The Wrong Dog Got The Pills!

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

I am such a dunce--I was passing out pills wrapped in cheese and got my dogs mixed up. Spinner and Wizard have similar coloring at a glance. I ended up giving the cheese with Wizard's heart meds to Spinner--had to induce vomiting and did find the pills. Poor little Spinner! And thank goodness for peroxide. I urge everyone to have it and an oral syringe on hand.

Now I'll go beat myself up over a dumb and potentially very dangerous mistake...

Guest Greytluv

I did that one time with my Springer. I gave her my Shih-Tzu's heart meds. I didn't induce vomitting, tho. I didn't even think to do that :dunno It didn't seem to hurt her.

Guest EmilyAnne

I once almost gave my NON diabetic dog an insulin shot. My husband was screaming his head off for me to stop!!!!!!! Fortunately I stopped barely in time. And my dogs looked NOTHING alike. :huh

I commend you for being prepared and acting quickly!

I know exactly how you feel. Little Angel Cody Angelo snatched up Flashy's pills as Flashy dropped them from his mouth. Needless to say...I had to call off work...and do the peroxide thing. My poor little Cody...so trusting...he lapped up the peroxide all on his own accord and boy was he sick. ER vet said if they didn't come up in 10 minutes to be on my way in with him. Little Cody weighed 15 and Flashy 75 pounds...so Cody got a huge dose of Flashy's meds. Glad everything is ok. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes and you handled it well.

I had to call the vet to find out how bad it was that I took Patrick's soloxine (turns out once, not that big a deal.)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Peanut

been there done that -- glad everyone is okay.

Sassy, the morning of her spay, quickly gobbled up my mom's estrogeon pill she had dropped on the floor. Called the vet and they told me not to worry.

To top that off, Merlin helped himself to my kids anti-depressants and was so kind to share with Peanut. I had them put up and he still got to them. Both were fine, but we spent the rest of the day on watch at the vet's office. (I wrote a grant for work while I was there...) Unsure of who ate what. Side effects of one was seizures -- which Peanut already had.