Bodie's One Year Anniversary

Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

Tomorrow (August 8) is Bodie's one year anniversary of his amputation after diagnosis of osteosarcoma. I guess that makes him one of the lucky "one year" survivors. It is a bittersweet anniversary because, as many of you know, Bodie has lung mets. He will be leaving us sooner, rather than later.

It has been an incredible year. "The best of times and the worst of times." As many of you may remember, everything that could go wrong for Bodie after his amputation, did. He finally stabalized and recovered and then it was the long, arduous trips to OSU (7 hours one way) every two weeks for chemotherapy. It seems like we have been on an emotional rollercoaster for so long. That is the worst part about this.

The best part is, of course, all of you. You have been there for me and supported me when I sagged. I couldn't have done it without you. The incredible generosity of many of you has astonished me. Without your support, I don't know if I could have made it this far. I feel I have made many new friends - special friends - and I am so grateful.

Bodie was given a life expectancy of until the middle of the summer. He has exceeded that - with no outwardly visible signs, yet, of the lung mets. As one friend said, "Bodie is on his own timetable." And so he is. He eats with gusto and is even slightly "portly". He plays with his stuffies, he runs after Guinness. He seems to be a normal greyhound in every way except that he tires easily.

Unfortunately, this not knowing when the end will come is stressful. I have started to go into what I recognize is the denial stage of grief: he shows no outward signs of lung mets so he isn't really going to die. It is for this reason that I haven't posted much lately. The denial runs deep - I don't want to deal with illness, sickness, or death right now so I find myself pulling back. Therefore, I'm not as supportive as I should be, but I think you all understand.

And so we continue - Bodie and I -enjoying our days together - trying to make each day special - and very grateful that we have had one extra year together.

And so we continue - Bodie and I -enjoying our days together - trying to make each day special - and very grateful that we have had one extra year together.

And, that is how it should be. G-d bless both Bodie and you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest KRKWMU

Go Bodie! Pretty amazing. :goodluck Do the best you can and enjoy the time you have left. I've also caught myself having the same denial thoughts with our girl, Bonnie. I think it's a natural process we will all go through. Take care of yourself and give Bodie some big hugs and kisses from us. :kiss2

Kiss that brave and precious boy for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I know that with osteo, that "waiting for the other shoe to drop" is in the back of your mind pretty much all the time. But like your friend said, Bodie is on his own timetable. And that is a timetable that goes from day to day, enjoying life, loving you, feeling safe. And really, what more can we ask for? I know you can't help but feel cheated by this monster that steals so many of our Greys away from us, but he's not thinking of that. I say this ---probably too often---but don't let those thoughts of future sadness steal that precious NOW away from you. That's not denial, that's love.

You're doing great, and so is he, sweet, brave boy. And you're both in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Nancy is right, you are doing great - both of you. Live in the now, the future is yet to be written.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Woooo hoooo Bodie :confetti Now that is something to celebrate. I t is good to hear an update on your precious boy. Keep up the good work boy.

I wouldn't call it denial, really. Just living each day as it comes. And that is exactly what you should do, for you and for him. What a lucky boy he is to have you with him!

Scritchies to both of you -- if you don't want yours, perhaps he will take extras :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

BodieDog - you've done good :confetti

I don't think it's denial either. The 'issue' is never far from your mind in situations like this. I know that I look at Darcy and apart from her missing limb, I can tell myself that as we approach ten months (next week), we've made it and all will be well for many years now. But the other part of my brain is watching for any little sign that something is going wrong.

However, today Bodie and Darcy are well so today we celebrate :confetti

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

What a great anniversary to celebrate. Hugs to you and your brave boy!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

That is a True Celebration!!!!!!!! Enjoy every day, minute, hour........ :colgate:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

You are indeed lucky. Wishing you much more quality time with your sweetie. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest boondog
I know that with osteo, that "waiting for the other shoe to drop" is in the back of your mind pretty much all the time. But like your friend said, Bodie is on his own timetable. And that is a timetable that goes from day to day, enjoying life, loving you, feeling safe. And really, what more can we ask for? I know you can't help but feel cheated by this monster that steals so many of our Greys away from us, but he's not thinking of that. I say this ---probably too often---but don't let those thoughts of future sadness steal that precious NOW away from you. That's not denial, that's love.

You're doing great, and so is he, sweet, brave boy. And you're both in our prayers.

I couldn't agree with this more. I think of Bodie often and I'm very glad to see an update. My prayers are still with you.

Guest Vinnie
BodieDog - you've done good :confetti

I don't think it's denial either. The 'issue' is never far from your mind in situations like this.

However, today Bodie and Darcy are well so today we celebrate :confetti

I couldn't agree more! I celebrate each time I hear/see how well each of the houndies who are battling with that dirty C word are doing. While we lost our sweet puppy Angel Vinnie way too early, every day that another houndie gets, I look as a victory from Vinnie and the others before him who have helped in the studies to beat this awful disease. Every day is a blessing and there is so much that you can do in a day - play, laugh, love - what more could a houndie ask for.

Yay for Bodie and you! Enjoy each and every day, celebrate and continue to make wonderful memories. Sending hugs and scritches.

Guest vahoundlover

:confetti One year!! :confetti Keep it up Sweetie!!

It's not denial, it's love...If I am ever faced with this monster...I hope I handle it half as well as you have. :grouphug

Guest tennesseegrey

Making it to one year is a gift. I had one year with my Rosie and I did the denial thing too, it's such a defence mechanism, but it worked for me. Congratulations!!