Fentanyl Patch

Nancy, I've found that any of the narcotics can really affect their appetite -- the fentanyl seems to be one of the worst, especially for dogs who were previously not on any pain medication. The Previcox makes sense, as it's an anti-inflammatory, and I'll bet the surgeon wants Bones on that for a set period of time. Certainly between the antibiotics, narcotics and possibly Previcox, it's no surprise that Bones isn't too hungry. I'll bet you'll see a difference a few hours after that patch comes off, though. I think I remember your saying that he's on pepcid. Sometimes carafate can help, but you have to be careful about the timing as it affects absorption of the meds.

A little boiled chicken and broth, maybe? Strained baby meats have always been irresistible to my guys, especially if you use the strained meats for giving pills. It may also be that taking his meds without food is making him more sick to his stomach, and not eating also affects the way the meds are metabolized.

Fatty meatballs? A little vanilla ice cream? (I am *such* a Jewish mother) :lol But so glad to hear that he's getting up and around so well! When is his first visit back with the surgeon?

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest valtoy

My pet hospital gave me some Fentinal patch remover pads. They were moist pads that I rub under the patch as I peel it up. It came off fairly easily and my Ham had no discomfort. They dissolve the adhesive from the pad. I used vinyl gloves per their instructions and flushed the patch as it is quite a strong medication. I had to remove Ham's a day early as he was getting over anxious and pacing and breathing heavily and they thought he might be overdosing on the pain medication.

Valerie

http://home.att.net/~valtoy/Ham.html

Nancy, I've found that any of the narcotics can really affect their appetite -- the fentanyl seems to be one of the worst, especially for dogs who were previously not on any pain medication. The Previcox makes sense, as it's an anti-inflammatory, and I'll bet the surgeon wants Bones on that for a set period of time. Certainly between the antibiotics, narcotics and possibly Previcox, it's no surprise that Bones isn't too hungry. I'll bet you'll see a difference a few hours after that patch comes off, though. I think I remember your saying that he's on pepcid. Sometimes carafate can help, but you have to be careful about the timing as it affects absorption of the meds.

A little boiled chicken and broth, maybe? Strained baby meats have always been irresistible to my guys, especially if you use the strained meats for giving pills. It may also be that taking his meds without food is making him more sick to his stomach, and not eating also affects the way the meds are metabolized.

Fatty meatballs? A little vanilla ice cream? (I am *such* a Jewish mother) :lol But so glad to hear that he's getting up and around so well! When is his first visit back with the surgeon?

Agree with everything you said here Jordan. Bones "acts" like he is hungry but does not want to attempt eating. Does that make any sense? I did boil him up some hamburger and rice for dinner, but he was not interested.

The patch is off. It came off very easily. Bones is still doing very well. He seems to have had a peaceful day at home and I hope he continues to improve. My only concern with him at the moment is his appetite. Thank you everyone!

Guest IrskasMom

Ohhh Nancy .... where else could you get some helpful Advise but here ? We are here for you and love to hear about

Bones . Everybody has had or is in a similar Situation and needs help . Next time it's maybe me who needs help and

I will not hesitate to call on you Guy's. Hopefully Bones will be good as new shortly without any Medicin or Wraps. Thats's

what this Board is all about . Some extra lovin and Hugs for your sweet Bones. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:dogcookie

When Rex was so sick if I could just get him to take one bite of anything we were home free as he'd go on and progressively eat other things, like hamburger and rice and sometimes even kibble.

With him I never knew what would stoke his engine...hot dog, braunswager, sardine (usually worked cuz he loved them and they were smelly) freeze dried liver, cheese in a can (another fav), cream cheese, cheddar..if I could just get him to take that first bite he'd go on.

:grouphug:kiss2

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

When Rex was so sick if I could just get him to take one bite of anything we were home free as he'd go on and progressively eat other things, like hamburger and rice and sometimes even kibble.

With him I never knew what would stoke his engine...hot dog, braunswager, sardine (usually worked cuz he loved them and they were smelly) freeze dried liver, cheese in a can (another fav), cream cheese, cheddar..if I could just get him to take that first bite he'd go on.

:grouphug:kiss2

We are getting there Pam. After the patch came off he did nibble a little bit on his hamburger and rice.

He has four more days of the totally disgusting antibiotics and then he is done.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Nancy,

I noticed my guy's appetite perked up after the fentanyl was off.

how about some strained meat on a spreader? My guys love the Gerber baby food ham. They said "Chicken-schmicken, give me ham!"

Scritches for Bones.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes