It's Almost Too Much

Guest tennesseegrey

Guest tennesseegrey

Last week I wrote my thoughts and expressed my experience on loosing Rosie to Osteosarcoma. What a horrible experience that was. Your comments were such a comfort and so strengthening.

You're just not going to believe this though. So I take my Caesar, my remaining grey and my comfort in for ACL repair as he fell halfway down a set of stairs about a month ago. The surgeon takes him back for xrays and returns to the exam room with this, "It's not good, Caesar has Osteosarcoma". Oh my gosh!!! What the hell!! How does this happen!!??

I'm beginning to believe that Osteosarcoma starts with an infection or something. Think about it....HPV, the sexually transmitted infection in some cases can turn into cancer. Has anyone else though this before??

Caesar's cancer is up very high in his hind right leg. The surgeon says she's only operated on one other dog that had cancer this high in the leg/hip.

Can someone give me some advice for getting in touch with the appropriate department at the Vet School in Ohio for getting ahold of chemotherapy? I've heard that one of the doctors there offers assistance for greyhounds adopted though foster care.

Thanks for listening/reading again.

Joy

Guest LadyChester

OMG ... I am so very sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling at this moment. I have no experience but others will know how to get you in touch with Ohio State and Dr. Couto. Sending prayers for you and Caesar :grouphug

The doctor in question is Dr. Couto. Others will advise you better than I will, I have not ever needed to get in touch with him so far...

I am so, so sorry Joy. How completely devastating this must be for you. :grouphug:cry1:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm so sorry. Here is the info from the newest edition of the Greyhound Health and Wellness Quarterly

Email address: greyosu@osu.edu

Direct Phone number: (614) 247-6757

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Joy, you're right, it does seem like too much sometimes. It seems that almost every day, we hear of another Grey who is fighting the monster osteo. And when it is your precious boy diagnosed so soon after losing Rosie, that is beyond heartbreaking. I don't know what to say to ease your pain, but please know that you can come here anytime---to vent, to ask questions, cry, celebrate each victory, large or small.

Whatever you decide, you and Caesar are in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry. I hate that I know what you are feeling right now when you get the news that you are dealing with osteo. We lost our dear Carrier on March 30. But please don't be discouraged... I know it hard not to be when you are dealing with this and know that there isn't a cure out there... but there are many dogs here and on Circle of Grey (a yahoo group that you should join) that have done amazing. There are options and whatever you choose will be right for Caesar and you.

We drove from Canada to Ohio State to see Dr Couto. OSU is amazing and they will help you without even going there.

I documented Carrier's journey thoroughly here on Greytalk.

You can read all of the posts here.

Carrier's Diagnosis

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...&hl=Carrier

Carrier's Progress

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...&hl=Carrier

Sending you and Caesar gentle hugs

I am so Sorry I have no advise, but I do have lots of :bighug:bighug and :hope and :candle !!!!!!!!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

My heart is breaking for you. :cry1 My hounds have been unlucky with OS several times, and it about drives one insane dealing with this monster. Definitely talk with Dr. Couto and see what course of action would be adviseable. You'll make the right decision for your precious boy, as you know him best. Sending prayers and heartfelt hugs... :hope:bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Hugs and prayers going out to you and your precious Caesar. I am so sorry for this nightmare you are going through.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Ohio will want any slides sent to them. Unfortunately, the lab where Jamaica's slides were done is weeks behind so I don't know if Ohio will ever get them. Request that the vet ask for them to be sent to OSU on the form he sends asking for a reading (not sure what they call it). Here is another email address:

Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu

It is where I reached Dr. Paulo Vilar Saavedra

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

http://www.vet.osu.edu/1872.htm

I am so sorry. If anyone can help...it is Dr. Couto. My heart and prayers are with you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest tennesseegrey
:grouphug I'm so very sorry. I hope and pray Dr. Couto can work a miracle for your precious boy.

It looks like you lost 2 very close together. What a horrible experience that must have been. I hope you're doing better, so sorry for your losses.

Prayers for Caesar and hugs for you.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest CyndiW

First of all, I am so sorry about your 2 babies. That is really hard just losing one and then getting this news.

I have to wonder too about infections getting the whole thing rolling for cancer. Alex went septic after an abdominal surgery went bad and gave him a massive infection. Then, what you know............ several months later he gets cancer - in the intestines. Hmmmmmmmmmm....... I figure a lot of his had to do with being septic so long and not having an immune system which invites infection and disease. Does make one wonder. If I had to do it over again, I would have loaded him with all kinds of antioxidants and other immune boosting supplements after he came home from the ICU.

My Odysseus had osteo in his left hip (femoral head to be exact). The orthopedic surgeon at Medvet (near Ohio State) removed all of the hip bones on that side to make sure he got far enough out from the cancer and of course he took the leg. His incision looked strange (Y shape if I remember correctly) but the overall area healed and looked great especially once the hair grew back. He had no problems walking, running, and playing. All of the doctors said it was strange to see osteo in that area.

I will keep your sweet Caesar in my thoughts and prayers. Please PM me if you have any questions about Odysseus' surgery/recovery. Hang in there.