posted ... Keystone will help you find the perfect hound for your home :P

Guest TBSFlame

If greyhounds are aloof I wish someone would tell Memmie that. :) I have 4 and one is a bit aloof until she wants attention and love. The other are anything but aloof. Each hound is different. The app you fill out will ask lots of questions so the group and point out hounds that will fit in with you and yours. Congratulations you will never be sorry. Welcome from NC.

A previously close acquaintance(my dad's ex gf to be exact), whom i no longer speak to, said greyhounds had "too many issues" and that i would regret adopting one b/c she had worked closely with a greyhound rescue.

I also understand greyhounds are mostly aloof and quiet dogs who simply need a home.

I would wager to say that she didn't work too closely with a greyhound rescue or care about them to say they have too many issues and not to adopt. If she'd ever met a hound and had a heart she would encourage adoption. I knew a lady who said things like that. When it came down to it....she had been rejected for adopting a hound and resented it. Her "working closely" was her trying to adopt.

I would also like to meet the grey who is aloof and simply needs a home...they may be more aloof than, say, a lab or boxer or more commonly kept dog, but they will be more loving and commited in their own way. I know I wouldn't have greys if they just simply needed homes. They just want families and love. They steal your heart and run full speed ahead with it and before you know it you're the one who simply needs to live with them for life to be complete.

We have 2 greys, we've adopted a Galgo that is flying over from Spain this fall, and we'll be fostering soon. No regrets. Ever.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

The only thing that may hurt me though, (and honestly i hadn't really thought about it too much until tonight- although i did list it on my application) is the fact that I have 2 guinea pigs I have had for 4 years and I couldn't possibly give up. I know they are prey driven, but the GP's stay in another part of my home (i have a 3 floor townhouse- finished basement + unfinished basement -living room-and upstairs

Also, for anyone out there- how long did your application to adoption process take and what did it involve for you? And also do you get to meet the dog before adopting? Thanks!!

GPs may or may not be an issue. I have 2 parrots and the dogs don't ever bother them. We even had a passing rescue bunny and the boys were good. Lucius is super high prey drive boy but he's learned if it's in the house, or in a cage, it needs to be left alone. However, in a store or outside it's fair game.

Application and adoption process can take 1 week or more...but not many weeks or months. Most of the time it won't be more than 2 weeks...they need to make room for more dogs after all. They usually involve vet references, personal references, home visits and commitment. Usually the dog is brought to the home visit. However, Lucius I adopted without ever meeting him....basically got him right off the track...Timmy I met and we fell in love. Our Galgo was the same process and we haven't met him yet....he's in Spain right now.

Sometimes I can't always get out what i want to say right i guess. I try but i guess i mangled it. Sorry! Here it goes, and maybe this time I can get it right.

I have been researching and contacting people and even met a greyhound. Its something that really actually interested me since last year, but I wasn't ready yet.

As far as my dad's ex, i bet we could probably be talking about the same person, Greythoundpoet, but i didn't know her that well and I knew her for a short time. She claimed to work with rescues and humane societies, and the like but honestly, she also claimed she was French royalty (the relationship didn't last long from there)...I'm not going to decode what her motives were, but I'm sure one of them was crazy. Its a non factor, shouldn't have even mentioned it. I was trying tell the story of my journey to this place in my life, that's all. I would be disappointed in myself though, if i just jumped into something without taking into consideration every piece of information i learned daily about the greyhound, true or not- and then find out for myself if its wrong or right. As far as issues, i think she was the one with those.

As far as saying greyhounds are aloof...i've had other people, say their aloof and others say their not. I am also part of another animal forum (and i won't mention the name b/c i don't want to be breaking any rules). I started a topic about adoption so I could get some more viewpoints on adoption, and this is before I knew about this forum. Someone from this forum adopted a greyhound and it didn't turn out the way they wanted it to and then someone else kinda picked apart everything about the experience they might have not realized. I guess what i mean is, if they are aloof, that's fine, if not, that's fine too. But i do understand...every dog has a different personality. Sorry for making a generalization.

Greyhounds do need homes. Great homes. Better than simply needing a home, you are right. I am willing to offer a great home, where they will be loved and be a part of the family. No regrets. Once I do this, this is forever. I am fully aware of this.

I'm glad everyone is a true ambassador of the breed on here, and thanks once again.

I hope I clarified what I am doing here. I am going to try to be a little more clear in the future, but its hard when you're so darn excited :D

Hi and Welcome

I live in Columbia county, PA

I am owned by two doxies and several Greyhounds

I belong to Keystones and foster for them quite often.

this is a great board with great people!

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

Guest Redpack

Welcome! And a couple of things.....I have never met an aloof greyhound. No dog is perfect is an incorrect statment....mine is! :) Perfect for us anyway! And as to the guinea pigs....I had a rabbit when we first adopted Emissary. He was fine with her and could actually be trusted in the same room with her, but she was old and didn't run. Diplomat, however, came to attention whenever she was in the vicinity. This spring, a rabbit actually ran through the yard and they both watched it. Prey drive, like anything else varies. Just make sure you tell your group and they will help you find the right dog for you!

South Western PA here in Allegheny County - Welcome - I am now owned by 7 of the most fantastic animals anywhere including Her Majesty Queen Softee of Greytalk. My kids range of 4 to 15 years of age (5 gals and 2 boys).

Beryl & Dave

Queen Softee, Jams, Koolaid, Hershey, Belle, Penske and EZ

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Sometimes I can't always get out what i want to say right i guess. I try but i guess i mangled it. Sorry! Here it goes, and maybe this time I can get it right.

I have been researching and contacting people and even met a greyhound. Its something that really actually interested me since last year, but I wasn't ready yet.

As far as my dad's ex, i bet we could probably be talking about the same person, Greythoundpoet, but i didn't know her that well and I knew her for a short time. She claimed to work with rescues and humane societies, and the like but honestly, she also claimed she was French royalty (the relationship didn't last long from there)...I'm not going to decode what her motives were, but I'm sure one of them was crazy. Its a non factor, shouldn't have even mentioned it. I was trying tell the story of my journey to this place in my life, that's all. I would be disappointed in myself though, if i just jumped into something without taking into consideration every piece of information i learned daily about the greyhound, true or not- and then find out for myself if its wrong or right. As far as issues, i think she was the one with those.

As far as saying greyhounds are aloof...i've had other people, say their aloof and others say their not. I am also part of another animal forum (and i won't mention the name b/c i don't want to be breaking any rules). I started a topic about adoption so I could get some more viewpoints on adoption, and this is before I knew about this forum. Someone from this forum adopted a greyhound and it didn't turn out the way they wanted it to and then someone else kinda picked apart everything about the experience they might have not realized. I guess what i mean is, if they are aloof, that's fine, if not, that's fine too. But i do understand...every dog has a different personality. Sorry for making a generalization.

Greyhounds do need homes. Great homes. Better than simply needing a home, you are right. I am willing to offer a great home, where they will be loved and be a part of the family. No regrets. Once I do this, this is forever. I am fully aware of this.

I'm glad everyone is a true ambassador of the breed on here, and thanks once again.

I hope I clarified what I am doing here. I am going to try to be a little more clear in the future, but its hard when you're so darn excited :D

Wow...French royalty. :) She sounds like a chore. It's no big deal. I would just hate for somebody like that to affect a decision to rehome a wonderful grey.

It's ok, I wasn't saying anything that you said was bad. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think all were like that. :) Greys are not for everybody and I have met a few people myself who adopted and then returned b/c they wanted a dog that a grey just can't be. I'm glad you are doing your research and taking to people. I know a lady who returned one recently because he wouldn't play fetch, run hours a day with her kid, and cuddle on the couch with her. I'm thinking she was looking for a lab or something. Now...if somebody would just tell my beloved fiance' that no matter how many times he throws the ball my boys are not going to get it....lol....

Excitement is understandable! Have you looked at only the one group or have you shopped around? I've heard good things about them.

I actually drill in Bloomsburg, TammyStroops, which I believe is located in Columbia Cty. Its a small hike from where I'm at, but thankfully I have a month left.

Lots of Pa people on here!! Nice to meet everyone!!

Greyhoundspoet, I did email another rescue in Pa, and looked at another's website but they had a radius to who they adopted out to, (I believe it was 50-100 miles and I think exceeded it or was close to it), so I had ruled that out. I didn't really know about the existence of keystone until I talked to a local girl who had adopted from them, and I googled it. The other 2 I had found through the other forum I'm a member of. It was very convenient to find a rescue that close by, or at least the satellite location was nearby!!

Well, thanks again for the all input everyone!!

I got lucky and have 3 within my radius....but have to admit that I got both my boys from one....the one I work with. :) My galgo, however, we're getting out of Denver as there are not a lot of galgo rescues in the states.

Are you looking at a particular dog or are you going to let them match you? My first I saw a picture of and immedietly wanted him. He was just coming off the track. My second picked me at meet and greets. He's a timid, spooky boy with everyone but me. He buddied up to me and felt at ease and happy...and hasn't left my lap or side since!

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Guest dolfan

MY husband and I are also with Keystone Greyhounds. With the Sayre Satallite group. We adopted our Miss Beauty March 29.

She was fostered by Tammystroops. Beauty is an absolute love and a dream come true for me. We have cats and another dog. Beauty fits in perfectly with our gang. They did a wonderful job of finding us the right hound. There is truly a big support group for any of your needs in our area. The dog on the river didn't happen to be Jacoby and Krista by any chance. They are good people and very informative on greys. We welcome you also.

Susan & Robert

:colgate

I have adopted out of Going Home Greyhounds currently Queen Softee, Jams and Koolaid (Bridge Angels Shadow and Phawn), Penske out of Gold Coast and EZ out of Fast Friends, Belle was a private adoption, Hershey a Greyhound Reach the Beach Rescue and Penny another Bridge Angel a Greytalk Rescue.

Here in the Pittsburgh area we have 2 groups Going Home Greyhouds and Steel City

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest dolfan
Hello Keystone Gin...if you weren't female I would petition to take you home. (My female Dal will not allow females in the house but her)

I see you saw a pic of KeystoneGin...I thought the same thing..I thought good thing your already spoken for or I would had to try real hard not to bring her to my house... :P

Bob

Are you sure that Keystone Gin is spoken for?? I thought her photo and profile were on the available list this weekend out on City Island at the National Guard picnic Meet & Greet... Little brindle girl, right? A senior coming from out west somewhere??

Edited by JudiK