Well, Henry Made It 23 Days This Time

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry just had a grand-mal about a half hour ago. I did change out the organic beef in his home cooked diet ot organic chicken last night. I am not sure yet if it was the chicken? I did give him a small chunk of raw chicken neck yesterday. I won't do that anymore and see how that goes. I had suspected previously Henry may have a problem with chicken, but wasn't sure. My hope is organic chicken will be fine.

Recently I had learned I was doing the ice pack too low. I tried it higher this time, and lo and behold, it worked much better. He didn't even need to make a bowel movement. I really wanted to video the ice pack technique, but Henry was flying this time and I had to hurry with the ice-pack.

His mouth has quite a bit of blood. I checked his mouth, the bleeding is slowing down. His legs seem to hurt when he was walking. I haven't seen this before with the legs.

All lights are turned off, AC is on full blast, the kids are in our bedroom watching a movie turned way down low. Henry is laying on the floor by my feet with his head resting on his front legs.

Henry has to make it even longer next time in order to stay off meds. My goal is to get him to no more often than once a month. If I didn't have the ice pack, then once a month would be too much due to the severity of his grand-mals.

Guest LadyChester

I'm so sorry your boy had a seizure. I don't have a seizure dog at the present but have in the past, so I've been watching all the news about Henry and Lucky. He's made tons of progress. Give Henry some gentle scritches from PA :grouphug

Oh Henry, there are so many of us watching your progress and your mom's detective work. All I can think about is how very exhausting it is for both Henry and you. Still have to say, thank God Emily, that you are him mom

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Poor Henry. :(

Emily, do you have a photo of where to place the ice pack? From the Emergency Seizures site the link for the diagram didn't work.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Poor Henry. :(

Emily, do you have a photo of where to place the ice pack? From the Emergency Seizures site the link for the diagram didn't work.

Here it is: http://thebarfblog-emily.blogspot.com/sear...abel/ice%20pack

Thanks Emily, that's what I was looking for.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest hannahmom

I'm sorry Henry seized again, but I am so very happy he has a home with a Momma that loves him and cares for him during and after the scary things.

Guest Greytminds

Emily sorry to hear this. Henry was doing so well. I would stay away from raw meat even if it is a neck. Back when we first got Lucky the turkey neck got to him. It really is a let down when you feel sucess and have it ripped from your fingers. Dont give up and stick with what works. I thought beef was a issue for Lucky thats why I am so afraid to try it.

Maybe chicken is Henry's issue. But I would definatley stay away from raw meat of anykind. The articles suggest there is a possible link to the seziures.

Lucky's last seziure was a withdrawal seizure. We dropped his phenobarbitol from 2 a day to 1 1/2 and he is doing fine. So I still have faith in the diet and so should you. Its so important for us not to deviate from what works for Henry and Lucky wether it be chicken or beef.

Again I am so very sorry to hear this. :cry1

Guest boondog

I've never dealt with a seizure dog, but I appreciate all of the information you've shared. I hope I never need it, but you never know. I'm sorry he had a grand mal, but everything you've done with him is amazing.

Guest greyt2love

I'm sorry to hear Henry had a seizure. Having a seizure dog myself, I know what it is like to go throught that with them. You are doing an amazing job with Henry. Ad, the last time Caesar had a seizure, I had a bag of ice ready in the freezer and it really did seem to help !! I would not have known about that except for you !! So thank you from Caesar and I !!

Awww, Emily I'm sorry to hear this. He is a lucky boy for having you to take care of him though. Hoping for a much longer period until the next one, or even better, no more!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest EmilyAnne

Last night Henry had a small episode of fly catchers. The flycatchers are pretty much harmless, but they indicate something still needs to be changed.

So today we are going back to beef. No more chicken. Wer'e getting this figured out more and more.

For Lucky, (Greytmind's hound) he does best with chicken. For Henry, he does best with beef. But otherwise, the recipe is identical and both hounds, even with their recent Grand-Mals, they have still made quite bit of improvement with their home-cooked diet.

And now that I know about the chicken being a problem, I am optimistic Henry to do even better next time! Raw chicken is a big trigger for Henry, cooked chicken is not as bad, but still a trigger. Good to know this stuff!

Hopefully Henry will not seize again due to the last few days of having cooked chicken.