Is Bison Beef?

Guest greytlady

Guest greytlady

I have a boy that can't have beef. I got some food donated who's primary ingredient is bison. Gunner has eaten deer with no problems, but would bison be to close to beef??

Guest greytlady

But maybe having never had it before the chances it would make him react would be slim??

He can do pig ears, but not rawhide, again the beef.....

Guest EmilyAnne

Some dogs are allergic to only one kind of poultry, such as chicken, so it may be that your boy is only allegic to cow beef and may be fine with bison beef? What happens when he gets beef?

Guest greytlady
Some dogs are allergic to only one kind of poultry, such as chicken, so it may be that your boy is only allegic to cow beef and may be fine with bison beef? What happens when he gets beef?

His ears drip pus. Very nasty and painful!

Guest greytkidsmom
Sara, I found this....

http://www.woodbison.com/meat.htm

Yep. Bison = buffalo :) Somehow marketers think calling it bison will make more people buy it.

If you run out of things to do (ha ha), there is a bison farm in Paint Bank and a country store with a restaurant that sells bison dishes. Long drive through nowhere but really pretty.

Guest ArtoftheGryhnd

The scientific name is Bison Bison for the American Bison we have here. They are native, unlike cattle (beef). "Buffalo" is actually a misnomer, they aren't related to other Buffalos (like Water buffalos from Africa).

The meat is red, but it is not beef.

More than you wanted to know, I'll bet. My neighbor raises Bison.

Guest greytkidsmom
The scientific name is Bison Bison for the American Bison we have here. They are native, unlike cattle (beef). "Buffalo" is actually a misnomer, they aren't related to other Buffalos (like Water buffalos from Africa).

Thanks for the clarification.

The meat is red, but it is not beef.

More than you wanted to know, I'll bet. My neighbor raises Bison.

:nod :nod :nod

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest mandm

I remember from many years ago "beefalo," which I believe was a cross between a cow and a buffalo. Maybe I have that wrong. But if I don't, then there must be some relation, otherwise they couldn't be cross bred.

BUT, I strongly suspect a beef intolerance in my greyhound. I never seriously investigated my suspicion, since beef is expensive and there are many other red meats available. He does fine with bison. Loves it. And where I live, it is only a little more expensive than beef.