Flagyl & Epilepsy And Awareness

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

When I look up risks of Flagyl for humans, it mentions extreme care should be taken when used in patients with epilepsy. However, when I look up risks of Flagyl for dogs, it states only if there is a severe overdose, then there may be some 'nuerological' problems caused.

Yet, I know of many who have dogs with idiopathic epilepsy (I post on epil-k9 list) and Flagyl is a trigger for many of them as well.

Is it that they only did the research concerning epilepsy and flagyl for humans, but didnt do it for dogs, and since that research only applied to humans, they dismiss it for dogs? Are the research standards as strict for dogs as it is for humans? Are people letting the drug company know Flagyl is causing problems in many epileptic dogs as well?

Icarus took Flagyl for two weeks and it never caused seizures in him.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest EmilyAnne
Icarus took Flagyl for two weeks and it never caused seizures in him.

Never said it causes seizures in ALL dogs with idiopathic epilepsy.

As long as we are on the topic though, Is Icarus on AED's? I am wondering if epileptic dogs on AED's do better on Flagyl than epileptic dogs not on AED's?

Guest EmilyAnne

By the way, when Henry was first given Flagyl, he started having flycatcher seizures for the first time within 12 hours. (I NEVER saw Henry have flycatchers prior to this) Within 24 hours, he had an earth shattering grand-mal. Cont'd to have constant flycatchers throughout the rest of the round of Flagyl. I called the vet almost daily, very worried about what could be causing this. She never mentioned the risk of Flagyl.

Henry then started another round a month later, same thing happened! Except this time, as soon as he had a grand-mal, I looked up Flagyl in epileptic humans, and found out about the risk. I discont'd that round of Flagyl immediately.

And to think, there was even talk of putting Henry on a long term low dose of Flagyl! :o

The vet's answer to the seizures was to increase his meds. Wrong, he needed to be taken off Flagyl! I am glad I figured it out for myself, but what about those who do not?

There needs to be awareness to watch out for this!

Guest Greytminds

I can attest to this. Because Luckies previous owner did not investigate Flagyl and yes they did up the medications. We are know in a position of getting things under control. IE diet and meds. levels. DO NOT give ANY medications without researching the side affects first.

It is obvious the FDA does not take the wealfare of our pets to the same standards as humans. When the food recalls from China originally started it got little press coverage or concern. When it affected a human the tides turned and all products from China were under the microscope.