I'm So Tired...

Guest lauri

Guest lauri

I think I'm going to go into a corner and curl up into a fetal position...

Miles is doing the moaning and shivering again. Mike came home to throw-up with grass in it and some foamy puke on his bed. Early this morning there was slimy mucousy puke with grass and some bile puke next to it. Both times no undigested food in the puke, so at least he's getting some nutrients.

Did the check outside this morning and still no poop - just streaks of brown like he's been pooping water poop. I took him off of the cottage cheese as suggested here, I've used pumpkin. Nothing has firmed up his poop. It's pure brown liquid.

I feel the moaning and shivering could either be nausea or maybe gas pains. He's burping an awful lot.

He's been on the Sucralfate again 5 days so far. I'm not sure if the Pepcid is doing anything!

I'm so afraid that if I take him to the vets again it'll be the SAME old thing. Maybe I should have them do another blood panel and fecal? I called Dr. Diana and asked about pancreatits and she said the blood panel woould have indicated something since he was already in a crisis when the blood was drawn. I COULD always try a different vet, but the clinic HAS different vets and he's seen two so far for the same issue.

I bought a bunch of burger from the store. I remember someone posting to maybe change the protein source so I'm going to try this. He's really never been on beef before...always poultry. How do I boil burger and how do I get him to eat rice?

F@%#! If i have to deal with my own cancer and then this crap! :angryfire

ANd what's with all the posts about stomach sick pups lately? It's very frighteneing! :blink:

Edited by lauri

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry not to have any advice, but I can actually feel your stress through your post. All I can offer are good thoughts and prayers that things start to turn around for you and for Miles

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

No reason he has to eat rice at all. If he doesn't like it, you could try potatoes or pasta or millet. Or you could feed just meat. To maintain weight, when eating just meat, 56-58 lb. Zema eats @ 1 lb. per day of beef WITH fat.

Put the burger in a pan with some water -- maybe 3/4ths cup of water for each pound of meat. Cook on medium -- you don't want the meat to get brown and crispy, just to cook gently. Break it up with a spatula as it cooks. When meat no longer pink, remove from heat. Lift meat out with a slotted spoon (or just a spoon, draining against the side of the pan as you go). Put the meat in one bowl and the liquid from cooking in another.

The meat is now reasonably well defatted. You can add back some fat from the other bowl if you want, to increase calories. Once the bowl of liquids has been refrigerated, it'll have fat on the top, juices on the bottom. You can add as much of the juice to his meals as you like.

Hugs and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jerrybird

Add water to hamburger (enough to cover meat well) and boil away until cooked through; then drain off water and fat. Add cooked rice and that's that. Sometimes I think that just the smell of cooking meat perks an appetite.

No help here, just hugs. I'm so sorry you and Miles are having such a hard time. Not to make it any harder, but could your stress levels be affecting Miles, do you think? Swat me down if you need to, but just the possible suggestion of maybe some stress-reducing stuff like yoga, tai chi, meditation .... hot baths with chamomile, kava kava, massage :)

Have you tried Rescue Remedy for Miles (or yourself?) yet?

Just throwing stuff out there hoping something might help.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest vahoundlover

I cook hamburger for the kids like Batmom does. As far as the rice...Boss will only eat it if it's been cooked a long long time... Sorry you and Miles are having such a rough go of it. :(:grouphug

Guest Winterwish

I'm sorry Miles is having such a hard time of it. The moaning and shivering is definitely a concern for sure.

Will he take ensure with milk added?

Sending good thoughts out for Miles! :hope:getwell

Edited by Winterwish

Is he still drinking water/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Winterwish

Also,just to mention,when cooking the chopped meat,just in case there's a mix of words that make it unclear,just in case-- chopped meat often referred to as 'hamburger' meat.

For boiling the chopped,or hamburger meat,you'd need to actually form it into an actual hamburger -- so that it stays together in the water and cooking process. just want to clarify that if need be.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry to hear that he's not improving. :(

Did you ever deworm him? Even if the stool sample is negative.

He's probably eating grass because he doesn't feel well, but the grass will make him vomit if he eats too much. I would keep him from eating too much grass, it might be stressing his tummy.

Guest greyhoundluv

Maybe a good greyhound savvy vet would be worth looking and traveling too. Something is not right. The longer you wait the worse it seems to be getting. I do not know where in SoCal you are located, but I do know of a terrific vet in San Diego that may be able to figure out what is up with your poor Miles.

Guest MAXNAV

Did he have an ultrasound done? If he were my guy, that's the next step I would take, just to be sure that there's nothing evident, tumor, etc. I hope you can figure out what's going on with the poor guy. We're thinking of you.

Guest Dillymom

I was told to give mine cooked oatmeal to firm up her stools. It really made a much bigger difference than the pumpkin did.

Guest MAXNAV

Actually, they use applesauce for babies and toddlers when they need "firming up" too. I would think that fruit wouldn't be what you'd want to give, but that's always what my pediatrician told me.

I was always told to use boiled white rice with maybe a little boiled chicken for the dogs. It always worked for my guys.

:grouphug I don't know the whole history here but have you tried turkey?

I actually bake a turkey and add it to Iams Lamb & Rice kibble (you don't have to do this but I would stay away from a kibble that contains any other products that seem to upset Miles tummy) ....this has FINALLY stopped her stomach from gurgling and firm poops.

I think the turkey is very soothing to their intestinal tract.

Edited by Fudge

Sorry I'm a bit behind with this but what do the vets say they think the problem is?

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest lizmego

When Power was having tummy and Big D issues, our holistic vet recommended browning ground beef or turkey - THEN RINSING IT IN WATER. This is a must to remove the grease and fat that could further upset the digestive tract. Then mix the rinsed browned ground beef with rice. She recommended 2 parts rice to 1 part beef. But that is all you feed, no treats, no cottage cheese, no pumpkin. If there is a tummy/digestive tract issue, you need to "re-boot" the digestive tract with a bland diet. Good luck!

I also agree that if you don't want to use rice, use macroni pasta instead.

Edited by lizmego

Guest mandm

I'd feed just boiled ground beef, well rinsed to get rid of the fat. I'd add bone meal to firm the stool, rather than rice, pasta or potatoes. About 1 tsp of bonemeal per lb of meat. Get the human grade bonemeal at a supplement store, don't use the garden stuff. Bonemeal is beef, so you are not adding a new protein.

It's an expensive diet, but it sounds like you are willing to pay for a little peace of mind.

Guest lauri
Ask about trying prilosec. Are you feeding him smaller meals, more often?

Yes...smaller meals.

No help here, just hugs. I'm so sorry you and Miles are having such a hard time. Not to make it any harder, but could your stress levels be affecting Miles, do you think? Swat me down if you need to, but just the possible suggestion of maybe some stress-reducing stuff like yoga, tai chi, meditation .... hot baths with chamomile, kava kava, massage :)

Have you tried Rescue Remedy for Miles (or yourself?) yet?

Just throwing stuff out there hoping something might help.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

Seriously, I haven't been stressed abou tmy condition. I'm feeling good and things are normal for now. I'm actually getting ready to go on a hike at the mission. B) i was thinking about Rescue remedy but can it be given on an empty stomach?

Is he still drinking water/

Yep! And I've monitored it. Not TOO much, but his regular amount.

Guest lauri
Did he have an ultrasound done? If he were my guy, that's the next step I would take, just to be sure that there's nothing evident, tumor, etc. I hope you can figure out what's going on with the poor guy. We're thinking of you.

In April he had every test imagineable except an endoscopy. Radiographs, ultrasound, urinalysis, fecals, bloodwork, etc. He had bleeding fom the stomach and it's been determined he may have ulcers as these episodes have started when we've taken him somewhere and e sresses out, or this time we just got back form vacation and he started in again. He was home, at our house, with Grama whom he loves to death.