Weight

Guest lauri

Guest lauri

Sorry...

YEP!!! It's me again.

Miles is a small but thick male. Ideally 70-73 lbs. is a perfect weight.

He's down to 58.7 lbs. today. (notice I HAD to add the .7) :huh This weight has been lost in about the last three weeks.

He's eaten every day for the last 10 days. Be it very little; not a full days meal so far, but somedays almost. He's not eaten since last night and he'd digested before the throwing up both yesterday and this morning.

How much weight is a Grey able to lose before starving?

And will he eventually eat the 'Frankenfood' (Hill'sZD) if he's desperate?

Guest lauri

Ulcer was suspected. Now possible Inflammatory Bowel Disease. He's on Flagyl as of 8 p.m.; every twelve hours now. Also a prescription food to rule out food allergies or sensitivities. This food and NOTHING else period.

Been checked for everything, BUT he's being tested for giardia - has a fever today, but not before. Stomach issues have been going on for a few months on and off...the last two weeks being the worst. diarreah, vomiting, eating just fine, THEN not eating,(but shows signs of WANTING to eat), weight loss from 'dogorexia', pain in belly, eating grass...

Original post...damn...I could have wrtten a book! Never thought I'd post so much in the health section! <_<

Guest longdogs

That's a lot of weight coming off. If he were well he'd definitely be hungry enough to eat whatever is available, so I don't think it's a matter of hunger that is keeping him away from the ZD. Can you tempt him with anything? Will he take something like a chunk of cooked sausage or a piece of liver if you hand-feed him? I'm haunted by how skeletal William got when he was sick, dropping from 75lb to under 50lb. He pulled through on that occasion and eventually regained most of his weight, but we had to hand-feed him small quantities of anything he would eat whenever he would eat it. That was a horrible time and I hope you find the problem before it gets that bad. Prednisone can work wonders in restoring their appetite.

Guest lauri

If he's not improved much in 48 hours on the flagyl, she'll give prednisone.

Not too happy about that but I know when I was on it for a horrible allergic reaction, I wanted to constantly eat!

We're ruling out food allergies so he can't eat anything but the stuff they prescribed. He needs to reduce the inflammation and pain, and trying to find anything possible to get him to eat more is probably what's irritating the tummy even worse.

It's not like he's not hungry. He seems to be associating eating with the pain in his tummy. He'll lick his lips and even act interested in food, just won't eat.

He' sleeping really soundly now and is even having a running dream. We've noticed when he's not well he doesn't dream...

How much of a fever does he have? Does vet know he has fever?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lauri
That is just about Cosmo's size-both start and when he got Valley Fever...Where did Miles come from? AZ or NM?

Caliente. He's been with us over 5 years.

You can syringe-feed him if need be. It's not nearly as traumatic as it sounds, I promise. Presoak his prescription kibble with lots of water overnight in the fridge, then liquify it, adding enough water that it's syringe-able in a food processer or blender, and syringe it into the side of his mouth. Your pharmacy can give you an oral syringe. I suggest cutting the very tip off to make the opening a bit larger so tiny food particles don't clog it too easily. You'd have to do this multiple times daily to get the full amount of servings in. When I was feeding Marla this way, I pre-prepared two days worth of kibble at a time, storing the "soup" in the fridge, so I wasn't constantly working in the kitchen. It's painstaking, but it will work. :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest paulamariez

Are you feeding him the canned or kibble? Bueller totally won't eat kibble stuff. And when he's in his not eating mode, I will sit with him and literally take chunks of the canned food and feed it to him by hand. He will eat it that way, but not straight from the bowl. I don't know why. Maybe the attention makes them feel better? I don't know. But I've been desperate to get him to eat before, and that's what I did!

He has been tested recently for tick diseases, fungals, and valley fever, hasn't he?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
He's had one whole can...hand fed and then some soaked kibble with canned mixed in. YAY!!!

SUPER NEWS!!!

Hopefully once he figures out that the food doesn't hurt his tummy any longer he will start eating like a champ.