Bodie's One Year Anniversary

Guest Bodie

Guest HoustonGreys
Tomorrow (August 8) is Bodie's one year anniversary of his amputation after diagnosis of osteosarcoma. I guess that makes him one of the lucky "one year" survivors. It is a bittersweet anniversary because, as many of you know, Bodie has lung mets. He will be leaving us sooner, rather than later.

It has been an incredible year. "The best of times and the worst of times." As many of you may remember, everything that could go wrong for Bodie after his amputation, did. He finally stabalized and recovered and then it was the long, arduous trips to OSU (7 hours one way) every two weeks for chemotherapy. It seems like we have been on an emotional rollercoaster for so long. That is the worst part about this.

The best part is, of course, all of you. You have been there for me and supported me when I sagged. I couldn't have done it without you. The incredible generosity of many of you has astonished me. Without your support, I don't know if I could have made it this far. I feel I have made many new friends - special friends - and I am so grateful.

Bodie was given a life expectancy of until the middle of the summer. He has exceeded that - with no outwardly visible signs, yet, of the lung mets. As one friend said, "Bodie is on his own timetable." And so he is. He eats with gusto and is even slightly "portly". He plays with his stuffies, he runs after Guinness. He seems to be a normal greyhound in every way except that he tires easily.

Unfortunately, this not knowing when the end will come is stressful. I have started to go into what I recognize is the denial stage of grief: he shows no outward signs of lung mets so he isn't really going to die. It is for this reason that I haven't posted much lately. The denial runs deep - I don't want to deal with illness, sickness, or death right now so I find myself pulling back. Therefore, I'm not as supportive as I should be, but I think you all understand.

And so we continue - Bodie and I -enjoying our days together - trying to make each day special - and very grateful that we have had one extra year together.

Sometimes you just have to be in "survival mode" to get yourself through. Everyone here understands. Enjoy the time you an Bodie have and take lots of pictures.

Bodie's always been one of my favs. I love him.....I think about you and Bodie often.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest snowberry

Yay for Bodie! For what it's worth, I don't think of it as denial so much as "living in the moment". You can't change the future, but you can appreciate every moment you have with your hound. Every minute, every second, that he is with you and not in pain or distress is a good moment - and I hope you have plenty more :grouphug

:cry1 I am wiping tears as I read this. I am sorry it was so hard on you both, your devotion is epic. I would much rather know the end is near with subtle signs not fast and furious with terrible pain of the osteo. Did you just learn of these mets? Try to take each day as Bodie takes them, play and be happy and love him, that is all you can do. :grouphug
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif