Henry Hasn't Been Grand-mal Free This Long For A Long Time!

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Tomorrow morning, (provided we have an UNeventful night), Henry will have made it 3 weeks without a seizure. I am so thrilled.

He started the home cooked diet July 24th. His last grand-mal was July 17th. The one before that was 9 days prior.

Before the new home cooked diet, Henry was having daily flycatcher seizures. (a very minor form of focal seizures) That has stopped happening on a daily basis, though this evening he had a small episode of fly catchers for the first time since starting the diet.

The flycatchers he had this evening make me a little nervous he may have a grand-mal tonight.

It's been a long road these last few months figuring out what works for Henry. I really think we have ound the best possible home cooked recipe for him. That plus I know now Flagyl and raw fish are major triggers for him. I also learned about the ice pack trick which has helped immensely. The 12 grand-mals he has had since March 11th just would not have been do-able without the ice pack. I would have put him back on pheno a long time ago if I did not have the ice pack trick.

Paul, I can't thank you enough or all your support and sharing Lucky's recipe.

I'll update in the morning and let you know if he officially made it to the three weeks mark!

:yay:yay You go Henry. Emily, obviously you and Paul are really on to something, and I can't tell you how thrilled I am for all of you. Please give that handsome boy of yours a big hug from his fan club here in the desert

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

You go Henry!! :clap:yay :yay :clap keep it up sweetheart. Hoping the night is completely uneventful :):goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest EmilyAnne

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

We made it!!!!! :confetti:bounce1:banana:cool:rivethead:couchjump:pinkele:baloons:bounce8:balloonparty:pepper

Henry is now THREE WEEKS grand-mal free!!!

Henry says: :star

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest Greytminds

I am so happy for you guys congradulations Henry. Ok mommy remember that recipe for baked treats I told you about.

Sounds like Henry deserves some home baked goodies ;)

Keep it up Henry :clap:clap

Paul

Guest EmilyAnne
I am so happy for you guys congradulations Henry. Ok mommy remember that recipe for baked treats I told you about.

Sounds like Henry deserves some home baked goodies ;)

Keep it up Henry :clap:clap

Paul

Henry already celebrated by eating the cat food. <_<:rolleyes:

I had to clean out my pm's. Any chance you could share that recipe one more time, and then I'll share it on my blog?

Way to Go!!!! :grouphug:wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Greytminds

:chow:chow:chow:chow

VEGGIE MUFFINS: 21/2 cups of Brown Rice Flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 cup cheddar or goats cheese (goat cheese obviously less fatening)

1 cup of grated carrot,apple,zuccini mixture.

2 large eggs

1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin. Combine the flour and baking powder mix well. Add cheese and veggies and use your fingers to mix them into the flour until well distributed. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Wisk in the milk and vegetable oil. Pour this over the flour mixture and stir gently until just combined. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins feel springy. Be sure to let muffins cool before letting your dog do any taste testing!

:dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie

Veggie Houndbonz: 3 cups minced parsley

1/4 cup carrot

1/4 cup Zuchinni

1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

2 tablespoons olive oil

2-3/4 cups brown rice flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup water - possibly more

Preheat oven to 350 F rack on middle level. Lightly grease baking sheet.

Stir parsley, carrots, zuccchini, cheese and oil. Combine all the dry ingredients and add to veggies. Gradually add wat mixing well. Make a moist, but not wet dough. Knead for one minute.

Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Using cookie cutter cut out shapes and transfer them to a baking sheet. Reroll the scrapes and continue until dough is all used up.

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until biscuits have brownrd and hardened slightly. They will harden more as they cool. Store in airtight container.

I have made the muffins but not the biscuits as of yet.

Again congrats to the wonderful news of a wonderful hound.

Paul

Guest Maire

THANK YOU !! My Kharma has very viloent grand mals, and the post ictals consist of running about the room & bumping into furniture, getting stuck in between things. She's had epilepsy for about 4 yrs. She is on maximun doses of K Bromide & just 60mg Pb in divided doses. She curiously has her seizures in the morning, before I go to work( thank goodness.) The longest she's gone is 3 mos- at the beginning it was every 2 wks. I even had to re-home my first greyh because she would attack her during the seizures, broke my heart, of course.

I'm going to try the ice trick for sure, and I think I'll go back to Canidae for her. I really appreciate all this help--and I'll get the ice cream, too.

Don't feel I've gotten a lot of help from my Vet & the neurologist more than medications. I'm an RN myself, but it's so different when it's your own dog.. I hope this will help her !!!

Guest Greytminds

Marie,

If at all possible I would try the cooked diet even the best kibble burns off the vitamins and minerals in the baking process. It also has perservatives in it that can cause issues. The veggie goop is high in Vitamin B as is the call of the wild supplement.

Good Luck and welcome to our ban of unfortunate hounds.

Paul

Guest EmilyAnne

Marie,

It makes my day to help another person discover the ice pack trick!

I have found the important things are no Flagyl whatsoever, no raw fish, (actually raw altogether did not work out), the ice pack trick, and then, very importantly, the home cooked diet.

I was at my last straw when I tried the homecooked recipe Greytminds shared with me. If this would not have worked, I would have thrown in the towel and went to relying on drugs to control the seizures because I had tried every other kind of diet, including B.A.R.F., raw, and several different kinds of kibble.

What I do, is prepare large batches of everything in advance, and freeze a lot of it. I boil the meat in a stock pot, pretty simple, then after I remove the meat, I dump a bag of gluten free long grain brown rice in the liquid the meat was cooked in. Let that cook 50 minutes, then divide up and freeze/refrigerate. The Veggie Goop I make about every three weeks. Just run it all through the food processor, bag up and freeze/refrigerate.

Once you get into the rhythm, it gets easier.

Let us know how the ice pack works out! (Hopefully you won't even need it, but if you do..)

Emily

Editing to add: There's no one size fits all for all hounds. Don't drop all meds and do this as a replacement to the meds. If you do lower meds, do it ever so gradual.

Edited by EmilyAnne