Complex Focal Seizures

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Guest DeweytheGreyt

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with Complex Focal Seizures or "fly biting". I had posted a few weeks ago about Fallon's strange behavior. At that time my vet had suggested a change of food to grain free with a "unique protien" source such as venison, buffalo, kangaroo, etc. He had a terrible skin infection when we adopted him that took almost a year to clear up. Skin Thread Her thinking is that he is ultra sensitve to food as nothing else has changed in our home. He has been on Natural Balance's Venison and Sweet Potato for a little over 4 weeks now along with getting a benadryl twice a day. At first, his "fits" drastically cut down. But now it is worse than ever.

When this all first started, he could be redirected by calling his name or snapping. Now, short of picking him up and moving him, he won't stop for anything. These "fits" can last anywhere to a few seconds to an hour or longer. At our vet's recommendation our next step is for a liver ultrasound to see if he possibly has a shunt. This could be the cause of his problem if his liver isn't cleaning his blood well enough. At this time, all of his blood levels are normal.

If that shows nothing, our next step is an MRI to rule out a brain tumor or epilepsy. I don't need to tell you how costly that is going to be. I want to help my boy, this is consuming his life. So if anyone has had any experience with this or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Guest paulamariez

I have no advice, but I will keep Fallon in my prayers, so they figure out the problem and cure it for him. He is an absolutely GORGEOUS white greyhound! My sister just adores white dogs and I even sent her a copy of Fallon's picture from an old thread, so she could see him! She too, thought he was just adorable!

Guest DeweytheGreyt
What exactly do these seizures look like? I have no insights for you, but am curious to learn more.

It is as if there is a bug on him and he has to lick or nibble the area immediately. He jerks his head to look at different parts of his body. He doesn't always lick or nibble, sometimes he just looks at the area like he can see the bug there. Always different parts of his body, legs, feet, chest, rear end. Then he also will look into the air as if he sees the bug flying. This can go on for a long time. Sometimes he gets so wound up about it that he will jump up and run to another room with his tail between his legs trying to escape the "bugs". It's so sad to see him like this.

It happens at random times. It can wake him out of a dead sleep or can happen in the middle of eating. If it happens while he's eating, he'll spin around like there is something behind him poking him. Usually at that point he gives up eating. It's like he can just never relax.

Here's a link with more info: Linky

Edited by DeweytheGreyt

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry has had a lot of these since March. It started within 12 hours of first dose of Flagyl, he had never had a flycatcher seizure before then, though he had lots of grand-mals bfore then.

With Henry, he cranes his head upwards, and my husband always hears his jaws chomping so he knows right away, and Henry basically snaps at the air repeatedly. Calling his name or distracting him doesn't stop them. When he was on Flagyl it used to go on quite awhile. Now when he has them it's only 5 or 6 snaps in the air per episode and it's over.

Other dog's focals can be more of a lick, chomp, lick, chomp, lick, chomp motion. It can vary.

I tried two varieties of Natural Balance, Henry had daily flycatchers on both of them. Since starting him on this fantastic home cooked recipe Greytminds shared with me, (started July 24th) Heny has had only ONE episode of flycatcher seizures. =)

Guest skinnydog

I'm going through this with Lucy right now. Hers centre around meal times, and it looks like she's gassy. We've had her on a low dose of metaclopramide (I think - having a brain fart right now), and it stopped the episodes completely for a couple months. Recently, she's been having one or two every day, but can be brought out by us talking to her. I will be speaking with my vet this afternoon to discuss other options.

PM me if you like - I have a video or two on youtube.com.

The only way an MRI will show epilepsy is if the seizures are caused by a lesion on the brain. Most dogs with epilepsy have normal MRI results. The MRI will tell you however if there is a tumor present. I would be more concerned with the duration of the seizure more than the frequency. Having a seizure for an hours is really hard on a dog. If the liver tests come out normal and you opt for an MRI and it's normal then I would consider starting meds just because of the length of the seizures your pups is having.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest DeweytheGreyt
I'd weigh in wether the meds may be more damaging than the focals before you jump into meds.

We are also looking at acupuncture. I'll try to get video of him this weekend so you can see what I'm talking about.

Guest ChasesMum

wow! So are these flybiting episodes ALWAYS caused by something? Chase does the nibbling on her flank thing, and things that really sound like what has been described, but they never last more than 10-15 seconds and never made me worry.....