Ear Infections

I'm wondering how many of you have had ear infection problems with your dogs? My group director tells me that it's not too common and since she has so many and knows so much more that I do I trust her. But my vet has diagnosed both my boys with them right after I got them. I know the ears were wax and dirty, but they never mess with them like dogs who have ear problems tend to do. I'm wondering is he's misdiagnosing or if it's a problem that pops up and our group just hasn't had much issue with it and I just got "lucky."

Wren has had one in the five years we've had her, Blitz has a history of ear infections with his previous owner but not with us; none of the other five have ever had an ear infection. They are not common in greyhounds, but possible.

Did your vet do an ear cytology (swab some gunk out, put it on a slide, stain it, and look at it underneath a microscope) or diagnose just by looking? The cytology should have been done to determine if it was a yeast or bacterial infection because that then determines the medication that is used to clear it up.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Wren has had one in the five years we've had her, Blitz has a history of ear infections with his previous owner but not with us; none of the other five have ever had an ear infection. They are not common in greyhounds, but possible.

Did your vet do an ear cytology (swab some gunk out, put it on a slide, stain it, and look at it underneath a microscope) or diagnose just by looking? The cytology should have been done to determine if it was a yeast or bacterial infection because that then determines the medication that is used to clear it up.

She did the cytology and it is yeast for both of them. Lucius is over it but now we're batting it with Timmy.

None of my dogs has ever had an ear infection....even bridgekid Scully whose ears were so full of filth you could have grown potatoes in them :lol ...and yes I did clean them and they still got filthy :rolleyes:

Unless your dog is showing some kind of discomfort, or there is discharge or an unpleasant smell I would say that they don't have infected ears and apart from gentle routine cleaning as necessary they should be left well alone. (just my opinion)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Okey-doke. Then it's just a matter of keeping the ears cleaned out and dry - I check my crew's ears roughly once a month, though more often for Blitz since he has the history of multiple infections. The vet will (or has) probably give you an ear cleaner - we use OtiRinse at our clinic.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest LuckyGrey

Oh my goodness, Princess had ear infections for months after we got her. Finally after several rounds of antibiotics (clearing and coming back). It was suggested to get a culture of the bacteria. Good thing--it turned out to be a yeast infection. Once that was treated, she no longer had ear problems.

My boy Faolin had terrible problems with them. After years of trying everything, I started de-sensitization shots & it's never bothered him again. Wish I had tried it earlier (so does he).

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

None of my dogs has ever had an ear infection....even bridgekid Scully whose ears were so full of filth you could have grown potatoes in them :lol ...and yes I did clean them and they still got filthy :rolleyes:

Unless your dog is showing some kind of discomfort, or there is discharge or an unpleasant smell I would say that they don't have infected ears and apart from gentle routine cleaning as necessary they should be left well alone. (just my opinion)

We've been cleaning them weekly with a rinse the vet gave me. My dal's ears are always nasty....you can clean them weekly and they always look like they've never been cleaned!

• 9 months later...
Guest Javagirl

To follow up on this topic, my Ladd has been shaking his ears in the last few days and itching them as well. Partly I wonder if its a hyper sensitivity on my part because I started wondering about his ears and now I'm just staring at him all the time waiting for him to do something. He doesn't have any gunk or a bad smell and I gently cleaned his ears with the ear cleansing solution we got from the vet when we first got him (lots of debris from the kennel). I don't know at what point I should be concerned and take him to the vet or if I should just wait and see if things get any worse.

My only concern is that he has been splashing and romping in the water with the local dogs at the park and having a great time, even trying to play with the other dogs, which is such a rare thing for him so I let him play - but maybe some water got in his ears? Just a thought.

:dunno

Any help is appreciated,

Kristyn

Guest EmilyAnne

In response to ^^^ my Riley who has had many ear infections in his lifetime, one of the first symptoms is he will walk with his head cocked to one side. The side cocked downwards is the side of the offending ear.