A Limping Sadie

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

Of course my current vet does not have weekend hours :(

Sadie was limping pretty badly this morning, right front paw. This is the paw that has the weird thing on her pad that I don't think is a corn but have no idea what it is. Of course, it could be corn. What do I know? :rolleyes:

I gave her an ascripton because I cannot stand to see her hobbling around. Roy says she's better.

I'm going to take her in on Monday if they have any appointments open (my day off). I'm thinking I might have her leg exrayed just for peace of mind.

She limps occasionally, usually on a front paw, but I couldn't tell you if it's always the same paw.

She was especially pokey (slow) on our walk last night. I noticed a slight limp but nothing noticeable to a non-neurotic mom.

What are the possibilities I should discuss with the vet?

Corn

Soft Tissue Injury

?????

I'm not allowing myself to think anything worse than that. Since this is a recurring thing, I'm not too worried that it's anything more serious, but I'd like to be prepared with questions before I go.

Edited by BlackandBrindle

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'll check my photobucket for the earlier pictures. It's kinda morphed into something else at this point, but I'll get pictures when I get home. Sometimes I hate working Saturdays :(

I don't know from corns either, but if you have already noticed a "weird thing" on this foot, that would be my first choice for what's causing the limp. Did she have any racing injuries? Is it swollen? Does she react when you feel/manipulate her leg and foot?

Sorry for the 20 questions :) just trying to get an idea of what it might be.

Guest BlackandBrindle

IMG_0037-2.jpg

That's what it used to look like. NOw it's kind of hard but not terribly so, lighter in color, and mostly on the edge of the paw pad.

No racing injuries that I know of. She had a back toe amputated before we adopted her. She also had a pretty short racing career.

It's not swollen, and when I prodded it she didn't react. I squeezed the paw, put her through range of motion for the whole leg, and no reaction that I could tell.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the pad, but I don't know what it is and it's making me nuts!!! :crazy

well, like I said, I've never had to deal with corns, but that sure does look like it could be one to me :unsure I'd keep her off her feet as much as possible and take her in Monday. Hopefully some of the more corn-knowledgable people will see this!

(spell check doesn't think corn-knowledgeable is a word! :lol )

It actually looks like a callus of some type vs a corn. For the weekend I would use bag balm on it which will soften it. I have a tendancy to always want my vet to look at whatever it is vs trusting my own judgement. But the bag balm should help. It's done wonders for Wayne's pads and his corn. Sadie girl, feel better so you can come to California

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

That sounds an awful lot like a corn. They can be quite painful to walk on.

I'd be more concerned if she had pain in other parts of her foot, joints, etc. But what you describe sounds... corny. :rolleyes:

The vet will obviously be able to tell, but I don't think you need to climb the walls if you have to wait for a Monday appointment. ;)

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Oh, poor Sadie girl. Can't tell what it is. Hope you can get her to the vet on Monday. Waiting SUCKS, but breathe. It might well be nothing too serious. If she's limping, there must be some kind of pain or at the very least some discomfort, but it could be a number of things.

Try not to worry too much at this stage. :bighug But - it goes without saying - please keep us posted! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BlackandBrindle

Roy has noticed the changes in her paw pad so I'm really thinking corn. UGH!!!

Gonna order some therapaws I think. What size do you get for a greyhound?

I don't know, one of the members of our group has some for her 10 year old boy Frankie. I'll email her right away and let you know what she says. How much does Sadie weigh right now?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Pipi5

Oh no! I've never had corns to deal with but my friend Cynde has one that her doggie Caddy won't walk on the patio & he barely walks on the grass, he does okay on the carpet but not in the kitchen on the tile.

Bless your soul. I have no advise but just hold tight, Monday will be here before you know it.

Poor baby. It's no fun to have a painful foot. Would it help to soak it or wrap it in a warm cloth soaked in Epsom salt?

Not meaning to hijack, but I have to ask a question pertinent to the discussion here, what is the difference between a callous and a corn? I thought they were the same thing, but that corn was slang for callous.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I use therapaws for Wayne. What they tell you to do is put a piece of paper under her foot and trace it. Then measure the length and the width. The one I use is S/M2 and Wayne's a big boy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Poor baby. It's no fun to have a painful foot. Would it help to soak it or wrap it in a warm cloth soaked in Epsom salt?

Not meaning to hijack, but I have to ask a question pertinent to the discussion here, what is the difference between a callous and a corn? I thought they were the same thing, but that corn was slang for callous.

:lol Coming from me you know you'll really get a really "simple" explanation. But a callus is all surface whereas a corn starts below the surface. Told you it would be simple :lol And a corn grows, a callus doesn't.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest MnMDogs

Mork's last corn started out like that. After several months it became much more defined, with the pin point middle.

Regarding the TheraPaws - Mork wears medium at 80+ pounds. Call the number on the website - they are amazingly helpful in helping choose a size, and you get 5 dollars off if you mention it's for a rescue grey. They work wonders, btw!

Sending prayers for Sadie Girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BlackandBrindle

So now I'm thinking it's not that pad, but the one next to it and that it's bruised. When I push on that one, she pulls her foot away. Here are pictures.

What do you think?

The funny looking pad...

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

The one that seems to hurt...

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

Aww, poor Miss Sadie! I hope you figure out what it is, and that she feels better soon!

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Definintely looks like something going on with the other pad too....maybe another corn forming :unsure If I were you I would soak the foot in some warm water (with some epsom salts if you have any) it may relieve the pain a little until you can get to see the vet. Hugs to you and Sadie

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT