Fentanyl Patch

Last DaBones thread, I am sure you guys are tired of hearing about him!

Patch comes off tomorrow. Vet tech suggested mineral oil and cotton tips and just work it off ever so gently. That sounds like a good plan to me. What has worked for you all?

Many, many thanks. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I used baby oil. Then when it is off, washed the area with dove and then applied A&D ointment. It helps that little bit of rash go away quick.

Q-tip of oil under one corner, let it rub and rest then peel til it resists, rub and rest - repeat. Took me about 15-20 minutes on both battle and gus.

Guest celticfairiemom

I used mineral oil, put gloves on and rubbed it in with my fingers all over the patch and surrounding fur, then I just slowly worked the oil in as I lifted the patch - no hair loss, very little pulling on the skin. If it seemed stuck at any point I added more oil to my fingers and rubbed until it kind of rolled off. Good luck!

Guest ChasesMum

heh... so don't just rip it off like a wax strip then? ;)

just kidding, I would NEVER do that. sounds like you got some great advice! If I remmember correctly, George reacted so poorly to the adhesive that his skin just sloughed itself off to get rid of the patch. :( poor guy, talk about adding insult to injury! I think that area took as long to heal as his amp site!

however you remove it just don't flush it as it states in all directions I have read, I am sure you won't. Asia's is around her ankle and Monday I am to remove it, I will cut it and hpe it comes off smoothly, then in the garbage it goes.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest GiJenn51

olive oil and a q-tip. It should be spent, but make sure you are careful when handling it. My vet made me bring it back to them-- you never know who is going through the trash...

olive oil and a q-tip. It should be spent, but make sure you are careful when handling it. My vet made me bring it back to them-- you never know who is going through the trash...

WOW! Another thing that never would have occurred to me. Thanks Jenn. People are whacked.

Thanks everybody, I have a plan!

We've always removed them with mineral oil or baby oil and cotton balls. I'd wear gloves just to be on the safe side and put it in a Ziploc baggie once you get it off. If you aren't required to return it to your vet, just throw it away I guess.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest longdogs

These are absolutely horrible to remove and I advise you to be prepared. They obviously have to work through the skin and the skin becomes soft and sensitive under the patch. Nugget also reacted to the adhesive and her skin was especially sore and delicate. You can't do anything that might cause more fentanyl to be released, such as using heat to soften the adhesive. If the patch has run it's course your dog also might be experiencing increased levels of pain. You need to get a corner to lift and then apply oil under the patch. We found olive oil worked as well as any and a cotton-bud or cotton ball was a good way to apply it. We found it better to do it gradually, a little bit at a time, rather than attempting to get it over with quickly. Nugget was a real stoic and put up with many pains and indignities but this was the last straw for her. She hated every part of it including being shaved each time. Her skin was too sore to re-use the same spot. When we finally had to let her go, we chose the time when we would have had to replace her patch yet again.

I hope things go better for you and obviously your boy is not in the same state as Nugget. She didn't have fentanyl for her break.

These are absolutely horrible to remove and I advise you to be prepared. They obviously have to work through the skin and the skin becomes soft and sensitive under the patch. Nugget also reacted to the adhesive and her skin was especially sore and delicate. You can't do anything that might cause more fentanyl to be released, such as using heat to soften the adhesive. If the patch has run it's course your dog also might be experiencing increased levels of pain. You need to get a corner to lift and then apply oil under the patch. We found olive oil worked as well as any and a cotton-bud or cotton ball was a good way to apply it. We found it better to do it gradually, a little bit at a time, rather than attempting to get it over with quickly. Nugget was a real stoic and put up with many pains and indignities but this was the last straw for her. She hated every part of it including being shaved each time. Her skin was too sore to re-use the same spot. When we finally had to let her go, we chose the time when we would have had to replace her patch yet again.

I hope things go better for you and obviously your boy is not in the same state as Nugget. She didn't have fentanyl for her break.

I am so sorry about your sweet girl. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let everyone know how we do.

This is the one of the reasons I try to avoid fentanyl patches. I was told to use mineral oil. Be sure to wear gloves, because any residual fentanyl will be absorbed through your skin, and you'll be down for the count.

I hope they shaved the area where the patch was applied. The one time I used a patch with my sweet oldster Mini, I neglected to do so, and trying to get the patch off her long tummy hairs was a nightmare for both of us.

Is Bones staying on fentanyl, or going onto something shorter acting?

How's he doing on post-op day 2?

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest VelvetEars

I just want to chime in with a caution to avoid baby oil or mineral oil. If it's safe to put IN your body, it's safe to put ON your body. Any oil you'd cook with (veg, canola, olive) is fine. You wouldn't eat baby/mineral oil, so don't put it on your body - or on your dog.

Guest longdogs

Mineral oil was used medicinally as a laxative. It's not toxic and you won't be using it in great quantity. Vegetable oils should work just as well.

Today is the day that I take off Asia's patch and it is on her ankle, looks like scotch tape wrapped around. it is a fentanyl patch and it seems to be in a better place to remove and it has certainly done its job.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Used olive oil and unwrapped it, not a peep out of her. It was sticky and if it weere on her side I believe she would have had an issue with the removal.

This is the one of the reasons I try to avoid fentanyl patches. I was told to use mineral oil. Be sure to wear gloves, because any residual fentanyl will be absorbed through your skin, and you'll be down for the count.

I hope they shaved the area where the patch was applied. The one time I used a patch with my sweet oldster Mini, I neglected to do so, and trying to get the patch off her long tummy hairs was a nightmare for both of us.

Is Bones staying on fentanyl, or going onto something shorter acting?

How's he doing on post-op day 2?

Jordan yes, he is shaved. He is on Plavicox (Rimadyl I think?) which does not thrill me. He will be off it as soon as he is able.

He is still not eating, but drinking well and staying hydrated. No vomiting but I think he is nauseated from the antibiotic.

He went outside this morning under his own power. We had been lifting him down the stairs (two small ones), but he made it clear he would prefer to do it himself. He did his business and right back in the house. He rarely knuckles under anymore, he is full weight bearing. After he walks he is a little whiney, but I put the comfrey compress on and that seems to soothe him. Arnicia Gel for the bruising and hosing for the swelling have done their job. The swelling is almost gone and the bruising is greatly reduced.

He is confined to an ex-pen with food and water and was quite comfortable when I left him this morning.

I'll take the patch off tonight when I get home. Canola oil it will be.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input and experiences. My boy is amazing.

Guest HeatherDemps

Oh gosh, this was a rotten experience for me- took a more than an hour and was slow. Before the patch, we had to get a large "band aid" off the staples that was to stop some leaking from the surgery site. I made my mom do that one but she wouldn't come back over for the pain patch. :) I wore gloves and used tons of oil and just took my time. I think I ended up with neck and back cramps from leaning over the dog doing this. Good luck. :)

Last DaBones thread, I am sure you guys are tired of hearing about him!

Don't be ridiculous please Nancy. If you don't post regular updates in regular threads, your inbox is going to fill up PDQ.

More threads as and when necessary pleeeeeeeeeese :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest EMcElfresh

When Gordon's patch had to be removed (I removed it a couple days early since he was SO drugged up he walked into walls and his pupils were two different sizes) it came rather easily, just like a bandaid. But here in MA the vets are required to have you bring or mail it back to them. They told me if children touched/ingested it, it could be lethal - and that it was basically a heroin patch - so as a controlled substance it needed to be "properly disposed of" by their office...it made me pretty nervous - I wore gloves when peeling it off.

So glad to hear Bones is doing so well!

Have you tried giving Bones some Vanilla Ensure. If he's not eating this maybe enticing to him and has good vitamins. Also with Clark hand feeding McDonalds hamburgers works great, or raw ground chicken.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Jordan yes, he is shaved. He is on Plavicox (Rimadyl I think?) which does not thrill me. He will be off it as soon as he is able.

He is still not eating, but drinking well and staying hydrated. No vomiting but I think he is nauseated from the antibiotic.

He went outside this morning under his own power. We had been lifting him down the stairs (two small ones), but he made it clear he would prefer to do it himself. He did his business and right back in the house. He rarely knuckles under anymore, he is full weight bearing. After he walks he is a little whiney, but I put the comfrey compress on and that seems to soothe him. Arnicia Gel for the bruising and hosing for the swelling have done their job. The swelling is almost gone and the bruising is greatly reduced.

He is confined to an ex-pen with food and water and was quite comfortable when I left him this morning.

That is great news, after only a couple of days. Yay bones! Heal dem bones! (PS-My husband got righteously indignant for you when I told him about the greyhounds are wussies comment.)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

That is great news, after only a couple of days. Yay bones! Heal dem bones! (PS-My husband got righteously indignant for you when I told him about the greyhounds are wussies comment.)

Atta boy DH!! :lol:lol

Dr. B changed his mind at least about my greyhound and I changed my mind about him.

Win win situation.